rust removar and cold blueing help.

before moving from tennessee to nc, lady lurker kept her revolvers under the bed, which was a mistake, because apparently there was considerable humidity under there, resulting in rust ranging from light to heavy. everything appears to function ok, but i would like to fix them up and make them pretty again. i'd guess hoppes #9 and really, really fine steel wool would be a place to start, followed eventually by some cold blue chemistry in a jar thing. as you can see, i have no idea what i'm doing. somebody help me before i "fix" something! :see_stars:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: rust removar and cold blueing help.

I've used this product to remove rust which claims to leave the bluing. Works well though I have no idea how. I suspect witchcraft.
https://www.exploreproducts.com/big45-f ... leaner.htm

Never did cold bluing but the general consensus online is it's a waste of time. I'd clean up the guns as much as possible with the product above and see how they look cause you may be surprised. Then talk to gunsmiths around your area about hot bluing prices. If you find one old enough (as I did) he'll charge under $100 per gun and it will look gorgeous. Only reblue guns that have minimal collectible value.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: rust removar and cold blueing help.

The big 45 metal cleaner is essentially a Chore Boy copper scrubber. Also good for removing lead from barrels. For rust, scrub with that stuff and then oil. Wipe off any rust frequently. Scrubbing with oil can be good. 3 in 1 or similar is fine.

Cold blue can be done well, with patience and care. It would help to know what the guns are. Agree with Biz about careful evaluation before any reblue efforts.

I do cold blue on fairly warm metal. Hot water is my heat source. Scrub between applications with degreased steel wool. I’ll even scrub wet with the cold blue liquid before rinsing off that coat. As far as I’m concerned, Birchwood Casey Permablue is the only one to use. Slower to go on and slower to come off.