Re: Pig-stickers from dead guys.

damnitman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:10 am I collect some fixed blades from WWII. For hard work, it is hard to beat a Cattaraugus 225Q, or it's Case brother the 337-6Q, the things are nearly indestructible. I also collect pocket knives that no one else wants; Imperials and Colonials.
Amen to that. Ontario Knife Company tried to make reproductions, but they weren't successful. I think Bark River now has one.

DufusMcGhee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm
bornin69 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am anyone know why it took my and dufusMcGhee 's pics down? I just used files from my MacBook.
My pics are still visible.
Maybe for you they are visible since they are in your cache but not for me.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:32 pm
DufusMcGhee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm
bornin69 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am anyone know why it took my and dufusMcGhee 's pics down? I just used files from my MacBook.
My pics are still visible.
Maybe for you they are visible since they are in your cache but not for me.
Hmmm, I checked from another computer without logging in. They're not available, just as y'all said.

DufusMcGhee wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:37 pm
sig230 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 am
The upper one looks like a Vietnam-era Kabar 1207. The middle one looks like a Cattaraugus 225Q with a possibly-modified handle/pommel. Not sure of the bottom one but suspect it is also a Kabar.
Yup but standard pommel on the Q.
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm Since Marble's is no longer really Marble's these might count. One of the last Marble's Marble's and one I've owned and used for way over a half century:

Thought you may get a kick out of this. Here are two WWII Army Air Force Pilot Survival knives. One is by Marbles; the other is by Camillus. (The Camillus' sheath is obviously significantly postwar.)
Pilot Knives - AAF.JPG

From the same era here are two of my Westerns. Since Western is yet another great old company whose name was bought up repeatedly and I think is now owned by Camillus I think they qualify as from dead-companies at least.

jim

featureless wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:45 pm Who knew I need a halberd?
Everyone. Do you know how handy those are for clearing burning wood and debris? Of course, a brush ax will do in a pinch, is a lot cheaper, and is better in close quarters. But not as sexy, and only has half the reach.

I've met a few people who swear by the boar spears for hog hunting. We don't get 'em around here, and they certainly wouldn't be the weapon of choice for 30-50 of 'em running through the yard, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to lusting over one.

I don't own enough older cutlery to qualify for this thread.

sig230 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:18 pm Since Western is yet another great old company whose name was bought up repeatedly and I think is now owned by Camillus....

Yup and, since Camillus is essentially defunct, the Western brand is doubly-dead.

The top one appears to be an approximately Vietnam-era Shark knife, aka L46-6. Not sure about the second one. They had many, very similar blades.

The first pic is a Marbles made in the late 40's or early 50's. It was given to me in 1961 (I was 16) by my next door neighbor, a Sgt of Detectives in Homicide Dept of Seattle PD. I was helping him clean out his safe full of stuff from his career because he had retired. He said some one tried to stick him with it, but you know the old joke about bringing a knife to a Gun fight. It is my go to knife for most jobs that I need a hefty hunting type knife for. Holds an edge exceptionally well.

The second one he also gave to me. I had it researched and it is Western Model L49 made between 1939 and 40. I have used it as a skinning knife. He didn't tell me how he came by it.

I collect knives and have over 70 but these two are my favs. However, my EDC is a Swiss Army knife.

Unfortunately he passed away from TB about a year later. Damn shame. He was a great guy.

Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"