Body armor

I've been thinking about this for a long while and have finally embarked on assembling some body armor for the family. The world being what it is, hopefully it will sit in a pile and never be used, but who knows. This must be done on the cheap--shit's expensive. For those looking for some odd sizes that might work (or you're a small person), there is a clearance going on at the link below. It is quality armor, just oddball sizing.

https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/collections/tencate

I've selected some 8x10 level iii/iv (covers all handgun and nearly all rifles) plates for my wife (she's small) and some 10x12 level iiiA+ (covers all handgun rounds) plates for myself and daughter (one each). Mine will be worn in the front for top of stairs defending and hers in the back for turtling behind the bed if things ever go haywire at home. I will eventually add a iii+ plate for myself. I also ordered an 8x10 level iiia+ plate that will slip into my man purse for away from home to augment my ability to meat shield my family. The level iiia plates are very light (~1 pound). Hopefully, this is a total waste of money but I don't need any more guns, so...

For anyone else interested in the thought process, I'm happy to share.

Re: Body armor

Yeah, part of me feels pretty silly about it. But then again, I do own guns. Bullets typically go both ways when a gun is necessary, so...

To keep costs reasonable, I made sacrifices. Everything has been purchased on sale and/or clearance. All plate carriers are low to lowish profile (i.e., no shit hanging all over them and could reasonably be concealed under a loose button down shirt--there's no need to advertise if we ever need to wear them on the road). All plates are ceramic--steel, while cheap(er), is heavy as fuck and worthless against green tip 5.56 (forget the fancy name for it, I'm not very tacticool). Photos when Brown Santa delivers.

I went with level iii/iv for my wife due to the fantastic price of the small plates and fact we will likely be moving to the country after my daughter graduates high school where rifle threats are much more common than in an urban area. I went with level iiia+ for my daughter for potential collateral handgun rounds headed off target (me) by bad guys downstairs. She won't be in any action, so a single plate on the back makes the most sense from a "run/hide" perspective. It is removable and fits a backpack, so she'll be free to use it as she sees fit when an adult in a couple more years. I'll make due with a single level iiia+ front plate until I can afford something better and then it will become a back plate. Something like 85% of all gun homicide is with handgun rounds, not rifle, so I'm comfortable with that trade off.

I would have preferred soft level ii armor (hanguns only) for its light weight, (relative) comfort and concealability but it is really expensive new and used is questionable. Maybe at another time.

The small 8x10 plate for my man purse will stop handgun rounds and blades and weighs less than a pound. I almost always have my purse along when out and about (the struggle to find a place for prescription glasses, keys, wallet, is real). For $50, why not make it bullet proof? At worst, it covers the vitals (sans noggin) in a pinch. It is probably the most likely to be used of any of the "kit."

All in, I'm out of pocket less than the Rami I want but don't need.

How heavy is that stuff? They make some pretty inexpensive light armor these days.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 pm How heavy is that stuff? They make some pretty inexpensive light armor these days.
Depends. The level iiia stuff is around a pound per plate but won't stop rifles. The level iii and above is heavier (5 or more pounds per plate) but will stop rifles. If money is no object, you can get your core pretty bullet proof pretty lightly. I can't go that route for something that will likely never be used. My wife's rig will weigh around 10 pounds. I don't expect her to be "operating" or doing yoga in it, just hunkering. I expect her to hate it (and probably be angry that I bought it). I also expect it will keep her vitals safe from anything legal in California. My daughter's will be about 3 pounds and protect her from all handgun rounds. On one side.

featureless wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am I've been thinking about this for a long while and have finally embarked on assembling some body armor for the family. The world being what it is, hopefully it will sit in a pile and never be used, but who knows. This must be done on the cheap--shit's expensive. For those looking for some odd sizes that might work (or you're a small person), there is a clearance going on at the link below. It is quality armor, just oddball sizing.

https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/collections/tencate

I've selected some 8x10 level iii/iv (covers all handgun and nearly all rifles) plates for my wife (she's small) and some 10x12 level iiiA+ (covers all handgun rounds) plates for myself and daughter (one each). Mine will be worn in the front for top of stairs defending and hers in the back for turtling behind the bed if things ever go haywire at home. I will eventually add a iii+ plate for myself. I also ordered an 8x10 level iiia+ plate that will slip into my man purse for away from home to augment my ability to meat shield my family. The level iiia plates are very light (~1 pound). Hopefully, this is a total waste of money but I don't need any more guns, so...

