Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
User avatar
wpkato
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:18 pm
Contact:

Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#1 Post by wpkato » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

https://www.opb.org/news/article/libera ... rs-oregon/

I'd be lying if one of the reasons that motivated me to carry was the rise of right wing violence, especially against minorities. I had my firearms license (FOID in Illinois) for eight years and didn't seriously learn how to shoot or carry concealed until two years ago, not co-incidently with the election of the current President and his vile rhetoric. Sad state of affairs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3516
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#2 Post by K9s » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm

I bet a lot more people are in the situation than just you.

Charlottesville.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3674
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#3 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 pm

The guy who said he didn’t believe guns should be kept in the home for self defense is not a club member, he was a guest.
Also, kilt guy was a Pink Pistols Member come to check us out.
ImageImage

User avatar
HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3674
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#4 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 pm
The guy who said he didn’t believe guns should be kept in the home for self defense is not a club member, he was a first time guest. Also, kilt guy was a Pink Pistols Member come to check us out.
ImageImage

User avatar
HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3674
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#5 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 pm

The guy who said he didn’t believe guns should be kept in the home for self defense is not a club member, he was a first time guest. Also, kilt guy was a Pink Pistols Member come to check us out. I’ve sent an email to the reporter ask8ng that he make that clear when the radio story comes out on Monday
ImageImage

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 11367
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#6 Post by highdesert » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 pm

After the 2016 election a lot of people on the left became more concerned about safety, especially women and minorities. Haven't seen a national analysis but I suspect that after each violent event like Pulse Nightclub and Charlottesville concealed carry licenses applications go up in states. Good OPB article, Ross posts here.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3674
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#7 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:16 pm

highdesert wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 pm
After the 2016 election a lot of people on the left became more concerned about safety, especially women and minorities. Haven't seen a national analysis but I suspect that after each violent event like Pulse Nightclub and Charlottesville concealed carry licenses applications go up in states. Good OPB article, Ross posts here.
I read Ross’ blog. Ross, update your blog! We want to read more!
ImageImage

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18079
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#8 Post by CDFingers » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Any publicity is good publicity. Well, maybe.

It is true that if somebody gets in your face and you show you're armed they'll quickly back off--unless they're armed. If they're armed legally--that is, holding a state CCW--it is not likely they'd've gotten in your face in the first place. Srsly. That means 99 out of 100 folks who get in your face will not be armed. So, get armed, and open your coat to show. The chicken shits will piss themselves and bail.

That being said, I don't think there's enough of the "shooting stuff is fun" aspect in the article. I hope the radio spot will show that more.

But still, getting the cleaning mat out there with our name is good. Self defense is real and valid.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Drink all day and rock all night.
The law come to get you if you don't walk right.

User avatar
Bang
Chatty
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm
Location: LGC Member in The land of the Mormons
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#9 Post by Bang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 am

CDFingers wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm
Any publicity is good publicity. Well, maybe.

It is true that if somebody gets in your face and you show you're armed they'll quickly back off--unless they're armed. If they're armed legally--that is, holding a state CCW--it is not likely they'd've gotten in your face in the first place. Srsly. That means 99 out of 100 folks who get in your face will not be armed. So, get armed, and open your coat to show. The chicken shits will piss themselves and bail.

That being said, I don't think there's enough of the "shooting stuff is fun" aspect in the article. I hope the radio spot will show that more.

But still, getting the cleaning mat out there with our name is good. Self defense is real and valid.

CDFingers
I don't know that I agree with brandishing. No one needs to know I'm armed until they've earned a bullet, then they can find out. And even still, I'm doing whatever I can to get out of that situation before it comes to self defense.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18079
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#10 Post by CDFingers » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 am

Bang wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 am
CDFingers wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm
Any publicity is good publicity. Well, maybe.

It is true that if somebody gets in your face and you show you're armed they'll quickly back off--unless they're armed. If they're armed legally--that is, holding a state CCW--it is not likely they'd've gotten in your face in the first place. Srsly. That means 99 out of 100 folks who get in your face will not be armed. So, get armed, and open your coat to show. The chicken shits will piss themselves and bail.

That being said, I don't think there's enough of the "shooting stuff is fun" aspect in the article. I hope the radio spot will show that more.

But still, getting the cleaning mat out there with our name is good. Self defense is real and valid.

CDFingers
I don't know that I agree with brandishing. No one needs to know I'm armed until they've earned a bullet, then they can find out. And even still, I'm doing whatever I can to get out of that situation before it comes to self defense.
I don't think everyone who gets in my face needs to be shot. But I do want them to know they could be shot if they cross a line. I see it as a defensive gun use.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Drink all day and rock all night.
The law come to get you if you don't walk right.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 11367
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#11 Post by highdesert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am

It's always tough dealing with the media because you can work on a story but you don't have editorial control of where it goes. It was a good segment and good PR for the club. In OR it appears you have one public radio station around the state, in CA we have many. One station has advantages but so do multiple stations because they carry different programs. I mainly listen to the NPR stations out of Santa Monica and San Diego but if I'm farther afield I can pick up the stations in Pasadena, San Bernardino and Orange County.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#12 Post by Mustang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm

CDFingers wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 am
Bang wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 am

I don't know that I agree with brandishing. No one needs to know I'm armed until they've earned a bullet, then they can find out. And even still, I'm doing whatever I can to get out of that situation before it comes to self defense.
I don't think everyone who gets in my face needs to be shot. But I do want them to know they could be shot if they cross a line. I see it as a defensive gun use.

CDFingers
I'm not sure that is sound legal advice. If you brandish a legally carried firearm at people because they "get in your face", you may not be legally carrying that firearm for long.
Last edited by Mustang on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3178
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Corvallis,Oregon (LGC Member)
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#13 Post by Bacchus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Great coverage of Ross- he does good stuff in this area; I'm also one who carries because of the rise of the extreme right. As a side note, labels are a curious thing: I never used to hear the term 'leftist' but now I do frequently. I don't really know what that means. I used to know what a conservative believed in, and I'm quite sure I don't recognize most who currently claim to be conservative. I know a lot of folks who are or were formerly registered Dem but who have come to believe that our economic system is off the rails and benefitting primarily the very wealthy. That's not leftist to me.

I digress.

I'm a little disappointed in the bit about the LGC, though it did have a sweet picture of LGC swag and some neat pistols. (Dig the Astra 400 there, in 9mm Largo. Spanish Civil war era, that, and it was a tack-driver. ;) ) We had a lot of LGC members there, but it seems only the non members got most of the attention. Note: The most extreme-looking persons in the group don't necessarily have the most interesting stories to tell. (and I think that is also true of much of the media coverage of gun shows)

Still, good to see the LGC in the news. It would be nice to have a follow-up story of some of our members, what they shoot, why they shoot, and how we differ from our anti-gun friends on the left.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Image
ImageImage

User avatar
RapidButterfly
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Re: NPR Oregon - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#14 Post by RapidButterfly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Mustang wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm
CDFingers wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 am
Bang wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 am

I don't know that I agree with brandishing. No one needs to know I'm armed until they've earned a bullet, then they can find out. And even still, I'm doing whatever I can to get out of that situation before it comes to self defense.
I don't think everyone who gets in my face needs to be shot. But I do want them to know they could be shot if they cross a line. I see it as a defensive gun use.

CDFingers
I'm not sure that is sound legal advice. I you brandish a legally carried firearm at people because they "get in your face", you may not be legally carrying that firearm for long.
I strongly recommend books like Ayoob’s Understanding Your Right to Self Defense and the better The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca and ongoing careful thought about the law of self defense and how best to comply with it. Brandishing is serious business and the criteria for it are high, higher than someone being in one’s face, I’d say.

