"Woman bicyclist guns down armed man in downtown Detroit"

Police: Woman bicyclist guns down armed man in downtown Detroit
Janae Gordon, a spokeswoman for Detroit Police Department, said the man was driving a 2006 Land Rover when he had a "road rage" incident with the two bicyclists.

He then allegedly exited the Land Rover, with a weapon in hand, and approached the pair. The weapon was not a gun, Gordon said, but police declined to specify what it was, citing the ongoing investigation.

One of the bicyclists, a 28-year-old woman and a concealed pistol license holder, was armed, and allegedly fired once, striking the man. He died from his injuries.
Man shot dead in apparent road rage incident in Detroit as tensions and violence mount
Donakowski said she had a concealed pistol license. The other cyclist, he added, was a man, and but offered no additional information about him or whether he also had a weapon.

Detectives also did not know whether the man in the SUV and the two people on bikes knew each other.

Police said officers arrested the woman and she is being held until the Wayne County prosecutor decides whether the case was self-defense or homicide and to bring charges against her.

Re: "Woman bicyclist guns down armed man in downtown Detroit"

I'm guessing the 28 yo shooter is wishing she had jumped on her bike and scooted off, provided report is true that perp weapon wasn't a gun, but suspect that's what will be claimed if it goes to court. On the other hand, if she had, the road rager may just try to run them down with his Land Rover. People are getting fucking nuttier by the day, and I personally blame Donald J. fucking Trump !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Of course it's homicide (death caused by a human). Whether unlawful or not ... TBD.

And it serves as a sobering reminder that use of force carries consequences that, however temporary, can be devastating to the individual who, even justifiably, defends themself.*

ETA: *with a firearm i should add.
If one were to defend themselves with a broadsword, mace, or maybe even a trebuchet then they'll be fine. But if one is in a jurisdiction with a DA who wants to make points with demanding moms, one is in for a very unpleasant and expensive decade.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

As a dedicated fan of the trebuchet - I considered "treebucket" as a pseudonym - I sadly disagree. It varies state by state, but at least in neighboring Ohio, firearms hold a protected status in law far above any other weapon. All she needs is to assert that she was in fear of her life, and she should walk. SUV vs. bike? She had her defense sorted even if he didn't have a weapon in hand. Remember: a mistrial only takes one.

wings wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 pm As a dedicated fan of the trebuchet - I considered "treebucket" as a pseudonym - I sadly disagree. It varies state by state, but at least in neighboring Ohio, firearms hold a protected status in law far above any other weapon. All she needs is to assert that she was in fear of her life, and she should walk. SUV vs. bike? She had her defense sorted even if he didn't have a weapon in hand. Remember: a mistrial only takes one.
Perhaps. She may indeed not fall under criminal statute and, after maybe spending a fair amount on representation in that arena, "walk" as you say...straight into civil court.
At considerable expense.
We Are So Screwed

wings wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 pm I think the circumstances here are...
As yet still more unknown to us than known.

Regarding a civil action, there is no downside to the plaintiff. Despite everything being by the book, no error or malice or escalating behavior, there is absolutely no downside to bringing a wrongful death action against the shooter.

From a plaintiffs point of view...Worst case: after seeing the defense shell out a boatload in legal fees, the plaintiff's case gets tossed.
We Are So Screwed

Weird today. But wait ... mixing bicycles and weapons has always been weird.

I used to race bicycles oh ... 48 years ago. (That's not totally true; I tried my hand at returning to racing 25 years ago ... )

Anyway, there was a story going around that a dog chased a cop who was a member of the Dayton (Ohio) Cycling Club. So he calmy went over to the couple that he felt owned the dog. They denied that the dog was theirs. So he shot the dog and rode away.

friend of my dad had knee replacement surgery, he lives alone with his dog. The dog has pretty much became his daughter. He fell and couldn't get up and one of his neighbors called the police for a wellness check, the cop entered the house and found my dad's friend on the floor trying to get up. his dog came up beside him and started growling at the cop. first thing the cop did was put his hand on the gun. My dad's friend looked at him and said you shoot this dog and I am going to shoot you.

People or animals the first thing cops do is reach for their gun. that seems to be the problem anymore.

rolandson wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 pm
wings wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 pm I think the circumstances here are...
As yet still more unknown to us than known.

Regarding a civil action, there is no downside to the plaintiff. Despite everything being by the book, no error or malice or escalating behavior, there is absolutely no downside to bringing a wrongful death action against the shooter.

From a plaintiffs point of view...Worst case: after seeing the defense shell out a boatload in legal fees, the plaintiff's case gets tossed.
Some states don't allow civil suits unless the case goes to trial.