Lawyers claim they would report a client to authorities simply for owning a firearm

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Lawyers claim they would report a client to authorities simply for owning a firearm

#26 Post by Wino » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 am

Considering lawyers reputations or lack thereof, I think I may have bit of sympathy for them re client/gun - NOT!!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Lawyers claim they would report a client to authorities simply for owning a firearm

#27 Post by geno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:11 pm

Northern wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am I simply don’t believe it. To qualify for an exception to privilege and confidentially, the reporting lawyer generally has to reasonably believe the client is going to harm someone. No lawyer is going to report a client for legally possessing a firearm without more information that leads them to reasonably believe a violent crime is going to committed—they simply aren’t going to put their entire career at stake for that. If the author of that piece thinks he heard “many” say that then he’s most certainly a poor listener. Sometimes, given the weird conservative stereotypes of the law and lawyers on this forum, my eyes hurt from rolling.

+1, Not only is this thread back from the dead by someone with an ulterior motive but the co-author has a suspiciously similar case in his past; https://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?s=MS&d=42115 and then there's the source.
Its the internet folks can you really believe anyone with the given name of Chauncey, what is this a Peter Seller's movie?
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#28 Post by sikacz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 pm

geno wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:11 pm
Northern wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am I simply don’t believe it. To qualify for an exception to privilege and confidentially, the reporting lawyer generally has to reasonably believe the client is going to harm someone. No lawyer is going to report a client for legally possessing a firearm without more information that leads them to reasonably believe a violent crime is going to committed—they simply aren’t going to put their entire career at stake for that. If the author of that piece thinks he heard “many” say that then he’s most certainly a poor listener. Sometimes, given the weird conservative stereotypes of the law and lawyers on this forum, my eyes hurt from rolling.

+1, Not only is this thread back from the dead by someone with an ulterior motive but the co-author has a suspiciously similar case in his past; https://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?s=MS&d=42115 and then there's the source.
Its the internet folks can you really believe anyone with the given name of Chauncey, what is this a Peter Seller's movie?

That would be post number 14.....
I still believe that the free possession of firearms is a problem of our time because people do not have the right to administer justice themselves. The human mind is not capable of making decisions in a fit of anger and malice.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#29 Post by lurker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 pm

:roflmao:

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

#30 Post by DispositionMatrix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Northern wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am Disposition, the fact that the CLE seminar exists — and it sounds like a very usual one — does not mean that the comments of attendees are accurately reported or reported without omitting something crucial that would change the appearance of absurdity.
I never said the existence of the seminar indicated accurate reporting. My previous reply listed every source someone who cares could chase down for comment.

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

#31 Post by geno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Northern wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am
Having not written the article, I can only confirm the seminar mentioned therein exists and that it was presented by Adam Kilgore of Jackson, Mississippi.
Northern Regional Bar Meeting/CLE on the Road Tupelo May 17, 2019
10:10 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. The "Perfect" Match: Selecting Clients For Successful Representation (Ethics)
(60 minutes) Adam Kilgore, MB General Counsel
The Mississippi Bar Summer School starts today
10:30 AM-12:00 PM The “Perfect” Match: Selecting Clients For Successful Representation (Ethics Session)
Adam Kilgore, JACKSON, Missye Martin, JACKSON
Pretty sure those are typos; it should be Kilgore Trout.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

NegativeApproach
Verified Member
Verified Member

#32 Post by NegativeApproach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:30 pm

I don't think anyone needs more reasons to hate lawyers.

Mikeinmich
Verified Member
Verified Member

#33 Post by Mikeinmich » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 pm

First-please lay off the obnoxious ‘general’ lawyer jokes. Yes, I know -almost all attorneys, in particular litigators, are an obnoxious bunch at best and many of them are true assholes. However, I personally have spent an appreciable portion of my 20 plus years as a court attorney fighting to keep individual rights from being eroded by politicians (and asshole prosecutors) from all sides. I doubt many of you have ever had to worry about whether the gate to a backyard is part of a curtilage or trying to figure out whether a cop has reasonable suspicion etc. it’s kind of like complaining about Jehovah witnesses coming to your door when they were instrumental in gaining First Amendment rights. So while I generally dislike attorneys too, more targeted insults, please

