Re: How to embed a YouTube Video in the LCG Forum

DSLAM wrote:What about creating a hyper link of text in a post? Like if I want the words "read this article" to be a hyper link to a http://www.com address, is it possible? I see the URL function but that just makes a regular URL into a clickable link. Can we not hypertext text of our choosing?
Like this?

great forum
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." Dudley Malone

To realize the value of nine months...ask the mother of a stillborn.

painter wrote:
DSLAM wrote:What about creating a hyper link of text in a post? Like if I want the words "read this article" to be a hyper link to a http://www.com address, is it possible? I see the URL function but that just makes a regular URL into a clickable link. Can we not hypertext text of our choosing?
Like this?

great forum
Got it! Thanks!

Edit: Still think a specific button would be much more expedient.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:
painter wrote:
Like this?

great forum
Got it! Thanks!

Yes! Ok, I see how to do it now. :bananadance: Yeah, I wish there was a specific button for it.
The reason you wouldn't want to burn the flag, is because you can.

K, now someone explain what most of these buttons are.

The only buttons I've been able to work are these:
B, i, u, Quote, Img, URL, Font size, youtube

Also "youtu_be" doesn't work for me. Instead I have to use "youtube".

For example:
[youtu_be]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN6z8atxgwI[/youtu_be]

Last edited by commandZee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:
painter wrote:
Like this?

great forum
Got it! Thanks!

The problem with a specific button is there is no way the software can differentiate between the link and the text you want to hyperlink.

We'll just have to do it the old fashioned way. ;)
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." Dudley Malone

painter wrote: The problem with a specific button is there is no way the software can differentiate between the link and the text you want to hyperlink.

We'll just have to do it the old fashioned way. ;)
Yeah, guess you're right.

It sucks because I'm used to posting with hyperlinks and multi quotes on other boards that have the specific buttons. On this one I can't respond as fast or express myself as succinctly.
-Abraham Lincoln

DSLAM wrote:
painter wrote:
DSLAM wrote:I guess the forum software needs to be updated to address these issues.
I don't believe an update will help.
Why not?
I've never seen any forum software that will differentiate the link and the chosen text. All the button does is wrap selected text with tags.

I admin a forum that uses a different brand of software and it doesn't have that ability either.

Maybe it's out there, but I'm not aware of it.

painter wrote:I've never seen any forum software that will differentiate the link and the chosen text. All the button does is wrap selected text with tags.
I think that's what we're asking for.

Edit:
This is what I'm familiar with over at Calguns.net or M4carbine.net, you highlight the selected text- click the hyperlink button- then a field pops out where you cut and paste the link- presto.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:
painter wrote:I've never seen any forum software that will differentiate the link and the chosen text. All the button does is wrap selected text with tags.
I think that's what we're asking for.
But with hyperlinking text the tags need to be broken up along with adding an = sign as below.

text

A link button can only wrap it all link

I don't know of any way you could tell the software where the link ends to place the bracket and where the text starts and then put the closing tag after the hypertext.

There are much smarter people than I doing this code. I just use it.

DSLAM wrote:But I think commandZee is correct. There are other forums that do this. I have used them also. But yeah, I'm not an expert either. :confused:
I've never seen it before.

It would be interesting to see it.

Do you have a link to a forum that has that button?

painter wrote:
DSLAM wrote:But I think commandZee is correct. There are other forums that do this. I have used them also. But yeah, I'm not an expert either. :confused:
I've never seen it before.

It would be interesting to see it.

Do you have a link to a forum that has that button?

Here's where I use it most often.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php
-Abraham Lincoln
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-11-28 at 2.21.07 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-11-28 at 2.21.07 PM.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 19647 times
Screen shot 2012-11-28 at 2.19.09 PM.png

You select the text you want to make into a hyperlink, in this case it was "check out this forum", then you hit that magic button I pointed to and a window will pop up and it will ask you what link to point to. I put in the LFC forum link, you hit "ok" and then you see it as a clickable link.
The reason you wouldn't want to burn the flag, is because you can.

DSLAM wrote:You select the text you want to make into a hyperlink, in this case it was "check out this forum", then you hit that magic button I pointed to and a window will pop up and it will ask you what link to point to. I put in the LFC forum link, you hit "ok" and then you see it as a clickable link.
You're right...it does do that. I thought you were referring to a one click button.

Most of the forums I frequent run on SMF software and that same button doesn't perform that function. The phpbb software doesn't either. I've gotten used to the few keystrokes it requires.

I guess you'll have to petition the admins to change the forum software.