oiler bottles

oops. scanning though a part of the forum, i see i've asked this same question here before, and gotten roughly the same answers. oh, well.

LUGO1108.JPG
over the years as i've acquired rifles, i've also acquired accoutrements.
so i have oiler bottles for the garand and the m1 carbine and the 1917 and the ar/16 and had a variety of oilers for the kar98 and ak/sks, (got rid of those).
and then there are these.
both appear to be soldered brass. the big one is about 3" across, and the handwritten sticker on the back says it's for the m1909 machine gun. i've also been told it was issued with the maxim and SKS. the big one's cap chain is round wire, the little one's chain is flat stamped metal, and it came with the leather pouch. there are no markings whatsoever. not identical workmanship, but very similar.
anyone actually know what these were for?

eta: i see there were two m1909 machine guns, the hotchkiss and the skoda. the hotchtkiss looks interesting.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: oiler bottles

shinzen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:55 pm probably not a good idea. they smell of oil.
Whiskey and gun oil. Sounds like some bizarre aftershave.
No worse than Hoppe’s No.9
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,