PCC scope: Nikon 3x

Greetings.

I have a Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm. Right now it has Bushnell holographic 30mm tube sight, 1x. I have been eyeing the Nikon 3x scope for years now as a possible upgrade. It's short enough to fit between the raised "iron" sights (about 10" apart from each other). The only thing I don't like about it are the unnecessary target knobs which add weight and bulk. I wear progressive glasses for everything except shooting, so magnification would help even at 50 yards. Well, it's now or never for Nikon scopes, so...what's your thought? :see_stars:
Yet she persisted.

Re: PCC scope: Nikon 3x

I have used Nikon scopes a lot in Service Rifle competition, and for some other purposes, and always been satisfied. Glass quality always seemed better than US Weavers, about on par with US Redfield. I have also used Bushnell products, and at least over the past 20 years they don't work worth a single, solitary expletive, especially if sight adjustments were necessary.

The Nikon scope I have used most was a Refurb 1-4x, with a dedicated .223 reticle with aiming circles for 100, 200, 300, 400 500 and 600. It has the big target knobs, which have always been a worry for being rubbed off zero as put into or pulled out of a case, but I have never seen it happen. I would always rather have a US-made scope, but I've had a lot more trouble with tracking: shots being off call using a vaguely similar and much more expensive Leupold.

I used to do a lot of shooting with hunting rifles at deer and Woodchucks at ranges out to about 400 yards. I never felt the absolute need for more than 4X, so 3X at 50 yards should allow you to see what you need at 50 yards, but it may be too much magnification. Too much magnification, and you're looking at the world through a drinking straw.

The CX4 is not a precision instrument like a target rifle. Are you seeing what you need to with the 1X Bushnell? Is price the only reason you are looking at the 3X Nikon? Natchez has had a lot of Nikon refurbs recently, some of them variables, including 1-4X.

What kind of shooting are you doing with the CX4? If it is any sort of quick reaction shooting, competitors seem to have primary optics with a magnification of up to 4X, and a side-saddle 1X red dot, even when their primary optics are something like a 1-6X variable.
Last edited by NuJudge on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.