Re: BBC: Active Shooter in Christchurch NZ

Erdogan is a dictator, he'll use anything to win an election. Last election he was holding rallies in European countries to get the votes of Turks living there, he got tossed from some countries. I'd expect the NZ government budget will increase spending for their Security Intelligence Service which monitors foreign and domestic intelligence. Extremism comes from both ends of the spectrum.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 pm
Wino wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm
Eris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:46 pm Yeesh. How can an Australian in New Zealand say "Make America Great Again" with a straight face?
My bad. See my previous modified post!!
Ah. Still, I've recently seen pictures of right wingers in NZ displaying the MAGA slogan anyway. I think that outside the US "MAGA" now is just code for white supremacy. It is for some people inside the US too, but it's not universal here.
MAGA has replaced the Confederate flag as it isn't like waving a red cape at a bull - yet. As for my confusing my killers - they both are MAGA's and relate to Trump.

I'm having an understanding / comprehension problem. I awake every day and wonder what the fuck went so wrong Trump was elected and how could anyone be gullible enough to vote for the mother fucker??
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

A side note to this tragedy. Prime Minister Ardern gave a speech at the high school I attended and my nephew currently attends. Two current students and one recent student were killed and one current is in hospital injured. Life is fucking weird.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Funerals are starting.
A father and son who fled the civil war in Syria for “the safest country in the world” were buried before hundreds of mourners Wednesday, the first funerals for victims of shootings at two mosques in New Zealand that horrified a nation known for being welcoming and diverse. The funerals of Khalid Mustafa, 44, and Hamza Mustafa, 15, came five days after a white supremacist methodically gunned down 50 worshipers at two mosques in Christchurch — a massacre that he broadcast live on Facebook. Hamza’s high school principal described the student as compassionate and hardworking, and said he was an excellent horse rider who aspired to be a veterinarian.

Those present included Hamza’s younger brother, 13-year-old Zaed, who was wounded in an arm and a leg during the attack. The boy tried to stand during the ceremony but had to sit back in his wheelchair, one mourner said. “We tried to not shake his hand, and not touch his hand or his foot, but he refused, he wanted to shake everybody’s hand, he wanted to show everyone that he appreciated them. And that’s amazing,” said Jamil El-Biza, who traveled from Australia to attend the funeral. The Mustafas had moved to New Zealand last year after spending six years as refugees in Jordan. Mustafa’s wife, Salwa, told Radio New Zealand that when the family asked about New Zealand they were told “it’s the safest country in the world, the most wonderful country you can go ... you will start a very wonderful life there.”
https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-new ... story.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino- study post WWI Germany to understand why Hitler was elected to see the parallel’s of what’s happened in our country. Yes, it’s not a perfect comparison. After all, Hitler was actually as poor and dejected as the Germans he purported to represent at the time. But bad things do happen when fear and anger are used as tools for political gain.

Most political scientists are moving onto understanding the problems of society that lead to Turnip’s rise to power and seeing the president as merely a symptom of the societal disease when the promise of Capitalism bears only insecurity and shame (of being a Loser) for a growing majority of Americans. Yes, the Republicans blame the other poor brown people, not the Bankers (unless they are Jewish), not the Neo-Robber Barons. Turnip merely had the audacity and ignorance to grab the RNC rhetoric and run away with it. If he truly understood what he was doing to expose himself and all his family’s shady-dealings, he never would have ran for president.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:06 pm Turnip merely had the audacity and ignorance to grab the RNC rhetoric and run away with it. If he truly understood what he was doing to expose himself and all his family’s shady-dealings, he never would have ran for president.
I will believe that when I see some convictions and prison time served. For now, he still has pardon power and the GOP under his thumb.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

max129 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pm I confess. I have several guns whose purpose it is to sustain me if we go full Australian. I have a lever action rifle and a SAA revolver.
I was wondering what shape the next AWB would take here the other day. I cannot imaging a semi-auto ban in my lifetime. Maybe a ban on commercial sales, but not possession? The original ban (Wikipedia): The Act included a "grandfather clause" to allow for possession and transfer of weapons and ammunition that "were otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of enactment."

It also didn't exempt the SKS, so I bought a few of those just in case. And revolvers.

I assume it would never pass without a "grandfather clause" anyway, no matter what. A gun grab would be held up in the courts and struck down by the current SCOTUS, I believe.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... ttack.html
New Zealand's Jewish community is outraged and revolted after a prominent mosque leader blamed Mossad for being behind the Christchurch terror attack.

On Saturday, a group called Love Aotearoa Hate Racism organised a rally for the victims in Auckland's Aotea Square.

Ahmed Bhamji, chairman of the Mt Roskill Masjid E Umar, gave a speech questioning where the gunman got his funding from. He said he suspected it came from "Mossad" and "Zionist business".

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:58 pm https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... ttack.html
New Zealand's Jewish community is outraged and revolted after a prominent mosque leader blamed Mossad for being behind the Christchurch terror attack.

On Saturday, a group called Love Aotearoa Hate Racism organised a rally for the victims in Auckland's Aotea Square.

Ahmed Bhamji, chairman of the Mt Roskill Masjid E Umar, gave a speech questioning where the gunman got his funding from. He said he suspected it came from "Mossad" and "Zionist business".
Wow. So they have an "Alex Jones" over there, too?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Yeah, this is a reddit meme, yet it's filled with truth. The manifesto said the same thing as the terrorists always say.

It's tough to fight a group who gladly will die to do what they do.

Root cause does not work with terrorists, as they have only one way they want things to be. There is no mitigation.

All we can do is to help more of them die sooner so their numbers diminish to insignificance. Sad to say that.

Shooting well is the best revenge. Play Bullseye.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Jeebus...

That clip is ironic, CD, given that it is a commentary on people in general whereas I believe you were actually commenting on Terrorists.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi