reducing bulk for range trips?

Whenever I head to the range, I feel like I have way too many bulky items. Just for a handgun outing, I have my range bag, a (bulky) S&W range kit for the handgun, and a 30 cal ammo can. It's a PITA. If I also take a rifle, I feel like a pack mule. Thinking about getting some small lock boxes that fit in the range bag so all I have to carry is the bag (and rifle case). One lock box for each handgun and one for ammo.

Was looking at the Hornady tri-point lock box partly because of the tubular lock, which is harder to pick, but there seem to be several reports of the lock failing.

Anyone have suggestions on reducing the bulk? Recommendations for lock boxes?

Re: reducing bulk for range trips?

Bring less crap? I usually fit everything into a TravelPro backpack. VP-9, P320, Kel-Tec Sub2000, eye and ear protection, speed loader, plastic ammo box, ownership/permit document copies, spotting scope, spare reddot batteries.
If I bring the Cx4, I need a rifle bag for it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Also consider TWO range kits. I have a small range bag that I can carry a couple of handguns and ammo in and not much else. Very liberating to have a paired-down range kit. Of course, I wouldn't use it to sight-in a rifle or anything, but otherwise very nice.

And get the smallest gun rugs for your handguns that you can find...it makes a big difference.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

i have a small backpack for spotting scope, eyes'n'ears, a couple of small tools, roll of targets, roll of tape. couple boxes of ammo, and a pistol or two. then all i have to wrangle is guns. milsurps usually have sling swivels, so i sometimes have one hanging off each shoulder. if i have to bring my own target stands, it's an extra trip to the car.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I use a GPS backpack-style range bag, which holds everything I need. It's this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10856 ... -range-bag
Holds four pistols, ammunition, 12 magazines, hearing protection, stapler, target paster tape, tools, et cetera, and there are even loops on the side for rolled-up targets. There's a sturdy carrying handle on top for when it's lightly loaded, and backpack straps for when it's full.
Reunite Pangea!

I use the soft zippered gun rugs for pistol range trips. I can get one small combo padlock through the zipper/ring closures of four of them. Box of ammo and cluster of guns go in a canvas tote.

Add some rifle ammo to the tote and a rifle case under my arm.

I don’t expect anything that’s just “locked” for transport to resist much tampering. If it can be carried away, it doesn’t matter if the lock is better or worse.