Re: A unique reloading bench...

lurker wrote:there's this thing called the law of parsimony. engineers know this.
Occam’s Razor? Had many a close shave. This has turned into a vanity project at this point, I see now, with some help from shin, that the design concept is pretty solid, however the execution was flawed (at least that’s my plan). I still may have to go the pins route if these big boy magnets don’t work, at which pony the lesson will be clear, less magnets and more pins. But we’ll have to see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

Lessons learned;
1.) the resisting force required to hold the press mount down is not equally distributed, therefore you need a lot more force at the rear of the press mount than the front. Use a big magnet here.
2.) the smaller magnets at the corners help with positioning the mount.
3.) if I had to do it again? I would use the 500lb mags at the rear as shown then stronger (50-100lb) mags at the corners, instead of the 16lb I used.

It is functional as is, however I am going to beef up the front row of 16 lb mags since I detect just the faintest bit of wobble when I set primers, trying to lift the front end of the press mount.

Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

321FLSurfer wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 pm
sikacz wrote:You mentioned the press is easily moved off by lateral movement?
“Easily” is relative, but yes, even with the 500# it is still reasonably easy to slide it off and on the mag mounts.

But not so easily to accidentally move it?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

321FLSurfer wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 pm No chance of accidentally moving it, no. The amount of horizontal force required to move a press (the Dillon or the RCBS) into or out of position, is only a bit less that the amount of force that moves the whole bench.

Very good.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.