Re: ankle holsters any good?

Ankle holsters mean one has to carry a small gun, have it subjected to dirt, water, and mud, and have to be damn near on their backs (or twisted into a pretzel) to draw from. My G19 IWB at 3-4 o'clock works perfectly in the car and it doesn't force me to pause in a crisis to play 'find the gun today'. Some people seem to like ankle carry for a small back-up gun, but I've yet to find anyone that thinks it's a good idea for a primary.

It's a compromise. If at work sitting at a desk, you don't really need the ability to quick draw even though it's pretty quick to draw while sitting anyway from an ankle. The threat is more than likely a disgruntled co worker.

If standing while not ideal (waist carry is always preferable) it still isn't overly slow if drawing from a knee. As with anything, practice makes perfect.

I agree that it isn't ideal. I also agree that it is sometimes the only way that some people are able to carry. Like every carry method, it depends on your situation and comfort level. It worked for me for years to ankle carry a BUG before I changed jobs. I didn't love it, but it was better than nothing. If you practice the draw and it works for you, go for it. But practice the draw and consistently carry and shoot that little light BUG.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt