Pine tar mix, y'all knew this was coming!

Okay, y'all knew this was coming! I want to make my own Finnish pine tar mix. I bought this.
https://www.woodenboatstore.com/product ... gKz5fD_BwE
Tips appreciated.
The plan is 1/3 purified bee's wax, 1/3 pine tar and a 1/3 turpentine. That is supposedly an old Finn mix. This old yank Finn is going to find out.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Pine tar mix, y'all knew this was coming!

sikacz wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:48 pm Okay, y'all knew this was coming! I want to make my own Finnish pine tar mix. I bought this.

The plan is 1/3 purified bee's wax, 1/3 pine tar and a 1/3 turpentine. That is supposedly an old Finn mix. This old yank Finn is going to find out.
I love this kind of thing. I had some bare wood doors in my house and wanted a more natural finish. I also wanted to avoid petro chemicals where ever possible. So no commercial boiled linseed oil or japan drier for me. I used pure bees way and raw linseed oil (organic flax seed oil from my natural foods co-op), a little cedar oil, and a little turpentine. It worked great.

So far I have resisted the urge to refinish any rifle stock. But you never know what the future holds.

I hope you will post photos of your project.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

AndyH wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:28 am
CDFingers wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 pm
sikacz wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm
This pretty easy to make and I love the scent.
I usually dab a bit behind my ear to let my wife know I'm in the mood. :laugh:

CDFingers
Is little behind one ear and some Hoppes behind the other considered the 'nuclear option'? :lol:
Yep, sounds perfect! :beer2:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Here's a few test pieces of birch plywood. I have two mixes a mix that is the 1/3 mix and then one with a bit more turpentine, it's a left over and cleaning up the leavings mix. These pieces are mainly with the cleaning up leavings mix which is probably a good base coat.

Attachments
IMG_6355.JPG
IMG_6357.JPG

CDFingers wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm It's as if the contrast knob has been turned to 11. I love that feature of the tars.

My next raw wood rifle project is for a Mosin action. I may buy actual birch tar from Finland for it.

CDFingers
I was reading that tar production almost disappeared from Finland due to EU efforts to ban production. I think they managed to stop that effort based on tar production being a part of Finnish cultural and history since the Middle Ages. I did read that most of the Finnish tar production at this time goes to waterproofing wooden church roof shingles.

And this.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ancient-ch ... n-finland/
"piece of Neolithic gum was found among artifacts, like dishes and jewelry, in a Stone Age village at the Kierikki Stone Age Center. "It's somewhere between 5,500 and 6,000 years old," he said."