Hearing protection & situational awareness

What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.

p0lyhuman wrote:
joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?

joemac wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?
Yes they are simply expanding foam, not silicone tri-flange or anything like that.

At indoor ranges, I use surefire earplugs under Howard Leight impact earmuffs. At outdoor ranges, I just use Surefire earplugs unless someone is firing a cartridge in the eargesplitten loudenboomer family or anything at the next bench with a muzzle brake.

That said, I want get better hearing protection in the next year or two as the technology has improved.