Holster Analysis Paralysis

I'm in the market for my first holster (Sig 229r 9mm) and I'm finding there are way too many options for my addled brain to filter. I'm looking for a good all around range and possibly carry OWB holster that is moderately priced.

Wondering if any of you have a suggestion or two to help narrow down the filed.

Thanks.

Re: Holster Analysis Paralysis

Maccabee wrote:I'm in the market for my first holster (Sig 229r 9mm) and I'm finding there are way too many options for my addled brain to filter. I'm looking for a good all around range and possibly carry OWB holster that is moderately priced.

Wondering if any of you have a suggestion or two to help narrow down the filed.

Thanks.
One word: Barranti.

Stiff wrote:You will end up with drawers full of holsters regardless. Alien Gear is a good place to start.

Please don't start with a $20 Fobus for a $800 gun. It's like wearing a $1000 suit with $30 pleather shoes.
I have a suitcase full of them.

I personally like the Galco Tuck and Go IWB holsters. A 229 is a wide gun, so make sure you pants are a size up and your belt gas an extra notch for concealment (yes, I know you said range and OWB, but thats how I carried my 229).

For OWB, I have a custom pancake holster from Rocky River Leather (here on this very forum). The only thing I would change is that it doesn't have a positive retention mechanism of any sort, really is an under the suitcoat holster, so I rarely use it. I only use Fobus for range work, too many videos of the paddle failing for me to put trust in it (though I expect its probably not as bad as they claim). Its fine on the range though and not expensive. Sig has a line of holsters as well.

I have an alien gear for another gun, solid holster.

Uncle Mike's stuff is cheap, might be able to try a couple for range work and see how they last.

I'd go for features, do you want a belt holster v pancake v paddle, thumb strap vs frame retention, etc, then narrow it down from there.

Maccabee wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I'd go for features, do you want a belt holster v pancake v paddle, thumb strap vs frame retention, etc, then narrow it down from there.
I'm leaning toward belt holster and frame retention. But I could be convinced otherwise.
I like paddles for the range, less likely my pants will fall down when getting armed :)

Paddles can be convenient. Belt is more secure. The supposed problem with the paddle Fobus is they fail, google/youtube has some "demonstrations" of that.

You probably want positive retention if the gun is going to be carried, nothing that touches the trigger like the Serpa, but something other than passive frame retention (also a "problem" with Fobus) for maximum weapon security and retention.

Like I said, I think Fobus is fine for range work, but if you are training, including a draw stroke, or planning on Open Carry outside the range upping the game is a good idea. Its also more expensive.

I know folks say nice things about Bianchi, I don't have any of their stuff for my autos, and my duty holster is kinda crap, probably going to check them out when I replace it.

I preferred my aiwb low riding leather holster at first and, while I still like it, I now prefer my hard molded leather OWB holster behind my left hip (yep, leftie) and beneath my shirt. Both conceal well and are very comfortable. My belly band is good, too. Very versatile. Oh... and the sticky pocket holster is a must have....

7 holsters and counting for that particular gun. My point? Don't think for a minute that you are going to be able to limit yourself to a single type of holster. Options are good. There are plenty of inexpensive holsters on Amazon and that is a good way to try out different styles. If you find a style you really like, start looking for a quality holster of that style.

And then there's Ebay, the land of misfit holsters! I have one that I can't even figure out WHAT kind of belt it might have been made for - It looks like it could be slid onto a cummerbund! But it's got such purty flowers stamped on it, and latigo stitching... Looks like it's from a sale at Rough Trade.

No matter what you order or from whom, just make sure you know what you want first!. If you want a retention strap...ask for one!
Most of mine, the request is simply for the formed leather, molded tight enough the gun should stay secure at the range, or casual carry.
IWB is usually the tightest held, rarely needing a retention strap because the belt holds it to the body.
Pancakes, bikinis style, Askin Avenger style, all have their pluses and minuses. IMHO, the pancake is the best OWB.
None of the holsters work without a heavy duty gun belt that does not deform when the gun is drawn. The slots on your holster should also fit the belt tightly, not like an inch belt in a 2" slot. The more room there is the sloppier the holster works.

There are lots of lists of makers. Some pretty long, but even if there's a hundred or more on the list, that's not that many actually in this Country doing it for a living. Everyone picks one of them from some rec they read online, or through word of mouth. As stated above, don't buy a $20 holster for a $1000 gun!

List of Holster Makers: https://www.linxnet.com/misc/guns/gunleather.html