Re: Favorite Gun Safe

A honkin' great big site tool chest bolted down and with just enough access to reach down blind with the key and unlock it. No prybar access.

Met a guy who had a vault cast into the concrete in his garage with a closely fitted 200 lb plexiglas window. He parked his car with an insanely loud alarm on top of it. You'd have to move the car and lift out the plexiglas with vacuum lifts, straight up. He had a very clever way of managing the vacuum lifting. It looked truly awesome.

But any old gunsafe will protect you from the odd meth addict who climbs in through the cat door.

Several factors when considering a gun safe.

-How many guns do you have? Big safes cost big money, no matter what make you decide on.
-How expensive/important are they to you? A Liberty Safe and other high end safes are infinitely more secure than a Stack-On gun "cabinet"
-How much room do you have to place the safe? A big safe requires the room to navigate it into the desired space.
-Where are you placing it? Bolting a safe to a concrete floor is your best bet. If you're planning on having it in a garage, you'll need to mind humidity a lot more than a climate-controlled area.
-Do you have children in the house? Settle for nothing less than a tumbler-style dial safe. Kids are smart and codes can be figured out and cheap locks busted.
-Are you in a rural area or close to emergency services (most importantly, a fire station). If you're in the boonies, consider a heavy-duty fire-rated safe. Your safe may be the only thing left standing after your dwelling burns to the ground. If you're within earshot of a fire station, odds are the fire department will arrive long before your safe is even in danger of incineration.

Most importantly, what's your budget?

PS. You'll never, ever have a "big enough" safe. :whistle:
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri May 12, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:Several factors when considering a gun safe.

I'd like to stay under $200 for a gun only safe. If it's a safe for other items I will spend more.

Do gun safes call for the same care as larger home safe - humidity, etc? And, if I were to store my gun in a larger home safe would humidity damage the gun?

IronPatriot wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Several factors when considering a gun safe.

I'd like to stay under $200 for a gun only safe. If it's a safe for other items I will spend more.

Do gun safes call for the same care as larger home safe - humidity, etc? And, if I were to store my gun in a larger home safe would humidity damage the gun?
I have the Stack On 14 gun "security container" and it satisfies CA's requirement for secure storage. It's the biggest one I could accommodate in my closet. I added some weatherstripping on the edges of the door frame to make for a more secure closure and I have two rechargable de-humidifiers inside. I'm in San Francisco so things don't get super humid, but it stays in the low 40s/high 30s in relative humidity. I don't have it bolted down because I rent where I live and break-ins are extremely unlikely due the location of the apartment.

My guns don't rust.

Then again, I don't have any Remington products ;)

I have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. I love it. I live in Florida where it's ridiculous humid, so I have these dehumidifiers (2x) about the size of a soft cover novel that sit in the safe. Once every couple of months I have to take them out then plug them into a wall socket overnight to dry them out. I haven't had any rust problems. Cost about 1200 delivered and bolted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

For 200 dollars, you are looking at gun lockers. They are not fire resistant and two grown men can probably walk right out of your basement with it even if it's full.

It can keep the kids out and it does protect the guns from damage compared to storing them in a soft case or leaning them in a corner. I'd think about getting gun socks for each one though because the locker's / safes can ding the bluing and stocks when you clang them around.

Humidity can't be ignored. I have a Liberty that locks it out better than a Huntsman sitting next to it. Dials aren't the fastest thing to open but those 9 volt punch pads don't give me any sense of security. Whatever you get, bolt it down. Even a refrigerator-sized safe can be wrestled away if its just resting there. Sometimes you can find a used safe at a good markdown.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Here's an article of interest about gun safes.
As a parting note, I urge my readers not to just read this article and think they have the whole picture. I could not do the subject justice even if I made it into a multi-part series that was thousands of words long. Instead, my hope is that this article gives you a better starting place than I had when I first began looking into this subject, and saves you a lot of time and perhaps even money by directing you towards what I believe are the best resources on the Internet and in the real world regarding gun safes.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... s-thieves/

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I have a love/hate relationship with my Cannon 24 gun safe. Has decent fire rating for it's corner closet location. Have had some problems with the electronic combo-lock, fortunately easily resolved with help of customer service and handbook/FAQ's when it went down one weekend and no CS available. Overall fairly happy with it for 4+ years. Cannon does not use mechanical dial combo, so electronic only. Plenty of shelf arrangements plus door pockets. Thirty-one handguns and two shotguns along with much ammo, rechargeable 2 lb. desiccant moisture absorber and a Peet electric dehumidifier maintains 60-80F and 30-40% RH. No rust to date. Cost about $450 caught on sale. You're not going to get much for $200.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I just bought a Costco safe, labeled as Heritage Security Products. It is listed as 14 gun, but those guns better be skinny. The slots are so close to each other that any kind of charging handle etc would scratch the neighboring rifle. Other than that it seems like a decent safe for $299. It has a battery operated light stick that is supposed to be automatic, but I haven't figured that out yet. Push button electric combination pad only, NO back up key. So I guess if terrorists use a high altitude nuke, the EMP will seal my guns inside. It has an exterior plug with a USB port inside to run whatever. The instructions are minimal at best. But for $299 I am pleased.
Oh yes, this is my second safe. Always buy a bigger safe than you think you will need.
Last edited by Hiker on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Zombie thread, but worthy!

I have a Sentry 14 gun safe with a dial combo--don't like the battery thing. It's bolted both to the wall and the floor inside a locked closet. Protects my investment. Some years back I think I paid four or five bills for it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Anyone familiar with SnapSafe Modular gun safes?
https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/titan
The modular construction is about the only way I’ll get a safe into our townhouse. It has a modest fire rating. Fire stations are not very far since I’m in a central location. Looking to hear if anyone owns one or might have looked into these. Currently it doesn’t look like they have a mechanical lock option. It appears they use to. Thoughts?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I haven't used snapsafe, so I can't comment on that, but I have used a "fast box" by SecureIt, and it's pretty robust. (It's also big enough to put something bulkier than Grandpa's double barrel shotgun in, so good for them on designing it well.) They make a similar sort of assemble-it-yourself cabinet.

polymath wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm I haven't used snapsafe, so I can't comment on that, but I have used a "fast box" by SecureIt, and it's pretty robust. (It's also big enough to put something bulkier than Grandpa's double barrel shotgun in, so good for them on designing it well.) They make a similar sort of assemble-it-yourself cabinet.
That’s an interesting one for a fast access gun. I could probably use something like this if I stood it up on it’s short end. The SnapSafe intrigues me since it could store more long guns than I have and still have room for some growth.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

See post #12 above - storing some new ammo day before yesterday in my Cannon safe and discovered it won't lock - AGAIN !! This is 2nd or 3rd time. Was fixed in past by adjusting a metal plate - just don't remember which one. Called Cannon - this time they are sending complete new combo and solenoid system to replace (no charge). The video they attached to conformation showing how to make the change isn't for my model safe. Give them a 'A' for no hassle warranty, but this damn lock scares me - always worried about being locked out more than not locking, albeit the latter is kinda expensive turning into a gun cabinet rather than safe. Cannon and GunVault both under Alpha Guardian Inc. and give kudos for replacing no charge anything that's broke (so far), some I've had for years.

Today 11/23/19 - went to check on my old Model 37 Win and safe was locked!! Had to use combo to get in, but it would not lock upon closure. Haven't yet received parts Cannon sending to fix problem.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I have a Snapsafe (CA approved) lock box which I use when I carry in the car cabling it to a seat, it's heavy and holds a standard semi auto or two pistols if smaller. They have a Treklite which is TSA approved for flying.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 am ...in my Cannon safe and discovered it won't lock - AGAIN !! This is 2nd or 3rd time. ...went to check on my old Model 37 Win and safe was locked!! Had to use combo to get in, but it would not lock upon closure. Haven't yet received parts Cannon sending to fix problem.
I had a scare like this with my electronic Stack-On safe. I couldn't open it. Fortunately it has a backup key system. I got the key out of it's hiding place and had the door open in no time. Customer service helped me fix the problem. Apparently it is a common problem, because they told me exactly which wire to jiggle.

With this in mind, I have decided not to ever buy a big safe, but to have several small ones. That way, when SHTF and one doesn't work, I'll just go to the next one.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Wino wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 am ...in my Cannon safe and discovered it won't lock - AGAIN !! This is 2nd or 3rd time. ...went to check on my old Model 37 Win and safe was locked!! Had to use combo to get in, but it would not lock upon closure. Haven't yet received parts Cannon sending to fix problem.
I had a scare like this with my electronic Stack-On safe. I couldn't open it. Fortunately it has a backup key system. I got the key out of it's hiding place and had the door open in no time. Customer service helped me fix the problem. Apparently it is a common problem, because they told me exactly which wire to jiggle.

With this in mind, I have decided not to ever buy a big safe, but to have several small ones. That way, when SHTF and one doesn't work, I'll just go to the next one.
That's a great idea Hiker. I'm thinking about a secret closet where there would be a book shelf in front for the door with a couple secret locks/mechanisms to gain access. I have a great security system so the sheriff gets here within 5 to 10 minutes anyway. That said I have a few hiding places around the house for guns no children can gain access to as well.
Don't hide all your toys in one spot.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I know someone who bought a house that had a safe room in the basement that was build in the home construction. Walls, ceiling, and floor were steal reinforced cast concrete. The only thing it didn't have was a door. I have seen safe doors for just such a setup. Sure would love to have a set up like that. Imagine being able to walk around in, or do reloading right inside your gun safe!!!!!

Hiker wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 pm

I've thought about that, too. I do have a GV2000 GunVault, it's cheesy but sufficient for storing my EDC and bedside pistols when company calls. It has a three finger combo battery operated solenoid, but also has a key should they fail and have had to key a few times. The Cannon if locked out, I'm screwed - either locksmith or torch. I use the NV300 Gun Vault for both trucks that has a rolling combo lock and no key. I've destroyed two of those, but GV/Cannon replaced both no charge even though I pried open both times - wasn't about to leave EDC in car overnight nor bother to un-cable and bring in house.