As for the original post, at least in Michigan the attorney could easily be called to explain before the attorney grievance commission. Violating client confidentiality is right up there with absconding with client funds (which can definitely get you suspended or even disbarred depending) And certainly the client could try a malpractice suit, premised on the breach of duty etc. And here, there is no automatic Michigan state bar “malpractice insurance “. Instead we all pay into a client relief fund for repaying instances of normal stealing etc. (one can always buy individual malpractice insurance of course) So if the hypothetical attorney loses here, they would have to pay like a Dr, for example. Of course malpractice is a hard one to win here too. But unless I personally felt that my client is planning some violence etc it would be nowhere near worth my while to “turn him in.” I would posit that if the story is correct perhaps the percentage who would say something is over represented by either gun control converts or those who haven’t really comprehended what a tangled web they would be weaving

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#34 Post by sikacz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm

I’m sure some lawyers say stupid things without thinking it through, just like some of us.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Rossifan1782
Verified Member
Verified Member

#35 Post by Rossifan1782 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Is this actually an article taking a CLE seriously? :roflmao: The article doesn't mention most in attendance were probably playing on their phones, or working. In person credits suck, someone newly admitted might be paying attention but I doubt people who respond heard the whole question nor cared.

A glib response because the speaker wanted "audience participation" is my guess. Anyone dumb enough to break privilege over this probably has a disciplinary record with their state bar a mile long. Do your due diligence in hiring and you should be fine.

Mikeinmich
Verified Member
Verified Member

#36 Post by Mikeinmich » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 pm

I find CLEs somewhat odd to say the least. We don’t have that requirement here. Although if we did, I’m sure one (or more) of those “professional CLE” type cruises would definitely be in my future. And it would all be tax deductible :yahoo: I certainly wouldn’t sign up for a stodgy class where someone would actually care if I paid attention. lol

CowboyT
Loquacious

#37 Post by CowboyT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 am

HeatherLees wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 pm I still believe that the free possession of firearms is a problem of our time because people do not have the right to administer justice themselves. The human mind is not capable of making decisions in a fit of anger and malice.
Heather has obviously never been Black in America.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/ (reloading instruction)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
---------------------------------------
A true Liberal must back the Second Amendment 100%!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#38 Post by lurker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:53 am

CowboyT wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 am
HeatherLees wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 pm I still believe that the free possession of firearms is a problem of our time because people do not have the right to administer justice themselves. The human mind is not capable of making decisions in a fit of anger and malice.
Heather has obviously never been Black in America.
heather is a spammer who has likely never set foot in the US. could be black, no way to know.

Northern
Been around awhile

#39 Post by Northern » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:41 am

Mikeinmich wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 pm First-please lay off the obnoxious ‘general’ lawyer jokes. Yes, I know -almost all attorneys, in particular litigators, are an obnoxious bunch at best and many of them are true assholes. However, I personally have spent an appreciable portion of my 20 plus years as a court attorney fighting to keep individual rights from being eroded by politicians (and asshole prosecutors) from all sides. I doubt many of you have ever had to worry about whether the gate to a backyard is part of a curtilage or trying to figure out whether a cop has reasonable suspicion etc. it’s kind of like complaining about Jehovah witnesses coming to your door when they were instrumental in gaining First Amendment rights. So while I generally dislike attorneys too, more targeted insults, please

As for the original post, at least in Michigan the attorney could easily be called to explain before the attorney grievance commission. Violating client confidentiality is right up there with absconding with client funds (which can definitely get you suspended or even disbarred depending) And certainly the client could try a malpractice suit, premised on the breach of duty etc. And here, there is no automatic Michigan state bar “malpractice insurance “. Instead we all pay into a client relief fund for repaying instances of normal stealing etc. (one can always buy individual malpractice insurance of course) So if the hypothetical attorney loses here, they would have to pay like a Dr, for example. Of course malpractice is a hard one to win here too. But unless I personally felt that my client is planning some violence etc it would be nowhere near worth my while to “turn him in.” I would posit that if the story is correct perhaps the percentage who would say something is over represented by either gun control converts or those who haven’t really comprehended what a tangled web they would be weaving
Mikeinmich,
Agree 100%. I DM’d you.