Finally got a belly band.

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I just got my new belly band holster and I love it! If you guys are anything like me you've wasted a lot of money buying holsters that didn't work out and ended up tossing them into a drawer or box in the closet. I've been frustrated on the best and most comfortable way to carry my Ruger Ec9s. Tried iwb's and owb's and they just weren't comfortable or they printed too much, or they were just didn't hold the gun tight against the body (talking about owb's here). I've never had a belly band although I've known about them for years. Finally decided to take a chance and try one. I love this thing. Very comfortable - holds the gun just fine and it allows you to position the gun anywhere around your waist high and low. I like it in the appendix position the most. Cover it with a T-shirt and it disappears completely. Anyone else have an opinion on the belly band method of carrying?

Re: Finally got a belly band.

They look like a good idea, but I would worry about how hot they would get. Houston probably has similar weather. Let us know how it works in the summer.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you will update us as maybe, 1, 3, and 6 months. My concern is that it will stretch out.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Been curious about the belly band carry, but apprehensive with what all the heat we have here in TX. i don’t know anyone down here who would consider carrying in the summer, so I’ll be following this and hopeful for a good report. Conceal carrying in the summer genally means something small that won’t drag down my shorts without a serious belt.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 pm Been curious about the belly band carry, but apprehensive with what all the heat we have here in TX. i don’t know anyone down here who would consider carrying in the summer, so I’ll be following this and hopeful for a good report. Conceal carrying in the summer genally means something small that won’t drag down my shorts without a serious belt.
Yes, OWB vs sweaty IWB. I know how hot the ankle carry gets, so it will be good to get an update on this.

Thanks, Skeptilius!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I own a belly band and use it often, but not always. For deep concealment in light/tight clothing, there's simply no better option that I've found. I got mine from Active Pro Gear and it makes my 380 absolutely disappear against my body in shorts and a fitted t-shirt, and I'm 6ft 135lbs, so complete bean pole status as far as body type. The heat honestly doesn't bother me at all in South Florida, it's breathable enough and it's certainly more comfortable than any kydex appendix rig I've ever tried. The biggest issue I've found with bellybands for deep concealment is going #2. There's really no way to drop your skivies without have to readjust the bellyband entirely, which means unholstering your weapon, which I like to avoid as much as possible for obvious reasons. If I'm in a situation where I can dress slightly baggier (which I do at work every day) and deep concealment isn't a concern, I'll use a kydex AIWB. But when I'm in a fitted t-shirt or dress shirt situation, it's bellyband all the way, without a doubt.

kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am I own a belly band and use it often, but not always. For deep concealment in light/tight clothing, there's simply no better option that I've found. I got mine from Active Pro Gear and it makes my 380 absolutely disappear against my body in shorts and a fitted t-shirt, and I'm 6ft 135lbs, so complete bean pole status as far as body type. The heat honestly doesn't bother me at all in South Florida, it's breathable enough and it's certainly more comfortable than any kydex appendix rig I've ever tried. The biggest issue I've found with bellybands for deep concealment is going #2. There's really no way to drop your skivies without have to readjust the bellyband entirely, which means unholstering your weapon, which I like to avoid as much as possible for obvious reasons. If I'm in a situation where I can dress slightly baggier (which I do at work every day) and deep concealment isn't a concern, I'll use a kydex AIWB. But when I'm in a fitted t-shirt or dress shirt situation, it's bellyband all the way, without a doubt.
Not going to comment too much on body functions; but I am curious about why you would have to unholster the weapon? I don't know how tight you are wearing the band, but when I sat down with it on (with the weapon) it was no problem to simply pull the band up higher on my body and pull it back into position when I stood up. I'm carrying a 9mm and I didn't see any reason to remove the weapon when I did this. I'm retired and I realize that I have an advantage over someone who is working everyday. I can pick and choose when I go out and I generally try to take care of the #2 issue before ever leaving the apartment. It's not a perfect world, but I still feel the belly band is the best method of carrying concealed that I have found so far. OK, I just thought of a situation where the band might not be so great - if you wear your shirt tucked in (covering up the gun completely) then I can see getting to the weapon quickly might be a problem. See, nothing is perfect. :?

Skeptilius wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am I own a belly band and use it often, but not always. For deep concealment in light/tight clothing, there's simply no better option that I've found. I got mine from Active Pro Gear and it makes my 380 absolutely disappear against my body in shorts and a fitted t-shirt, and I'm 6ft 135lbs, so complete bean pole status as far as body type. The heat honestly doesn't bother me at all in South Florida, it's breathable enough and it's certainly more comfortable than any kydex appendix rig I've ever tried. The biggest issue I've found with bellybands for deep concealment is going #2. There's really no way to drop your skivies without have to readjust the bellyband entirely, which means unholstering your weapon, which I like to avoid as much as possible for obvious reasons. If I'm in a situation where I can dress slightly baggier (which I do at work every day) and deep concealment isn't a concern, I'll use a kydex AIWB. But when I'm in a fitted t-shirt or dress shirt situation, it's bellyband all the way, without a doubt.
Not going to comment too much on body functions; but I am curious about why you would have to unholster the weapon? I don't know how tight you are wearing the band, but when I sat down with it on (with the weapon) it was no problem to simply pull the band up higher on my body and pull it back into position when I stood up. I'm carrying a 9mm and I didn't see any reason to remove the weapon when I did this. I'm retired and I realize that I have an advantage over someone who is working everyday. I can pick and choose when I go out and I generally try to take care of the #2 issue before ever leaving the apartment. It's not a perfect world, but I still feel the belly band is the best method of carrying concealed that I have found so far. OK, I just thought of a situation where the band might not be so great - if you wear your shirt tucked in (covering up the gun completely) then I can see getting to the weapon quickly might be a problem. See, nothing is perfect. :?
Haha, fair enough. Maybe I need to change what kind of skivies I wear, because I've never found a way to slide the bellyband back over them comfortably without just completely restrapping the whole thing, but that's just me. Overall, a bellyband is definitely the best method of deep concealment I've found, but when I can dress a little baggier (hoodie, etc.) I tend to go with a classic kydex holster because it simply stays put on my belt no matter what I do with my pants. But yeah, when it comes to overall comfort and concealment in a deep concealment situation, there's no doubt the bellyband wins hands down.

K9s wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:21 pm Is it easy to draw from?
Good question. I was practicing that very thing this morning. Keep in mind the belly band is not gun specific - it is intended to accommodate a variety of guns of a certain size. My belt is for compact 9mm and small .380's . I carry a Ruger Ec9s and that is a pretty small gun. It sits rather deep in the gun pouch not giving you a great deal to grab hold of. The pinky extension on the mag help here. I practiced drawing the weapon for over an hour this morning and it's gets easier the more you do it. Let me tell you my challenge here. You young guys won't have this problem; but I walk with a cane in my right hand. Of course I'm right handed. So if I need to draw the weapon, first I have to transfer the cane to my left hand then lift my T-shirt with my left hand while holding the cane in the left hand and then draw the gun using my right hand. Needless to say, I have no illusions about doing a lightening fast draw. This is where situation awareness comes in. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do. While I'm sharing things about myself, let me add this. Many years ago I was robbed at gunpoint. That is an experience you never want to have. A perp stuck a snub nosed revolver in my chest and cocked it. I wasn't armed at the time but even if I had been armed there would have been no point is even thinking about drawing my gun. I've read somewhere that it only takes 900th of a second to pull the trigger on a cocked revolver. There is no way in hell anybody is going to draw a gun and beat that time. Ever since that event I keep my eyes open and my head out of my ass when getting out of my car and walking around. You got to live defensively. ;)

If I am wearing clothes that don't allow me to carry OWB or IWB, I ankle carry. I am interested to see how this works out for you in the summer, Skeptilius.

Is pocket carry an option for you? Are there any other options besides belly band, ankle carry, and pocket carry if IWB and OWB won't work? Cane sword? .410 Bore Cane Gun? :)

I never really liked pocket carry because I have too much stuff to carry in pockets and it is impossible to draw if sitting. I guess I should consider that again, too. I haven't tried it in a while.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:34 pm If I am wearing clothes that don't allow me to carry OWB or IWB, I ankle carry. I am interested to see how this works out for you in the summer, Skeptilius.

Is pocket carry an option for you? Are there any other options besides belly band, ankle carry, and pocket carry if IWB and OWB won't work? Cane sword? .410 Bore Cane Gun? :)

I never really liked pocket carry because I have too much stuff to carry in pockets and it is impossible to draw if sitting. I guess I should consider that again, too. I haven't tried it in a while.
Well the weather in Houston has been fairly mild so far this spring. I think later into the summer when temps get into the high 90's the belly band could be hot - just have to wait and see. Rest assured if it is hot and uncomfortable this summer I will be honest and let everyone know. I do pocket carry on my right side when I'm carrying my Ruger LcPII. So I have that as an option. I also have a sticky holster which I use (rarely) if I'm wearing an outer covering garment like a jacket or vest. Those are about the only three ways I carry these days. Ankle carry is not an option since I can't bend down to reach the weapon there (bad knees).

I have had one for years and used is many times, but only because I was using it with a DA only snubby with long trigger pull because I don't feel very confident in the band's soft material stopping a SA trigger from accidentally being, well, triggered.
More recently, I decided to stop using it since I only buy clothes now where a snubby will disappear into the pocket--cargo shorts, Duluth Firehose Pants and Carhartt's double front jeans.
If I ever have to go to a wedding or a court date in respectable duds (ha ha, like you could bring a gun to court), I'll probably use it again with a cheap Uncle Mike's holster inside.