Re: What are you carrying today? (knife edition)

Fukshot wrote: Buck 102 ?
AmirMortal wrote:I like CRKT, but Gerber uses really soft steels, and yeah, they barely take and won't hold an edge. I've actually been really impressed by some recent experience with Buck. Their 420HC should be garbage, according to internet 'conventional wisdom' but it seems to take a scary sharp edge and hold on to it for dear life (considering the price)! Seriously considering ordering one of these soon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NJ2ET ... 9EV1X6HX9N

Really though I'd you just want performance and don't care as much about looks, this won Field & Stream best of the best award the year it was introduced. I've bought 3 of them so far, and given them all away as gifts, because they're so solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00322NAE ... 8X8MIQ0RAH
Thanks for the suggestions. While looking I also saw this one which looks neat but doesn't strike me as being an EDC kind of blade. Fails the no tacticool test... :whistle:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I ... PDKIKX0DER

Probably be either the Buck 102 or the Cold Steel one for me.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:So who makes a decent fixed blade utility/hunting knife these days? A nice woods knife that doesn't scream tacticool. Preferably at a minimal budget level?

These days I've got knives from Gerber & CRKT but they're folders. Well, except for the supposed USAF survival knife that I've never been able to sharpen decently.
Anza knives, also what about the Scandinavian makers. Helle, Brusletto, Eka etc. I bought two Eriksson Grandfather knives a while back for $24 each. They both looked like the bottom one initially, until I decided to work on one of them:

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

Cleaned stalls and took care of horses around the ranch after all the rain, so I took my big folder Kershaw Cryo which is a authorized Rick Hinderer knockoff. I tend to buy inexpensive Kershaws that I occasionally donate to the TSA Knife Collection.

Most days I carry a Kershaw Skyline and I keep Morakniv Craftlines in our bug out bags. Range bag and vehicles have Leathermans. I've made it a point to give the nieces and nephews potentially dangerous things for Christmas, last year was archery sets. This year it's knives.

wlewisiii wrote:So who makes a decent fixed blade utility/hunting knife these days? A nice woods knife that doesn't scream tacticool. Preferably at a minimal budget level?

These days I've got knives from Gerber & CRKT but they're folders. Well, except for the supposed USAF survival knife that I've never been able to sharpen decently.

Try here

http://vultureequipmentworks.com
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Just an inexpensive Gerber Paraframe with a wobbly blade. It'll cut most things, has a half serrated blade and if I lose it I'm not kicking myself all over creation.

But if I ever have the money in my pocket, I'll be getting one of these.

That's a 3" Damascus steel knife, with a dinosaur bone handle. Also offered in Wooly Mammoth Ivory and mammoth tooth.

Of course if they had serrated blades I'd be all over these two. 22 Gram Pocket Knife Carabiner knife
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

KnightsFan wrote:Just an inexpensive Gerber Paraframe with a wobbly blade. It'll cut most things, has a half serrated blade and if I lose it I'm not kicking myself all over creation.

< Blink > Wow. If I only had the terribly (heh) tiny number of pennies they want... I'd order that tonight. Beautiful.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Fukshot wrote:I have found the stone/fossil scales too heavy and fragile for everyday use.
I have no doubt. That one I'd happily put on a shelf though as an example of "just because" for my son.

That Buck or Cold Steel knife we were talking about remains a better daily use knife.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

nigel wrote:

Anza knives, also what about the Scandinavian makers. Helle, Brusletto, Eka etc. I bought two Eriksson Grandfather knives a while back for $24 each. They both looked like the bottom one initially, until I decided to work on one of them:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/257 ... rikson.jpg

I'm partial to these bushcraft knives from J. Marttiini (Finland).

The Condor Bushlore and Mora Bushcraft Black are also nice models. All an be had for >$50.

KnightsFan wrote:Just an inexpensive Gerber Paraframe with a wobbly blade. It'll cut most things, has a half serrated blade and if I lose it I'm not kicking myself all over creation.

That's a 3" Damascus steel knife, with a dinosaur bone handle. Also offered in Wooly Mammoth Ivory and mammoth tooth.

Of course if they had serrated blades I'd be all over these two. 22 Gram Pocket Knife Carabiner knife
I've never been able to figure out why people like serrated blades... Never. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
Fukshot wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's about sharpening?
As in "Those who don't know how must perforce use a serrated blade?"

That's why I like a straight blade.... :)
Exactly. :)

On the boat;

On land;
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
Fukshot wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's about sharpening?
As in "Those who don't know how must perforce use a serrated blade?"

That's why I like a straight blade.... :)
Exactly. :)

On the boat;

<snip Camillus pic>

On land;

<snip Swiss Army Knife pic>
I like the Camillus blade, but could never get on with the marlinspike on the back. Totally useless on today's boats, too. The Swiss Army knives just seem to use a crappy steel - never had one stay sharp on me.

My Roselli and the few pocket knives I use still will stay sharp for a month with pretty regular use.

How so is the marlinspike useless on today's boats, SailDesign? It seems to work just fine on the odd piece of jammed stayset.

I like the way a Swiss Army Knife takes or more correctly doesn't take an edge. It stays just barely sharp enough to be useful for most things for a long time. The big problem I have with them is the combination of aluminum, stainless steel and brass bearings in a salt environment. They have all kinds of galvanic issues and seize up.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:How so is the marlinspike useless on today's boats, SailDesign? It seems to work just fine on the odd piece of jammed stayset.

<snip>
Well, you can't use it to help splice today's ropes - shackles are designed to not need one (and have silly tabs rather than holes when they DO jam) and are being replaced by snap-shackles wherever possible anyway. I have not needed a spike on a boat in many years, although my sailing knife has one, but it's in the sheath next to the blade, right behind the pliers. :).