I carried for years with a permit in Va. have applied to carry here. And, I practiced law for over a decade though I’m not actively licensed or practicing anywhere right now. I’m just one citizen among others. But as armed citizens we have great responsibilities and ongoing self education and analysis is one of them. Or, so I believe.
audite semper, semper discendum

User avatar
Eris
Moderator
Posts: 2561
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#15 Post by Eris » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

The only time I ever brandished I did so because one guy had a steel pipe in his hand and was about to bash another guy's head. I pointed my gun at the first guy and told him to drop the pipe and leave. He did. Regardless of whether that was legally "brandishing" I call that a successful defensive gun use.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#16 Post by Mustang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 pm

I might add that any allegation of Brandishing on the part of a CC permit holder, whether prosecuted criminally or not, will frequently result in a short investigation by the issuing department, followed by a quick revocation if there is any hint that the CC permit holder brandished the firearm inappropriately.

User avatar
RapidButterfly
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#17 Post by RapidButterfly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Eris wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm
The only time I ever brandished I did so because one guy had a steel pipe in his hand and was about to bash another guy's head. I pointed my gun at the first guy and told him to drop the pipe and leave. He did. Regardless of whether that was legally "brandishing" I call that a successful defensive gun use.
That seems like a reasonable defense of others situation, fraught as those can be. Reasonable to view a pipe to the head as an imminent threat of lethal force.
audite semper, semper discendum

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14669
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#18 Post by Inquisitor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm

HuckleberryFun wrote:
highdesert wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 pm
After the 2016 election a lot of people on the left became more concerned about safety, especially women and minorities. Haven't seen a national analysis but I suspect that after each violent event like Pulse Nightclub and Charlottesville concealed carry licenses applications go up in states. Good OPB article, Ross posts here.
I read Ross’ blog. Ross, update your blog! We want to read more!
It auto publishes to LGC.

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5704
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#19 Post by Bisbee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Good article.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Virgina
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#20 Post by DavidMS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 pm

RapidButterfly wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm
Eris wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm
The only time I ever brandished I did so because one guy had a steel pipe in his hand and was about to bash another guy's head. I pointed my gun at the first guy and told him to drop the pipe and leave. He did. Regardless of whether that was legally "brandishing" I call that a successful defensive gun use.
That seems like a reasonable defense of others situation, fraught as those can be. Reasonable to view a pipe to the head as an imminent threat of lethal force.
Reasonable action given your knowledge of the situation. You probably saved him from death or grievous bodily injury. Defending others that you don't know can be more risky as you don't know the full story of what lead up to that moment.

User avatar
RapidButterfly
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#21 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 am

Agreed. A spate of cases, punctuated recently by the death of Mr. Bradford in Alabama, suggest extreme caution about getting involved in situations where you go to the defense of others when you haven’t seen the whole situation unfold (or even if you have). But Eris’ situation seems pretty clear cut.
audite semper, semper discendum

User avatar
Eris
Moderator
Posts: 2561
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#22 Post by Eris » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 am

RapidButterfly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 am
Agreed. A spate of cases, punctuated recently by the death of Mr. Bradford in Alabama, suggest extreme caution about getting involved in situations where you go to the defense of others when you haven’t seen the whole situation unfold (or even if you have). But Eris’ situation seems pretty clear cut.
Yeah, mine was very clear cut. It was two friends of my brother in law, one of whom I knew fairly well, and they'd been arguing and fighting for a few minutes before it escalated to the point of danger.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18079
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#23 Post by CDFingers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am

I agree with the cautions about brandishing. Still, I would wonder after the point of carrying if you couldn't say 'back off' by like having a red hour glass on your belly or what not.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Drink all day and rock all night.
The law come to get you if you don't walk right.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 11367
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#24 Post by highdesert » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm

CDFingers wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am
I agree with the cautions about brandishing. Still, I would wonder after the point of carrying if you couldn't say 'back off' by like having a red hour glass on your belly or what not.

CDFingers
The Old Black Widow tactic, :lol:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
RapidButterfly
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting - Leftists bear arms in self defense

#25 Post by RapidButterfly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I just brandish my pip-boy (sorry, video game reference, Fallout, which has a Black Widow perk for female characters)

Edited because I just can’t seem to type accurately on this forum
Last edited by RapidButterfly on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audite semper, semper discendum

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests