5.11 Defender Flex jeans.

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

lsj74
Chatty

5.11 Defender Flex jeans.

Post by lsj74 »

Generally I'm not someone who is into tactical anything but after reading and watching reviews on the Defender Flex jeans I decided to give them a try.
I forked out $70 for the pair and I have to say I'm pleased with them.
They are not made from denim but some thinner cotton/spandex like material. I think there was a name for it but I can't remember what it was.
The pants have a slight stretch and it really helps with movement like squatting and even just getting in and out of a car. The material is light and breaths well .
The pockets are deep and the coin pocket is deeper than on regular jeans measuring 4.5 inches deep making really easy to fit a pocketknife or a small flashlight in it.
They also have 2 extra pockets between the regular front and back pockets. I think they are called magazine pockets and I think they are supposed to be big enough to fit a AR magazines in them. They measure 5 inches deep and are wide enough to fit a Samsung Galaxy S8+ in them but also I small flashlight will fit nicely into them.
One complaint I seen a lot with them is that they bleed a lot of dye when washed and that is true.
Some even said they will leave your fingers blue if you first handle them new.
I washed them twice in just water and the third time with detergent and that seems to have taken care of it.

I'll spare you the agony of having to look pictures of me modeling the pants.

Stiff
Loquacious

Re: 5.11 Defender Flex jeans.

Post by Stiff »

Certain models of Levi's are made out of slightly stretchy cotton material, they are all I wear these days.

lsj74
Chatty

Post by lsj74 »

Stiff wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Certain models of Levi's are made out of slightly stretchy cotton material, they are all I wear these days.
I seen a lot of people compare these to the Levi's.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Hows the sizing vs regular jeans? (Some things run small, others large. One of the things that makes me leery of buying jeans online)

lsj74
Chatty

Post by lsj74 »

shinzen wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:58 am
Hows the sizing vs regular jeans? (Some things run small, others large. One of the things that makes me leery of buying jeans online)
It was the same as regular jeans for me.

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

5.11 and Levi's are out of my comfort zone price wise. For "stretchy" jeans I've found Wrangler's (855WAQD/85PWAQD) both comfortable and affordable at Walmart. Having said that, I also like Duluth Trading "Dry on the Fly" line of pants/cargo/shorts and shirts, also "stretchy". While they can be expensive (in area of 5.11), I buy on close outs or sales with 25-50% off regular pricing. They are great for south Texas weather.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/colle ... -fly-gear/
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

offensivename
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by offensivename »

shinzen wrote:
I feel like their 32 is a big 32, but then I normally wear skinny jeans so that may be coloring my expectations. It does make it easier to stick a pistol in there though.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

offensivename wrote:
shinzen wrote:
I feel like their 32 is a big 32, but then I normally wear skinny jeans so that may be coloring my expectations. It does make it easier to stick a pistol in there though.
Thanks, that helps. Knowing if I can order in my normal size without worrying about them being too small is a concern with some brands

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

lsj74
Chatty

Post by lsj74 »

Wino wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 am
5.11 and Levi's are out of my comfort zone price wise. For "stretchy" jeans I've found Wrangler's (855WAQD/85PWAQD) both comfortable and affordable at Walmart. Having said that, I also like Duluth Trading "Dry on the Fly" line of pants/cargo/shorts and shirts, also "stretchy". While they can be expensive (in area of 5.11), I buy on close outs or sales with 25-50% off regular pricing. They are great for south Texas weather.

The stuff at Duluth Trading seems well made.
I have been eyeing the Alaskan Hardgear Prudhoe Bay hoodie.
But at the around $150 price tag it's hard to justify it.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-alas ... lt&start=1

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

lsj74 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:50 pm
Wino wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 am

The stuff at Duluth Trading seems well made.
I have been eyeing the Alaskan Hardgear Prudhoe Bay hoodie.
But at the around $150 price tag it's hard to justify it.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-alas ... lt&start=1
I just checked and with GPMERCHPROMO net cost is about $104.64, free shipping, not sure about tax. I'd buy one except I don't need any cold/or cool weather gear.

As for quality of DT, I've had NO problems with anything I've bought (and it's A LOT), save one, snaps pulled loose on one shirt after long wear - they did not blink an eye replacing.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

lsj74
Chatty

Post by lsj74 »

If anyone is interested 5.11 has 20% off just about everything and I got additional 10% off at the checkout using a discount code.
I got another pair for $51.