Re: Holster Analysis Paralysis

That's a tough one. There are no molds for that gun. I'll call around a few oddball mold makers, and see if they have one. Other wise, you would need to ship the gun to my LGS, I would make one from it, and ship it all back. Not sure the Desert Eagle is the same size, but if it was, I might be able to find one local I could borrow,
pokute wrote:Hey Rockyriverleather, care to make me an Askins Avenger for a LAR Grizzly?

rockyriverleather wrote:That's a tough one. There are no molds for that gun. I'll call around a few oddball mold makers, and see if they have one. Other wise, you would need to ship the gun to my LGS, I would make one from it, and ship it all back. Not sure the Desert Eagle is the same size, but if it was, I might be able to find one local I could borrow,
pokute wrote:Hey Rockyriverleather, care to make me an Askins Avenger for a LAR Grizzly?
Some guy who had a 2 year waiting list told me that there was some company in Ohio that made molds out of Aluminum that had a LAR Grizzly mold. I think he said it was about $75. I'll see if I can find a Deagle to compare. I think there's a guy down the hall with one.

I just recently picked up a holster for a class. One of the guys in the class with a new Fobus had it disintegrate on his second or third draw. :shock: The belt clip or paddle separated from the holster. He had to go into the store and get a replacement.

There seem to be relatively few holster options for the SP-01 and I didn't have time before the class to wait for a holster to be made, so I went with a Blade-tech Classic OWB with the Tek-Lok. It's nothing special, but it worked perfectly for the class and I found the Tek-Lok to be a great way to secure it. It cost about $65.

Full disclosure - This is my first experience using a holster, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Early on I settled on DeSantis for OWB leather holsters of various styles and configurations - generally have two for each pistol - 1 with and 1-w/o thumb break. My revolvers are field use only and use leather Hunter's for them. I peruse the DeSantis web site for style/model then buy elsewhere. There are many good leather holster manufacturers, but have had no problems with service, availability and quality of DeSantis, so no need to look elsewhere.

I have several of the hybrids from various makers (including Alien Gear) for IWB, which I no longer do. I have a beer case full of holsters - probably need to dump the IWB's. Carry OWB concealed under un-tucked shirt.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

rockyriverleather wrote:I searched high and low for the Grizzly model gun, and came up with bupkis.
I asked Jon downstairs to trace around his Deagle, but he was evasive... Maybe he doesn't really have a Deagle? Can you trace around your Deagle mold, and give me one length dimension so I can print an exact size image and compare? I expect that the one possible serious misfit point would be the trigger guard.

If I buy a piece of kydex and slump it over the Grizzly with a heat gun, will it make something usable as a mold? I've never played with kydex.

Tomorrow, I'll track down Manufacturer specs for the DE, and the Griz...width, barrel, etc...stay tuned.
no the kydex won't do

pokute wrote:
rockyriverleather wrote:I searched high and low for the Grizzly model gun, and came up with bupkis.
I asked Jon downstairs to trace around his Deagle, but he was evasive... Maybe he doesn't really have a Deagle? Can you trace around your Deagle mold, and give me one length dimension so I can print an exact size image and compare? I expect that the one possible serious misfit point would be the trigger guard.

If I buy a piece of kydex and slump it over the Grizzly with a heat gun, will it make something usable as a mold? I've never played with kydex.

hgratt wrote:I find myself in the same boat. Never did I think I would need to carry, but shit happens. Anyway, I'm looking at the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 (IWB, plus a belt, maybe). Has anyone used or is using this?
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... tband.html
They make a top quality product, decent pricing with a warranty that makes buying from them a no brainer. I have one of their leather units for IWB, but no longer IWB - I really should swap it for an OWB as that's only way I carry these days.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote:
hgratt wrote:I find myself in the same boat. Never did I think I would need to carry, but shit happens. Anyway, I'm looking at the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 (IWB, plus a belt, maybe). Has anyone used or is using this?
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... tband.html
They make a top quality product, decent pricing with a warranty that makes buying from them a no brainer. I have one of their leather units for IWB, but no longer IWB - I really should swap it for an OWB as that's only way I carry these days.
Thanks. Appreciate the input.

Maccabee wrote:I'm in the market for my first holster (Sig 229r 9mm) and I'm finding there are way too many options for my addled brain to filter.
I know I'm super slow to reply to your original post here, but I feel your pain. I'm kind of in the same position, just decided to try an Alien Gear holster as my first. We'll see how it goes!

Twylo wrote:
Maccabee wrote:I'm in the market for my first holster (Sig 229r 9mm) and I'm finding there are way too many options for my addled brain to filter.
I know I'm super slow to reply to your original post here, but I feel your pain. I'm kind of in the same position, just decided to try an Alien Gear holster as my first. We'll see how it goes!
Let me know how you like it. I still have found one I love yet...

Nobody has even mentioned color yet. You really don't want a brown holster with a black belt and black leather shoes.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Maccabee wrote:
dougb wrote:Nobody has even mentioned color yet. You really don't want a brown holster with a black belt and black leather shoes.
Solid advice.
No it's not! Unless you're a holster fashionista, then may be. Or I may be just pass giving a flying fig about appearances. :evilmad:

Twylo wrote:
IWB or OWB??

I have a IWB AG that I plan on modifying to use as an OWB belt holster since I no longer IWB. I didn't care for their OWB design as it leaves back side of pistol that extends beyond leather length to rub on pants. By modifying OWB it protects entire length when worn outside - and cheaper, too.

I strongly recommend you invest in a couple of sturdy solid leather carry belts to go with your holster choice - one black, the other brown. Match the belt width to the loops on your pants as well as the slots on the holster (assuming OWB carry). Department store belts are total crap. Flimsy piece of vinyl with cardboard inside, with the thinnest veneer of cheap leather glued on top. A stiff American made thick bullhide leather belt won't sag, and it distributes the weight correctly. I also use elastic Perry suspenders that clip onto the belt whenever wardrobe permits.

You can make your own. A good piece of leather, a few hand tools, a pattern to work with or make your own, needles, thread, beer, and a few evenings can see a nice holster. Leather workers have a good web site with instructions, hints advice. After 3 or 4, you start to get some good looking and functional holsters. Then, your brothers start hinting about Christmas or birthdays and it turns out your new favorite fits their new gun perfectly.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Worn an Aliengear Cloak Tuck for a while and decided to 'upgrade' the base to the neoprene 3.0. Best idea ever. Time will tell if the material lasts but for comfort... It can't be beaten! If I'd have known, I'd have spent the few bucks more and got the 3.0 from the 'get-go'. :)
DaddioMax

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Holster Analysis Paralysi

I am not going to recommend a brand of holster. The brand depends upon whether their holster meets you needs and wants.

Since the holster is for the range and open carry too it has to be versatile. For OC it has to have good retention in case it has to be drawn from on the move. The last thing you want is your gun to come loose in the holster. That is not as important for use at the range unless the range allows shooting on the move. For the best retention a kydex holster with adjustable tension very reliable. A leather holster with a thumb strap is also very reliable but it adds a step in drawing if you need to draw fast. Over time a leather holster can start to stretch and that means less retention. Kydex holsters maintain their shape and by selecting a model with adjustable retention it never becomes a problem.

Then there are cosmetics. Leather holsters are usually more aesthetic than kydex holsters. You can get hand tooled leather with artistic designs or just plain leather.

There is also maintenance. Leather holsters have to be maintained so they do not dry out and seams have to watched to avoid splitting. Kydex holsters don't need care except to Haeckel and adjust retention.

For concealed carry whether IWB or OWB thickness of the package adds to tendency to print. KYdex holsters are much thinner than leather holsters and help reduce the printing problem

Hope this helps.