Re: What do you keep yer guns in when not using them?

Bucolic wrote:Mine are compulsively arranged either in order of increasing caliber or decreasing barrel length (the two variables seem strangely correlated).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am in awe of your OCD.

I'm not worthy. :bow:

(meant sincerely from someone who loads in multiples of 5 so as to maintain some semblance of symmetry in the ammo box)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Main is Cannon 24 gun safe, bolted down; GV2000 bolted to bookcase for quick storage; NV300 in both autos. No children. My CC is either on me or within quick reach - on me when visitors; bedside only locked up when I leave for extended periods.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

One of the things we learned from the CA fires of 2018 was that "fire proof" safes aren't, if you house is fully involved in fire. The high heat, sustained over a period of hours, will cook and destroy anything inside.

I mention that because it might change some people's calculus as to whether it is worth spending the money for a high end safe vs. a cheaper, locking cabinet type, designed just to deter kids and unsophisticated burglars. It did for me.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

There are a few different gun safe threads, so this one is as good as the others to ask the questions and post the ideas again.
There is no federal law requiring that guns be stored securely. The only state with an comprehensive safe-storage law is Massachusetts. It requires gun owners to keep their firearms in a locked container or render them inoperable unless they are under their control or that of other “lawfully authorized” users. Three other states — California, Connecticut and New York — require guns to be locked up when not in use in certain situations, including when gun owners live with convicted felons or domestic abusers.

Several cities — including New York and San Francisco — have passed their own requirements on gun storage. But in wide swaths of the country, including in many blue states, gun owners have no obligation to lock away their firearms when not in use. Some states, instead, have enacted legislation that encourages behaviors that advocates and public health research show increases the risk of theft — including forcing businesses to allow employees to store guns in their vehicles while at work.
https://www.thetrace.org/2017/12/safe-s ... gun-theft/

And
As The Trace has previously documented, stolen firearms pose a potent public safety threat. Between 2011 and 2016, about 10 percent of the more than 3,600 guns recovered by Portland Police from crime scenes and other circumstances had been stolen, according to data obtained through a public records request. That number is likely an undercount: many gun thefts are never reported, and even when they are, victims often do not know the serial numbers to their guns, making it difficult for authorities to tie them back to a crime.

There are four states with some version of a safe-storage law, and 11 with a lost-and-stolen reporting requirement. Numerous cities around the country—including Portland—have enacted their own safe-storage or lost-and-stolen reporting measures.

Critics of these mandates argue that they penalize gun owners for the actions of criminals and could prevent people from being able to access their weapons in the event of an emergency.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xw7m ... urce=quora

Permits, fees, licenses, training costs, and the guns and ammo themselves all conspire to make our hobby fairly costly. Now, Oregon wants to make a safe storage law for guns.

I have a safe, and I'm glad I have it. No one has ever tried to sneak in and git my guns, mainly because of our certified ninja hit-poodle and cadre of viscous cats keeps the burglars at bay. But if they got through our initial layer of shock troops, they'd meet the next layers of security and would fail to steal a gun.

California doesn't exactly have a clear safe storage law, though a person must sign a safe affidavit in order legally to buy a gun here. Our local big box sports stores sells all kinds of gun safes all the time.

So, my question is this: are you all OK with safe storage laws?

To me, it's important to keep my guns out of unauthorized hands. By having and using a safe, I protect my investment, and I protect the uneducated from handling my guns in my absence.

What think y'all?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack