Early February: Garden

Second new moon after the solstice. Gung hay fat choy.
Still a bit cold to plant: we got a dusting of snow yesterday morning early that lasted about two hours. Kids disappointed no snow day, as it melted before school started.

Turns out that rice straw totally expands when unbundled and rained on. I have a ten by ten garden, and one bale likely mulches a ten by twenty garden easy. So it appears I have some extra mulch to spread around the back yard. There by those two galvanized pipes I'll put a grid for peas, and I'll spread the remaining mulch apart to plant the starts.

P1010379.JPG

I used a pitchfork to turn over the garden after I put the compost on. You might can see a little well there in the rice straw. There's a sprinkler head down there. I think I'll end up hand watering anyhow.

Chard (3 varieties), basil, cilantro, sage, and rosemary for sure. Peas to start, then maybe beans. I want to pack the peas in there, as the soil is rich.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Early February: Garden

eelj wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm My early Feb garden looks a little different than it did at the end of Jan, it has more snow on it, about a foot more.
Well, we just had a huge blizzard, after which you could barely see the grass poking through. We get snow about every ten or fifteen years. We're really lucky now in that we're getting quite a bit of rain.

Still not going to plant, though. Might do some indoor snow pea starts for later.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack