Cheap Rimfire Rifle Scope

In the sprit of the “Cheap pistol scope thread,” I’d like opinions on cheap rimfire rifle scopes.

I bought my Marlin 60 used from the original owner 25 years ago with the factory option 4x scope. The crosshairs came loose and started rotating. I broke them trying to fix. At that time, you could only get a factory scope thru a gun store, so they were too expensive (and internet wasn’t what it is today). Since I paid $50 for the rifle, I have always balked at spending more than next to nothing on a scope for it.

But I’m trying to move forward.

What can I get for under $100 that will fit the dinky (5/8”? 3/4”?) standard rings?

I plink and aspire to squirrel hunt before I die.

Re: Cheap Rimfire Rifle Scope

Yeah, just remember, it's a 22. You're not going to go much beyond 100 yards very often with it, and recoil is limited, so getting something that is overkill is pretty pointless. I went with the Primary Arms 1-4x, I think it was $120 or so? But yeah, the BSA would probably be fine.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

If you are going to get a variable power scope I think getting the best you can afford is the way to go. they aren't worth it if they wont hold a good zero when being adjusted. Plus at the high magnification the fish eye blur will get much bigger while the sight picture gets smaller. For a 22 rifle that is not a precision target piece personally I would buy a fixed power scope. preferably 2.5 power.

Cheap Rimfire Rifle Scope

I just picked up a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 today for $99. Nice, bright image and good focus across the field. I have not shot with it yet but I like the size on one of my lightweight Kidd 10/22s.

If anyone is interested, I have two scopes that I don’t need. Both were only mounted on .22 LR rifles and both are in good condition with a few minor scratches.

1. Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40, variable focus, BDC reticle.

2. Mueller APV 4.5-14X40, variable focus

Will sell either or both. Make me an offer.

I’m also looking for a budget rimfire(22lr) scope, for a gift for my father. He has a cheap scope on his squirrel rifle that doesn’t have adjustable parallax and that frustrates him. I haven’t hunted in 25 years and don’t know much about this stuff. We don’t want to spend too much because he is cheap and would probably get mad if we got him something even moderately high end.

This is what I have on my Ruger Takedown Lite. It’s less than $100 and good enough to earn an Appleseed Rifleman patch. The front objective lens can be adjusted to be parallax-free from 3ft to infinity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UGIMNQ/re ... UFbX1F91VH

As a bonus:
- 3-9x adjustable
- Sealed & nitrogen filled (fog proof)
- 1/4 MOA click adjustment
- Illuminated crosshairs with adjustable brightness
- QD scope mount included

Obviously not the best glass in the industry, but a real good value for the money.

Because it’s small it doesn’t look ungainly on a .22LR rifle.
7653FAB9-928F-4CB2-8A61-9232205E80C5.jpeg
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:34 pm This is what I have on my Ruger Takedown Lite. It’s less than $100 and good enough to earn an Appleseed Rifleman patch. The front objective lens can be adjusted to be parallax-free from 3ft to infinity.

As a bonus:
- 3-9x adjustable

Obviously not the best glass in the industry, but a real good value for the money.

So it’s not marketed specifically as a rimfire scope but it works okay in that application? My dad’s main issue with the scope he has now is that it’s blurry at closer distances, how is this one for shots at 10 to 20 yards?

UncleJon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 pm
Stiff wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:34 pm This is what I have on my Ruger Takedown Lite. It’s less than $100 and good enough to earn an Appleseed Rifleman patch. The front objective lens can be adjusted to be parallax-free from 3ft to infinity.

As a bonus:
- 3-9x adjustable

So it’s not marketed specifically as a rimfire scope but it works okay in that application? My dad’s main issue with the scope he has now is that it’s blurry at closer distances, how is this one for shots at 10 to 20 yards?
It has an adjustable front lens, I can focus it to as close as 3’ or 1 yard, ridiculous as it sounds. Appleseed targets are set 25 meters out, and they look sharp when I adjust the objective lens accordingly. My local indoor range is roughly 20 yards max, and it works fine.

It basically has 6 controls: Elevation, windage, illumination, parallax (front lens), focus (rear lens), and magnification.

The front lens is adjustable for target distance, the rear lens is adjustable to compensate for a near sighted or far sighted eye.
Last edited by Stiff on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stiff wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:35 pm
UncleJon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 pm

As a bonus:
- 3-9x adjustable

It has an adjustable front lens, I can focus it to as close as 3’ or 1 yard, ridiculous as it sounds. Appleseed targets are set 25 meters out, and they look sharp when I adjust the objective lens accordingly. My local indoor range is roughly 20 yards max, and it works fine.

It basically has 6 controls: Elevation, windage, illumination, parallax (front lens), focus (rear lens), and zoom.

The front lens is adjustable for target distance, the rear lens is adjustable to compensate for a near sighted or far sighted eye.
Awesome thank you! I’m buying one.

Stiff wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:51 pm
UncleJon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 pm
Cool! Just make sure he knows it’s adjustable. A lot of folks (me included) skip the manual.
Will do. One last thing, his 22 rifle is from the 70s I believe, will this scope we able to mount okay on it? I’d go over there when he was gone and have a look at it but with covid I’m not going over to visit or anything for now.

UncleJon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:29 pm
Stiff wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:51 pm
UncleJon wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 pm
Cool! Just make sure he knows it’s adjustable. A lot of folks (me included) skip the manual.
Will do. One last thing, his 22 rifle is from the 70s I believe, will this scope we able to mount okay on it? I’d go over there when he was gone and have a look at it but with covid I’m not going over to visit or anything for now.
Old rifles typically have dovetail rails instead of Picatinny. You may need to buy an adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IWPI3EY/re ... WFbAPAXF14

Or, you can replace the included rings with the ones that mount to dovetail rails.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C20028/re ... WFbTJ5D4E9