Walther PP Slide Restoration Project

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Damocles
Helpful Contributor

Walther PP Slide Restoration Project

Post by Damocles »

Two years ago I bought a 1942 commercial Walther PP off Gunbroker. I snagged it for a very good price ($260 shipped) in part because it came with no mag, a broken firing pin and had some pitting to the slide.

I bought a few Mec-Gar replacement mags and fitted it with a replacement firing pin

Although hardly serious the pitting always seemed, at least, unsightly.

Recently I found a stripped slide on eBay that I managed to win for less than $35 shipped. Although it was actually seven years older than the pistol it was in overall good condition except for having a somewhat blotchy finish.

After a bit of searching I managed to round up all the missing internal parts and have begun the process of rebuilding.

The first step was to thoroughly clean it with Simple Green and then soak the slide in vinegar to strip the finish. For anyone who hasn't done this it's a bit smelly and messy but actually quite easy. Just make sure to have plenty of 0000 steel wool to scrub it with.

Now I'm in the process of polishing.

The ultimate objective is to leave it "in the white" and keep it well oiled. I was considering parkerizing it and actually have a full bottle of Manganese Phosphate but ultimately decided that unfinished would be closer to original. Besides which I think the bare steel slide on the blued frame might actually look pretty cool.

The objective, here, is obviously not to replace the original slide but rather to have a nice looking "spare."

To be continued...

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Walther PP Slide Restoration Project

Post by Marlene »

A nice cross between bare white steel and parkerizing is a "french gray" which can be done by using naval jelly (phosphoric acid gel) to create a light coating of iron phosphate. If that appeals to you, I suggest experiments with steel scraps before trying the slide.

Damocles
Helpful Contributor

Post by Damocles »

Marlene wrote:A nice cross between bare white steel and parkerizing is a "french gray" which can be done by using naval jelly (phosphoric acid gel) to create a light coating of iron phosphate. If that appeals to you, I suggest experiments with steel scraps before trying the slide.
The same naval jelly that's used for rust removal? Thank you! I would never have thought of that. I think I have some lying around somewhere and I also have an old S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector project that's been stripped of finish that I can try it on.

Any idea if it can be oiled and how durable it is?

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

it can be oiled. I dunno about durability. Another option is to cold blue, and then use naval jelly to remove the blue. This may give a better finish.

Damocles
Helpful Contributor

Post by Damocles »

OK, here's the next stage. Stripped of the old blotchy blueing. As can be seen, the finish of the naked steel is still somewhat uneven. Looking through a loupe it appears to be a very light, fine pitting. I've already gone over it with a Dremel with wire brush and polishing attachments and will next try polishing compound and 1500 grit sandpaper.

I used some touch up paint from my Firestorm Red Dodge Stealth for the Safety dot.

dandad
Carpal Tunnel

Post by dandad »

Nice!

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more