Cleaning the polymer of an LCR?

My wife brought her LCR to me today and showed me an odd mark/stain on the polymer that shrouds the barrel. We have no idea what it is or what caused it, but it doesn't just rub off.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to clean the polymer? I'd hate to damage or even blemish her gun in any way.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Re: Cleaning the polymer of an LCR?

I'd call Ruger in NH, that's where the revolvers are serviced. The semi-autos are serviced in AZ. The Ruger semi autos are glass filled nylon frames, I don't know what's in the revolver polymer frames. Strange and nothing in the owner's manual?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hoppe's and Ballistol should be perfectly safe. Don't use any alcohol, acetone, MEK, ether, citrus based solvents, etc. Stick with Hoppe's and Ballistol. You can, of course, also use soap and water. Don't use ANY abrasive on a polymer gun, because they are all glass fiber filled polymer, and they will abrade quite readily - And irreparably. The polymer will not be discolored by anything that you are likely to run into, so the discoloration is probably something on the surface. If it was discolored "out of the box", I'd bet it's mold release, and will clean up with soap and water.

There isn't much in the manual. It just says that the polymer can be cleaned with any polymer safe cleaner.

We only own revolvers, so we don't have any. I was looking for suggestions on what cleaner might be best for this particular polymer. Or maybe someone knows a good home remedy for cleaning it?

We'll figure it out. I'm just looking for a short cut to the answer.

Hmm. *looks closer*

You're right, that is aluminum. The finish matches the polymer perfectly! The barrel is stainless and shrouded, so I thought it was shrouded in polymer.

Now I have the same problem. How to clean it without damaging the finish. I have some Hoppe's Elite and a toothbrush. I guess I'll start there.

Thanks. I totally assumed that part was polymer!

highdesert wrote:I'd call Ruger in NH, that's where the revolvers are serviced. The semi-autos are serviced in AZ. The Ruger semi autos are glass filled nylon frames, I don't know what's in the revolver polymer frames. Strange and nothing in the owner's manual?
Where did you read that they are nylon? I looked, and could only find for certain that they were glass filled. PPO-PS Copolymer is a popular material because it has a glass transition temperature of 110C or so, so should be "dishwasher safe". Nylon has a glass transition of about 70C, so it's marginal.

Thorian wrote:Hmm. *looks closer*

You're right, that is aluminum. The finish matches the polymer perfectly! The barrel is stainless and shrouded, so I thought it was shrouded in polymer.

Now I have the same problem. How to clean it without damaging the finish. I have some Hoppe's Elite and a toothbrush. I guess I'll start there.

Thanks. I totally assumed that part was polymer!

Hoppe's Elite is ammonia based - It's made especially for cleaning bores, whereas #9 is a general cleaner and protectant. How about just some soap and a toothbrush?

pokute wrote:
highdesert wrote:I'd call Ruger in NH, that's where the revolvers are serviced. The semi-autos are serviced in AZ. The Ruger semi autos are glass filled nylon frames, I don't know what's in the revolver polymer frames. Strange and nothing in the owner's manual?
Where did you read that they are nylon? I looked, and could only find for certain that they were glass filled. PPO-PS Copolymer is a popular material because it has a glass transition temperature of 110C or so, so should be "dishwasher safe". Nylon has a glass transition of about 70C, so it's marginal.
High-performance, glass-filled nylon grip frame.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr9c/models.html

I use Ballistol on everything, no problem on the LCR22. Someone in a forum called Ruger and they said to make sure the cleaner was acetone free to protect the polymer.
http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/45398 ... eaner.html
Last edited by highdesert on Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote:
pokute wrote:
High-performance, glass-filled nylon grip frame.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr9c/models.html
Ah, great! Good to know. So don't boil it in water!