Happy winter

We're getting rain, which is great. Full moon along with the solstice. Pretty cool.

I have little rituals. You've seen my equinox egg pics. I have a solstice ritual also, which is to jump over a candle, east to west, on the longest night of the year. Did it last night. It grew from jumping over a bonfire on midwinter's night in my hedonist, younger times. Similar in summer.

Those things, and tapping magazines on the table before I slip them in, help me keep in touch with what's real.

Anyone have something you do that helps you keep in touch with actual reality?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Happy winter

CDFingers wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 am Anyone have something you do that helps you keep in touch with actual reality?
CDFingers
Go to work everyday?

Hugging my wife and daughter keeps me in touch with what's real. Just about everything else is either illusion, delusion or unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Glad for the rain. Never know what winter will bring anymore.

Good weather for shooting & outdoor work.
Mama can break out the sexy fur boots.
Cars don't overheat.
This month brings terpene olfactory overload (a good thing).
Playing Tuba Christmas is lotsa' fun.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

S u b R o s a
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

The days start getting longer until we hit the summer solstice on June 21st. Perpetual summer would be boring, a variety is nicer. Reminds me of a line by Jean Simmons when she opened the drapes on another sunny Kenya morning, "Another fucking beautiful day!" (film White Mischief).
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We had a large pile of brush and scrap lumber piled up for a large bonfire last night. We don't have enough snow on the ground to safely ignite it so we had to make due with a fire in our fire pit.

Doing something creative has always worked for me, whether it is cooking or fabricating something useful out of leather or steel it keeps me away from the bottle, and that makes me much more huggable

to my family. Hey we get one more second of daylight today. They days are getting longer, "god jul".

Getting lighter now rather than darker. Solstice makes me feel my age, in a good way. I remember in my 20s when six months from now was the infinite future. Now I can hold the whole cycle from dark to light to dark in my head. Every year the swing grows smaller in the perspective of my life. Every year I grasp more of the universe at once.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped to notice the moment we started tipping back towards the sun. Today I am celebrating more traditionally, by cleaning to ready my little piece of the world for the coming light and the not-so far off busyness of summer.

Yeah, Marlene. The days are getting longer. It has yet to frost up here. Usually the middle two weeks of Jan are the coldest.

In these days of unexpected strangeness, these little rituals for me help anchor me in the real world. The movements of the planets and so on are far removed from the daily foibles of every day life, and watching them in the long game helps me keep perspective.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

So we went South for the break, and took our cold weather with us!

Here we are, in the Bahamas, and last night it went down to 50. Luckily, last summer, in the blistering heat, I installed a heat strip in our A/C system so we can keep it reasonably comfortable while we are here. Usually, even this time of year, we maybe have one day where you need a sweater. Still, we love being here nonetheless!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."