Flashlight geeks, lemmie have it!

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Simmer down
Site Admin

Re: Flashlight geeks, lemmie have it!

#26 Post by Simmer down » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:45 pm

I had a sweet compact FourSeven but I can't find the tiny thing :confused:
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

#27 Post by SailDesign » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Simmer down wrote:I had a sweet compact FourSeven but I can't find the tiny thing :confused:
Oh, don't give the unwashed masses ammo like THAT. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

RobertS
Been around awhile

#28 Post by RobertS » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:45 am

I did finally get my PD35 with a charger. 1K lumens.

Here's the thing.

I think I might have sat or slept on it in such a way as my body pressed the switch in the back and kept it on.

There is a hole melted through the bottom of the holster now. I'm going to have to buy a new holster for it now.

Deep13
Been around awhile

#29 Post by Deep13 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 pm

EDC, 7Sevens Mini CR1.

General purpose, Fenix LD20 or 4Sevens Quark Pro 123(2). All out of production. Consider Fenix LD22, PD35

Car light, 4Sevens Quark Turbo (special 500 lumen model). Consider Fenix PD35

Gun, Streamlight TLR-3 or 4.

Forehead, 4Sevens Mini CR123 on their headband.
Yet she persisted.

Maccabee
Been around awhile

#30 Post by Maccabee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Imma gonna bump this dusty thread to ask for some advice:

I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

The one prerequisite is that is has to have a tail switch with a momentary on feature.

Any help is appreciated.

drigeba
Loquacious

#31 Post by drigeba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am

I like my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. It is my EDC flashlight and is just about the right size. Your pockets can fill up really quickly with stuff sometimes..

It's modestly powered 350 lumens, but can also be used at 75 lumens. It has a tail cap switch which you can set up the sequence of light modes: 350 lumens, strobe, 75 lumens. The tail cap can also be used as a momentary on switch.

It can take either Lithium CR 123 A or 1 AA battery. For maximum output you need the lithium battery.

It also has a nifty pocket clip that doubles as a hat clip for hands free use. I use mine all the time to look for stray parts that make their way on to the garage floor, when I'm an Range Safety officer it's useful for looking into Dark Places. (wooooo..scary)

It's around $40.00 or so on sale. I got mine at Midway..

best of luck!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.
ImageImage

Stiff
Loquacious

#32 Post by Stiff » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 am

Maccabee wrote:Imma gonna bump this dusty thread to ask for some advice:

I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

The one prerequisite is that is has to have a tail switch with a momentary on feature.

Any help is appreciated.
My current EDC is an Inova XP. It is probably one of the most rugged pen lights out there, at half your budget. I carry it over my titanium Thrunite because this guy has an almost flat tail switch. Why is a flat tail switch important? Because in my jeans pocket it won't be clicked on accidentally when I sit.

It has both momentary and permanent on. It is heavily biased for momentary on though, because it almost takes a gorilla thumb to make it click. I rarely use the constant on, so the heavy recessed switch doesn't bother me.

Ronin
Been around awhile

#33 Post by Ronin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 am

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#34 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am

My EDC is a J5 Tactical. For $10, it's survived a trips to Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland with nary a scratch. Weighs almost nothing, works off one AA battery, and cheap to boot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S9 ... UTF8&psc=1
LGC Texas - Central Region President

Maccabee
Been around awhile

#35 Post by Maccabee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for the replies. That Streamlight sounds like a good place to start.

I have a couple of the J5 hyper V lights and they’re great for the price, but they lack the momentary on feature.

PiratePenguin
Chatty

#36 Post by PiratePenguin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Maccabee wrote:I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

This site might be useful:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index ... ntary+tail

How big is "smallish"? I've got a Nitecore P12, 1000 lumens, runs off of an 18650. It was around that price with charger and battery. Size-wise it's about an inch in diameter and about 5 1/2" long.

Maccabee
Been around awhile

#37 Post by Maccabee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

PiratePenguin wrote:
Maccabee wrote:I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

This site might be useful:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index ... ntary+tail

How big is "smallish"? I've got a Nitecore P12, 1000 lumens, runs off of an 18650. It was around that price with charger and battery. Size-wise it's about an inch in diameter and about 5 1/2" long.
That’s about as big as I would go. Looks like a great option, too. Thanks.

Wino
Chatty

#38 Post by Wino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I have a TerraLUX TT5 I've had for several years. No problems and good light albeit on the expensive side. Have been looking at the following, primarily as it has the momentary on feature which I like, as an addition to my flashlight family. Have several brands of CREE lights around the house (we have power pole "grasshopper" switch problems during storms and utility has to come out to reset) and in autos (slowly replacing Mini-Maglites as they fail)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EI ... _qh_dp_hza
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member

#39 Post by DavidMS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm

I have a Streamlight ProTac 1AA. It sounds like it will fit your needs.

Maccabee
Been around awhile

#40 Post by Maccabee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

drigeba wrote:I like my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. It is my EDC flashlight and is just about the right size. Your pockets can fill up really quickly with stuff sometimes..

It's modestly powered 350 lumens, but can also be used at 75 lumens. It has a tail cap switch which you can set up the sequence of light modes: 350 lumens, strobe, 75 lumens. The tail cap can also be used as a momentary on switch.

It can take either Lithium CR 123 A or 1 AA battery. For maximum output you need the lithium battery.

It also has a nifty pocket clip that doubles as a hat clip for hands free use. I use mine all the time to look for stray parts that make their way on to the garage floor, when I'm an Range Safety officer it's useful for looking into Dark Places. (wooooo..scary)

It's around $40.00 or so on sale. I got mine at Midway..

best of luck!
DavidMS wrote:I have a Streamlight ProTac 1AA. It sounds like it will fit your needs.
Just got my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendations.