Levi's joins the anti-gun crusade

American denim giant Levi Strauss & Co. announced Tuesday that it is launching a series of new initiatives to benefit groups working to prevent gun violence.

Levi Strausss CEO and President Chip Bergh wrote in Fortune on Tuesday that the company simply cannot stand by silently when it comes to issues that threaten the very fabric of the communities where we live and work.

You may wonder why a company that doesnt manufacture or sell guns is wading into this issue, but for us, its simple, Bergh wrote. Americans shouldnt have to live in fear of gun violence. Its an issue that affects all of us all generations and all walks of life."

Bergh said it was his responsibility to speak up for important issues since he leads a values-drive company thats known the world over as a pioneer of the American West and one of the great symbols of American freedom.

He added that he is not advocating to repeal the 2nd Amendment nor calling gun owners irresponsible.

"We cant insulate ourselves from every threat," Bergh wrote. "We cant 'harden' every place we gather whether it be our schools, workplaces, shops, churches, or entertainment venues. But we can take common-sense, measurable steps like criminal background checks on all gun sales that will save lives."

Levi's, therefore, announced a new three-tiered initiative to support gun violence prevention.

The company will donate more than $1 million over the next four years to nonprofits and youth activists that work to end gun violence, establishing the Safer Tomorrow Fund.

The blue jean manufacturer also partnered with gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety and other executives to form Everytown Business Leaders for Gun Safety.
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/ ... y-silently

It's a shame, they're the best jean for the price, but I won't be buying anymore until they change their position on this.

Re: Levi's joins the anti-gun crusade

But the really good news is since poverty is a major factor in community violence Levi Strauss will also attack that by bringing the manufacturing jobs back to the US. They will offer good wages and benefits which will be a major step in helping the community.

What? They didn't announce that? I'm sure they will.... Soon.....

BKinzey wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 am But the really good news is since poverty is a major factor in community violence Levi Strauss will also attack that by bringing the manufacturing jobs back to the US. They will offer good wages and benefits which will be a major step in helping the community.

What? They didn't announce that? I'm sure they will.... Soon.....
They're having their PR folks work on the press release as we type.

Maybe Trump can make it happen? Since he's a "deal maker" and all and clearly doesn't see American workers at patsies?

methodmissing wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm I've been lusting after a pair of these pants from Filson.
https://www.filson.com/dry-tin-cloth-5- ... pants.html

I'm happy to never buy Levi again.
Filson is nice stuff. Pricey. I've got their cruiser jacket- works for stepping out in the PNW cold and drizzle.
HuckleberryFun wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:49 pm Too bad.
I was a gay teenager in the Eighties...when, let’s face it, everyone looked gay.
So, I’ll always have a nostalgic fondness for skintight 501s, not that I could get away with wearing them anymore.

I still kick around in 501s! Granted, the waist dimension has gone up...
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six