Re: Why Guns Blow Up

If you form cases, sometimes it’s necessary to neck them down from a large to small caliber. The neck will thicken during this procedure, causing a constriction. Sometimes, I make 219 Zipper cases from 30-30’s. I first neck them down in a 25-35 die, which is necessary. I then inside ream the necks and trim to proper length, and then size in the 219 die. If I didn’t ream the necks, a noticeable bulge would appear in the loaded 219. Not only would they be very difficult to chamber, but they would be hazardous to shoot, due to the excessively thick necks. When fired, the bullet will get stuck for a mil second causing the gun to blow up. To prevent that, either ream out the neck or outside turn it, to allow the bullet to exit in a normal way. I can remember, years back, the American Rifleman had an article about a 243 doing exactly that. They determined that excess neck thickness caused the rifle to blow up.
Good point. With the popularity of 6.5 mm cartridges formed from 7.62 brass like the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmor this is especially relevant. Some reloading buddies told me I was throwing money away by paying top dollar for 6.5 Grendel brass made specifically for the 6.5 Grendel instead of getting old 7.62 X 39 AK brass and reforming it. I told them thanks but no thanks.