For anyone else interested in the thought process, I'm happy to share.
No point in waiting. 2014 won't be the last time a Democrat tries to ban it in California.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-con ... /5344/text

Also, at least one US Democrat would like to see body armor restricted federally.
Schumer Bill Would Require FBI To Regulate Body Armor Sales

Not waiting, it's ordered. California will almost certainly work to ban it. I will upgrade as funds allow, but at least have basic protection for the family should it ever be needed.

Last summer, we experienced 5 days with no power and entire towns evacuated due to fires. People mostly behaved themselves. PG&E has assured us long term power outages are in our future. You are entirely on your own until/if help arrives.

Coke and skittles would indicate a higher need for a good dental plan or saving for future insulin shots. No cure for mall ninjas, though. :)

(yeah, I know armor seems paranoid and a stupid waste of money--but too much shit falling apart out there to not consider it, in my mind)

senorgrand wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:20 pm If your house is old enough for a cast iron tub, I’d probably turn the bathroom into a safe room and just buy armor for yourself.
Funny you say that. Our old house had a cast iron tub and that's where my daughter was directed to go if we had an earthquake or shit went south.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:17 pm What plate carrier are you using?
All are pretty low profile as a requirement.
For myself, selected on cost and ability to add a few pouches if ever needed: https://www.blueforcegear.com/plateminus.html
For my wife, selected on cost and custom 8x10 pouch availability: https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCS-P ... -L-500.htm
My daughter gets this one, was only available in large for $40 clearance (a size too big for any of us, but it'll do for emergency service): https://greyghostgear.com/collections/p ... te-carrier

None of these are exactly tacticool but should serve fine to hold a plate on a body that's not crawling over rocks.

I think armor is illegal in NYC, but I assumed California would have banned it already. I never really understood the reasons for banning armor except it is called "scary" or whatever. Seems like it would be useful during tornados, hurricanes, and earthquakes.

Of course, NYC banned large sodas, right?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i think the theory behind banning armor is that after it makes you feel invulnerable, it takes over your mind and turns you into a mass murderer, then it makes you harder to stop, thereby allowing you to run your "score counter" higher, thus raising the bar for subsequent mass murderers. or something really, really logical like that. :wacko:
eta: fixed typos
Last edited by lurker on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

featureless wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:06 pm Coke and skittles would indicate a higher need for a good dental plan or saving for future insulin shots. No cure for mall ninjas, though. :)

(yeah, I know armor seems paranoid and a stupid waste of money--but too much shit falling apart out there to not consider it, in my mind)
Dang.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 pm Thanks for the links featureless. It's something I've thought about but never spent the money. How did you determine the right sizes?
You're welcome. It's a difficult thing to spend money on and very much hope it is an utter waste of money.

For sizing, common guidance I found was to determine length by measuring from where your clavicles connect to your belly button (naval gazing at that moment is optional) and go with that or an inch or two less. Any longer and the plate will hit your chin every time you sit down/crouch. You order the carrier based on the plate size that is correct for you as the carrier pocket is sized to the plate.

Another option that is likely more useful for all is used level ii soft armor (covers all handgun rounds short of .44 mag). It's rumored to be more comfortable, more concealable and would be useful for training classes or at the range (lots of people I don't know shooting guns makes me nervous). This link is generally recommended. It would have cost me more though.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bullet_pro ... alog.shtml

featureless wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:47 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 pm Thanks for the links featureless. It's something I've thought about but never spent the money. How did you determine the right sizes?
You're welcome. It's a difficult thing to spend money on and very much hope it is an utter waste of money.

For sizing, common guidance I found was to determine length by measuring from where your clavicles connect to your belly button (naval gazing at that moment is optional) and go with that or an inch or two less. Any longer and the plate will hit your chin every time you sit down/crouch. You order the carrier based on the plate size that is correct for you as the carrier pocket is sized to the plate.

Another option that is likely more useful for all is used level ii soft armor (covers all handgun rounds short of .44 mag). It's rumored to be more comfortable, more concealable and would be useful for training classes or at the range (lots of people I don't know shooting guns makes me nervous). This link is generally recommended. It would have cost me more though.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bullet_pro ... alog.shtml
Thanks for the info and the interesting link. As an "older gentleman" this would fit the bill for me.
...lots of people I don't know shooting guns makes me nervous.
Same here especially at an indoor range when it's a newbie in the next lane.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan