M1 Garand gas plug issue.

I took my M1 Garand for a second outing at our Texas shoot meet. I had two issues after my first time out. On the first it started to dump, eject all the rounds after a few shots. That was fixed by replacing the clip latch spring. The second issue was that the gas plug would back out enough that the front sight would be loose, wiggle. I thought I had tightened it enough, but apparently not. Thoughts on a fix appreciated.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_6602.JPG

Re: M1 Garand gas plug issue.

shinzen wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 pm You using a torque wrench or just tightening by hand to where you think it should be? 15lbs is the standard I believe.
By hand with a gas plug tool as shown in the picture. I'm sure I was over 15lbs. Not sure what I can use to put on my torque wrench to fit the plug. Also the lug tool is no as marr free as advertised. I put some muscle into it last night, but I'm skeptical.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I've always just gone with wrench it on till I'm sure, but as with anything, our versions of that could be very different. Haven't had an issue with mine coming loose. Also not using any grease on the threads or anything.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:21 pm I've always just gone with wrench it on till I'm sure, but as with anything, our versions of that could be very different. Haven't had an issue with mine coming loose. Also not using any grease on the threads or anything.
I don't believe I put any grease or oil on it. Can't say that it was degreased very well or not.

shinzen wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm Yep, mine looks just like that. Try the 1/4" driver, should slip right in.

20181002_104513.jpg
You said you didn't use any other tool? How did you restrain the collar during torquing? I'm going to degrease the threads and try with 1/4" and a torque wrench. I think I'll peen the sight groove a bit too. Thanks.

How did the Garand run today, sikacz?

I learned tonight that in spite of the instructions, the Garand Gear gas plug can't be installed with a 1/4 inch extension. It measures 0.245" and my old Craftsmen 1/4" drive stuff is closer to 0.255". I'll have to either 'adjust' one of my extensions or get an el-cheapo extension and have it visit the grinder.

This issue seems under control. I replaced the plug with a cleaner one. Cleaned all threads and torqued it to 15ft/lbs. Also peened the spline groove edges top and the bottom inner edges.

Attachments
2B980314-7462-465F-A6E8-395379C9FFF0.jpeg
692368B0-152C-4F22-8E08-C821657A2EBE.jpeg