Re: Sight visibility

lurker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:19 am i routinely do that with pistols when thy first come to me, but rifles? worth a shot, i suppose.
I haven't tried a rifle yet either. I've done this to the two k-frames and this CZ. I don't see how it could hurt to put a dab on each front sightin the appropriate spot. This one was just getting so hard to see. I think it discolored over time.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The Cadet is the .22lr version of the CZ-75 auto pistol.

Did yours have a hole in the front sight? They sometimes collect grime in the hole and darken the paint. Otherwise that's a damn fine job of dabbing a round drop of paint right in the middle of that sight, Sikacz!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I have used this product. It is good but I can't say it is better than hobby paint or nail polish. However I have not tried the luminescent version of it.

http://www.brightsights.com/coatings.php
Reviewers on Midway gave it 2.3 of 5 stars.

Other have recommended this. I have not tried it.
http://siteglo.com/

The best for me has been to replace the site with a fiber optic sight.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Bisbee wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am The Cadet is the .22lr version of the CZ-75 auto pistol.

Did yours have a hole in the front sight? They sometimes collect grime in the hole and darken the paint. Otherwise that's a damn fine job of dabbing a round drop of paint right in the middle of that sight, Sikacz!
Yes. It is.
There's a small round depression. I cleaned it a bit with alcohol and then used a metal pick to dip into the nail polish. Just one blob and set it in the middle of the indentation.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_5841.JPG

Operators•Performance•Industries.
Yeah, I hear O•P•I makes really good stuff.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:55 amThe polish.
Ya, the guy can come out of da nort, but snow has a way of sneaking back in, eh? ;)

[I need to find a book. One of the rifle marksmanship guys talks about painting the front sight and scratching a diagonal line through the white/yellow/orange. Maybe it helps with the way light makes the front post look narrower sometimes?]

Hiker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:28 am I have used this product. It is good but I can't say it is better than hobby paint or nail polish. However I have not tried the luminescent version of it.

http://www.brightsights.com/coatings.php
Reviewers on Midway gave it 2.3 of 5 stars.

Other have recommended this. I have not tried it.
http://siteglo.com/

The best for me has been to replace the site with a fiber optic sight.
Those look good! I'll keep them in mind.

lurker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 pm i keep hoping that wabatuckian will work his magic for garands and ARs. but so far no luck.
is it just me, or are there only 6 posts in "trading post"?
Only six or so...

lurker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 pm is it just me, or are there only 6 posts in "trading post"?
There was a recent change so that ads 'self destructed' after some amount of time if not bumped.
AndyH wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 pm [I need to find a book. One of the rifle marksmanship guys talks about painting the front sight and scratching a diagonal line through the white/yellow/orange. Maybe it helps with the way light makes the front post look narrower sometimes?]
Not about visibility per se, but about focus.

Jim Owens' Sight Alignment Trigger Control and the Big Lie
https://www.amazon.com/Sight-Alignment- ... 1939812674
He paints the post yellow, and then uses a safety pin to make a scratch from lower left to upper right - somewhere near the top of the post.
The scratch in the paint now acts as a fingerprint. If you are focused on this scratch, you CANNOT be focused on the target.
7th edition, pages 28-32