While cleaning gun man shoots self and sleeping neighbor’s bed

Police said a Virginia man was cleaning his gun when it accidentally discharged, wounding him and putting a bullet into his next door neighbor’s bed while the neighbor was sleeping.

The incident happened just after midnight New Year’s Day in the 14100 block of Asher View in Centreville, according to Fairfax County Police.

Keanu H. Kishimoto, 22, was cleaning his gun when he accidentally discharged it, police said. The bullet from his gun went into his next door neighbor’s bedroom and hit the neighbor’s bed while he was sleeping in it, according to police.

Kishimoto suffered minor injuries. His neighbor was not hurt.

Police said Kishimoto was charged with unlawful shooting and obstruction of justice.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 569f527578

There must be more to that story.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: While cleaning gun man shoots self and sleeping neighbor’s bed

and he sure as hell wasn't 'cleaning that gun. He had been outside shooting up in the air. When he brought it in he still had his finger on the trigger and.....
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I just cleaned a gun for the first time in my life. First, I would like to point out that I survived and nothing was shot. I had always assumed based on so many people shooting themselves that there must be something extra dangerous about cleaning a gun. Oddly though, when I took it out of the case, it was not magically loaded. When I removed the (empty) magazine it was not instantly replaced by a stack of shinny .45 ACP rounds. When I locked back the slide to check the chamber, it was clear. Again, no bullets suddenly in place.

Turns out that if you choose to handle every firearm appropriately every time, which means confirming the state of load, there's nothing inherently dangerous about cleaning a gun!

LouGubrius wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 pm I just cleaned a gun for the first time in my life. First, I would like to point out that I survived and nothing was shot. I had always assumed based on so many people shooting themselves that there must be something extra dangerous about cleaning a gun. Oddly though, when I took it out of the case, it was not magically loaded. When I removed the (empty) magazine it was not instantly replaced by a stack of shinny .45 ACP rounds. When I locked back the slide to check the chamber, it was clear. Again, no bullets suddenly in place.

Turns out that if you choose to handle every firearm appropriately every time, which means confirming the state of load, there's nothing inherently dangerous about cleaning a gun!
The very first thing I do when cleaning, aside from dropping the mag and clearing the chamber, is make it inoperable or as close to inoperable as I can. Pull the slide off the receiver and remove the barrel, separate an AR into its upper/lower receivers, etc.

It's not rocket surgery.

I think Hiker got it right. There was no cleaning involved. That is the catch’all phrase for negligent discharge. Better than telling the cops, “Yeah, I was like playing Dirty Harry in the mirror when the f’n thing just went off, man!”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

mesonary wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 am I certainly didn't want to bring up this topic again, but I need some advice. I recently bought a weapon with which I am currently training at the shooting range. And in general, what is my question? I want to find out how often it is worth cleaning weapons and whether I can take them to the gun store where I had them cleaned. Since I'm a little afraid to clean it at home, although I know how to do it a little. But the fear of somehow spoiling it exceeds my capabilities because I do not want to repurchase a new weapon. So if you can answer, I will be very grateful.
If this ISN'T spam...what I have seen at the range certainly fits in..some that barely know what end the bullet comes out of..if not for the RSO, they wouldn't know how the thing works BUT...

If you ARE at a controlled range..talk to the staff there, explain what's up and I'll bet they can help you out. Many, many classes that teach this sort of thing..

For a simple field strip and clean..pretty hard to break it BUT....