Early March Garden

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Early March Garden

Post by CDFingers »

I had some trouble with my SD card, so I missed posting about what I did in late Feb. This was to plant peas. Now, recall that I'm along the 40th parallel in northern California, in zones 7-9 according to the Sunset Western Garden Book (SWGB).

I burrowed down into the rice straw mulch and opened little cones, where I put the Oregon Sugar peas. This variety was recommended by a local nursery, where I got these half dozen starts. It's also SWGB zoned correctly.

P1010002.JPG

I put tomato cages over them--Oregon Sugar is a bush variety rather than a climbing variety. So in 30 to 50 days I should harvest some peas. Visualize whirled peas.

P1010003.JPG

I've got room for other herbs and so on, but I wanted to get these peas workin'. This rice straw won't be useful until it gets hot, so it will be in the way for a few more months. Then it earns its keep.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Early March Garden

Post by highdesert »

Some little guys coming up, nothing like fresh home grown produce. We always used straw to protect plants against frost during the winter.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Early March Garden

Post by eelj »

My back is bad enough that I don't plan on having anything on ground level this year. I have a line on a bunch of old tractor tires that I will be able to modify into a series of raised beds that will make tending the garden enjoyable again. I like the tomato cage idea for bush peas, looks like a good use for them. I never liked those wire cages for tomatos but for bush peas that should work great.