Scope for the new Cz 527 .223 Varmint

Hi all,

I recently picked up a CZ 527 chambered in .223. It's the varmint model with the heavy barrel. I've been on the paper with it consistently, which is a testimony to the gun rather than to my shooting ability! When I got it, I cannibalised the Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40 that came with my Savage Axis II .308. The scope has worked well, but I'm hoping to put new glass on the CZ and return the Weaver to the Savage. I'm using the CZ for range shooting right now, my home range goes out to 200 yards, though there is a range close by that goes out to 500. I'm interested in distance shooting. I'd also like to use the rifle for hunting at some point in the future.

Given the club discount from our friends at Athlos, I'm looking at one of two scopes for the rifle and would love insight/wisdom from folks. Here's the essential tension. Do I go with the 4-14x44 FFP to learn how to use this type of reticle or do I go with more magnification in the 6-24x50 SFP? There's a little price difference, but they are both in the budget.

Thanks!

Here are the two scopes:

Talos BTR 4-14x44 https://www.2aos.com/talos-btr-4-14x44- ... fp-ir-mil/
or
Talos 6-24x50 https://www.2aos.com/talos-6-24x50-capp ... dc-600-ir/
"Time in an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so." Ford Prefect

Re: Scope for the new Cz 527 .223 Varmint

There are a few substantial differences between the two- FFP is First Focal Plane- the 4-14 has that, while the 6-24 does not. What it means in real life is that the reticle, when using it for bullet drop, is the same on the FFP scope at all magnifications. With the second focal plane scope on the latter, the reticle will appear the same at all magnifications, but the holdover for bullet drop is only accurate at one magnification.

If you're only going to use one magnification largely, then SFP is totally fine. SFP is far more common and less expensive to make, but FFP is gaining in popularity.

The second major difference between the two is the size of the exit pupil. On the first one the exit pupil is larger, meaning it's easier to line your eye up with the scope.

If it was me I'd go for the first one- it's a little more expensive with lower magnification, but the FFP and exit pupil would push me towards it for sure. It will make for more fun and easier use.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Scope for the new Cz 527 .223 Varmint

I'll help you out as my good hunting buddies helped me. I over the last year have stopper just listening to the staff workers in hunting shops. You can look up what is the best on the market at many rifle scopes review sites and think of what you like best. Store workers try to sell you complete junk. I would much rather hear peoples opinions. It's why I decided to join this forum not only to learn but to also provide some information that I might have. Would be interesting to know what glass you will like most. I love the Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16×44 Riflescope.