Re: marlene.

ok, ok, enough. i'll try for better tomorrow when the light is better.
this is an open mckeever cartridge box, i believe issued for both trapdoors and krags, 1873-1903. marlene sent it to me. there should be straps to fasten to a belt, and one to hold it closed, but overall much nicer than i could have hoped for.
SUNP0015.JPG
SUNP0014.JPG
pristine originals sell for many hundreds of dollars, good reproductions for about $40. i may get a repro for range trips.
can you say how you came to have it, marlene?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

An old guy at the LGS noticed that I'm a Krag nerd. He asked me to do a bit of machine work for him, and in addition to our initial arrangement, he gave me this box and another almost identical in condition as a gift.

Lurker gave me a Krag book, and I took it as an opportunity to send him one of the boxes. Some day, I'd like to fix the one I kept.

Oh wow that's cool.

There is a massive swamp near the valley on state land where I deer hunt in Michigan. In the 80s there used to be an ancient fellow with a Krag and a milk crate that would seemingly spend the entire season sitting on the crate with his rifle on the same runway in the thickest part of the swamp. I visited with him over the years and thought the rifle was the strangest thing in the world- everyone in our crew used Model 70s, 700s, and the odd Browning here and there. Now I think back and realize he in fact had the neatest gun.
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters

after i bought my trapdoor i was walking around, there were a couple of unmolested but rough krags running 800-1000, and a sporterized krag for 350. what a beauty. gorgeous, just.... perfect. checkered wood, inlay, and so shiny, clearly had been someone's pride and joy. the krag is a slim light rifle even when stock, what a fine brush gun it would be! i wanted it desperately. fortunately i already have a krag and more importantly, had already spent my money. there's another gunshow coming in september. now i'm starting to get excited. is that so wrong?

and i'd like to say something about this thread, and the one that prompted it. marlene asked a very technical question about one of my favorite rifles, well beyond my knowledge. lots of people with good advice, and i could contribute nothing. my level of knowledge is somewhat superficial by comparison, i know a bit about the history and social context of the item in question. but i had this book, brophy's the krag rifle. i'd struggled with it, gleaned what i could from it, but there was more, so much more in there, and it was wasted on me, and here comes marlene with her skillset, knowledge and interests.
perfect! pass it forward.
so then out of nowhere marlene offers me this cartridge box. yes, i'll shut up and take it. it felt like i was cheating her, does she know what these things are worth, how rare they are? i've never even seen one of these, much less handled one, and now i own one?
and it's not that exceptional.
this is the sort of community that exists here. it's not just a couple of people, there's a lot of it. now i'm getting all sentimental.