Manufacturing Pictures

Hello,

I thought you all might enjoy some pictures of what I do in the shop. It illustrates the work I put into one single piece, the Classic Target Post.

As a preface, please understand that I generally dislike machines for this sort of work. Though I could turn these posts out on a lathe, I have no desire to do so. I prefer to shape them manually. The drill press is a necessity and is useful, and it's also the most sophisticated piece of machinery I use!

I start shaping with a coarse file. This gets the basic profile down:

I then move on to a less aggressive file. This allows me to smooth out the lines -- though you'll note I do keep lines on the post cut down on glare. The goal is to provide a surface that is as flat matte black as I can achieve:

The last step on the press is to apply cold bluing. This is not so much for color as it is to prep the surface by oxidizing it:

Next, I do a process I invented. I call it Perma-Soot, though it's an unofficial name. I have no idea whether anyone else uses this name for something different, though a quick Google search didn't kick up anything.

You know how target shooters often smoke their sights to make them as absolutely black as possible? My process is designed to lock that in.

Step 1, soot the sight post:

Step 2, apply the Perma-Soot chemical:

Step 3, remove this chemical after a certain period of time:

That's the camera flash on the sight post. That's all the glare I can get it to produce. By comparison, a standard blued sight appears almost white when exposed to the same amount of camera flash.

A couple additional pictures of hand-shaping the shims I sell in my Mosin Accuracy Kits:

I hope you've enjoyed. As I've stated elsewhere for years, I do this by hand. Every single item I make passes through my hands, and is therefore inspected for quality every step of the process. Most specialized tools I use I've made myself, too, with the exception of a jig which holds the sight for drilling. That was made by Elby of the sight tool fame. It's excellent.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Manufacturing Pictures

Fantastic! Use what you have . I'm loving it and hope you have more post like this.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I have a few of these sights--one like the pics. Neat-o. Thanks for putting them there, because it's cool to see how they're made.

I see that brass shim, too. I've made a few, but yours look nicer. Mine kind of look like poorly laundered wash and wear shirts...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Thanks, I really enjoyed the photos
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle