Fancy schlepping

I often wrestle with the balance between wanting all the right stuff at the range and not wanting to carry the ton of stuff I see so many of my compatriots with.

I have taken various approaches to this problem over the years. I’ve minimized my kit. I’ve bought a couple small light rifles. I use a small light front rest for bench shooting. I make decisions like bringing only one rifle and one pistol to a weekend long shooting trip.

As much as I like the little LL Bean canvas tote I use for my rest and a box of ammo, I find myself wanting a little more. I just broke down and sprung for a Pelican case of the wheeled carry-on variety. Last night I set up the interior dividers and I think I’ve got my rifle kit well defined.

Here’s spotting scope with tripod, small tool box, front rest, rear bag, box of ammo, notebook, and a couple of golf balls and clothespins to shoot at (under the snap-cased notebook). The whole package is reasonably light and easy to carry, and by making a place for the spotting scope (the thing I often leave at home) I’ll always bring it.
Attachments
082F3F0B-29CC-47F6-828A-E720850C8311.jpeg

Re: Fancy schlepping

I used to use large Pelican cases to travel and transport my Meade ETX and 35mm camera bodies. But the damn things weigh SO much, and I can't use the solid locks on them anymore that they aren't practical for air travel. However, one stays at our beach house filled with tools and other stuff, locked up under that house, and rain, sand, and flooding have ZERO effect on it!

"Schlep"--Yiddish is such a fine source for words that simply aren't expressive enough in English "Tote", "Haul", "Carry" just don't contain the same effort, annoyance, and painfulness of "Schlep"
Like "Schmuck" . You can call a guy a prick, a dick, a dickhead, but none of it carries the same force as their Yiddish equivalent: "Schmuck!" It's worse than "prick" or "dick" and more demeaning.
Or "Schmaltz". "Schmaltz" literally mean fat, like chicken fat. But is there a better word to describe an overdone, dated, overly-emotional, and somewhat tasteless song, show, or event than "Schmaltzy"?
And, of course, "Chutzpah". It doesn't really work if you can't say the "Ch" like you're going cough up a load of phlegm, and NOTHING in English comes CLOSE to conveying what it means. A "Chutzpahnik" throws himself on the court on the grounds that he's an orphan...when he's on trial for killing his parents! It's one thing "President" Trump has in abundance--more than anyone else: Chutzpah.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Fancy schlepping

Marlene wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 pm the newer "air" series is significantly lighter than the basic heavy stuff. The case I'm using is the 1535.
Yeah, mine are big, I think 1654s(?) and 20 years old. So they are HEAVY! But they do roll.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."