Inexpensive gun rack ideas?

Just what it says. I am looking for an inexpensive route to a gun rack. Something that sits on the floor and I can lean rifles on it while I am doing something with multiple rifles. They seem to be pretty expensive. I am not looking for "show", just utility.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Inexpensive gun rack ideas?

Eris wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm I'd say go get some lumber and build one yourself. Something basically like a sawhorse made of 2x4s with a lengthwise piece across the bottom to rest the guns on.
Yeah, I am not so handy. I tried something like that. :oops:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Duct tape. One foot long piece with a four inch piece of paper stuck in the middle. Stick one end to the wall, lean up the rifle so the paper touches and not the sticky, then stick the other end to the wall. Inexpensive, yes. Elegant? Not hardly unless you're a redneck. ;-)

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 am Duct tape. One foot long piece with a four inch piece of paper stuck in the middle. Stick one end to the wall, lean up the rifle so the paper touches and not the sticky, then stick the other end to the wall. Inexpensive, yes. Elegant? Not hardly unless you're a redneck. ;-)

CDFingers
Pics or it didn't happen. LOL

Right now I use a beat up, heavy, wood chair. Duct tape isn't much worse.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I looked at rake racks and things like that. I would have never thought of a guitar stand. I ordered one to try it out. It was half the price of the cheapest gun rack.

Times like this, I wish I had some carpentry skills. I have the tools, but no talent.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

How about an umbrella stand?

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/12 ... 52918.html

Just pop the wheels off and stick something heavy on the foot plate.
K9s wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 pm I looked at rake racks and things like that. I would have never thought of a guitar stand. I ordered one to try it out. It was half the price of the cheapest gun rack.

Times like this, I wish I had some carpentry skills. I have the tools, but no talent.
The amazing thing is that guitar stands are generally overpriced for what they are. I shudder to think what a free standing gun rack must cost.

Nice $200 umbrella stand! I went with $20 cheap guitar rack.

I was looking at nice gun racks - they start around $400 - not worth it to me. Pressboard with veneer on Amazon is near $100.

If I had any carpentry talent, I could make something myself for cheap. I may still do that some day.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Actually, that $40+ rack in Amazon Eris found is pretty darn nice... and relatively cheap! If you were to buy the wood to carve one out yourself it would come close to that price believe it or not. Granted you’d likely have material left over for two or three racks but you get my drift.

Have you visited the lumber section at Home Depot lately? It’s downright depressing.

Lurker could probably build you one for free from a used palate. But that’s obviously not in the equation.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm Actually, that $40+ rack in Amazon Eris found is pretty darn nice... and relatively cheap! If you were to buy the wood to carve one out yourself it would come close to that price believe it or not. Granted you’d likely have material left over for two or three racks but you get my drift.

Have you visited the lumber section at Home Depot lately? It’s downright depressing.

Lurker could probably build you one for free from a used palate. But that’s obviously not in the equation.
Yes, I thought I would try the guitar rack first. Next stop would be the Rush Creek one (made of pressed board, not lumber). I've seen Rush Creek racks in person.

Everyone has been very helpful! I hope this works out. Maybe it will spur me to action making one. I have all the tools and stain and stuff I would need (except lumber), I am just not good at carpentry. I have tried.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 pm
Bisbee wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm Actually, that $40+ rack in Amazon Eris found is pretty darn nice... and relatively cheap! If you were to buy the wood to carve one out yourself it would come close to that price believe it or not. Granted you’d likely have material left over for two or three racks but you get my drift.

Yes, I thought I would try the guitar rack first. Next stop would be the Rush Creek one (made of pressed board, not lumber). I've seen Rush Creek racks in person.

Everyone has been very helpful! I hope this works out. Maybe it will spur me to action making one. I have all the tools and stain and stuff I would need (except lumber), I am just not good at carpentry. I have tried.
You could just buy a 2x4 (AKA: twobfer) and a dowel. Drill some holes the same diameter as the dowl into the 2x4, cut dowls to appropriate length and stuff 'em in the holes (maybe even with a little dab of glue when you're satisfied with the fitment). Screw the 2x4 to the wall/bench/whatever. Kind of like a ghetto coat hanger. Won't be pretty but would keep the rifles from falling over and you've been using those particular carpentry skills since you discovered the square peg didn't fit in the round hole as a child. :yes:

Well, if I were to make one for myself, my perfectionist/OCD issues would take hold. I have a hard time making "good enough" so... it is just what it is. I realize my limitations and OCD. :)

What can be useful for my job is not so helpful for carpentry and relationships. LOL

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm Well, if I were to make one for myself, my perfectionist/OCD issues would take hold. I have a hard time making "good enough" so... it is just what it is. I realize my limitations and OCD. :)

What can be useful for my job is not so helpful for carpentry and relationships. LOL
Oh, OCD. I understand completely!

It just arrived today. It is just cheap metal tubing with cheap foam covering (guitar rack). I decided I will use shop rags to protect the finish of the rifles. It works for what I need. Just needed a place to set my tiny AK collection. I just wanted to see how they fit and take a picture for y'all.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt