Favorite Gun Safe

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Favorite Gun Safe

Post by bajajoaquin »

Turner's has a sale on a Browning safe. $700. I'm tempted by it, as my safe is overflowing.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Looking for a good safe to keep a couple of handguns in my bedroom closet. Recommendations welcomed.

Gotta fit a 5" N Frame in there, plus a J Frame.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

senorgrand wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 pm
Looking for a good safe to keep a couple of handguns in my bedroom closet. Recommendations welcomed.

Gotta fit a 5" N Frame in there, plus a J Frame.
Just a note... they'll steal the safe if it is at all portable. Ask me how I know? :(
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

sorry...it will be attached to studs or concrete

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Fort Knox makes a great handgun safe. Drill a couple of holes and lag the thing in a corner. It's not going anywhere quickly which is all you get out of any residential security container.

https://www.deansafe.com/collections/ha ... istol-safe

This one will fit a sp01, shield and lc380 at the same time. Or so someone told me.
Last edited by featureless on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

Amsec makes a good safe. I know people with them. 2-hour fire rating available in a documents-and-guns size. Expensive, at $700-$1200, but if properly secured, is really proper security for guns and sensitive docs.

The Browning I mentioned above is tempting, but I’m more likely to buy an Amsec 2-hour safe to take the non-guns out of the gun safe and have separate spaces for guns and docs.

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

Re post #19 - two weeks and no repair parts for Cannon lock and no response to request for status.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

I have a Browning safe I picked up on sale a few years back. Opted for the mechanical lock. It's a solid piece of hardware. For under a grand, it's a great choice.

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

The saga continues:

Received replacement lock yesterday. FedEx driver leaves in rain rather than under porch eave. Fortunately, plastic envelope and no interior damage. Today planned to install. Didn't look much like my lock (mechanical parts) and the referenced video attached to their email acknowledging order back when doesn't apply to my safe. Thought may be I was missing something. Called Cannon, asking about metal plate supplied which was about have size of original. Gave work order number, repeated model and SN - they wrote down incorrect SN by 3 numbers. CS says they sent me wrong lock. No shit Sherlock!! Will send correct lock. Asked what they wanted to do with wrong lock - keep, toss, use as paper weight - they don't want it back. So I'm back to square one - a safe that locks - sometimes, others not. Can't be sure but think Ivanka or Jared fucking with me !!! :sarcasm:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo