Re: Getting through this moment

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm
wooglin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm
The last thing I need is more cast iron. That said, pics?
Guessing I've got about 150-200 Lbs of CI. Best loaf pans ever - better than my SS loaf pans and makes better looking bread.Lodge Combo_Pizza Pan.jpg

The Dutch Oven portion of combo unit is about 1/3 the weight of lid/skillet which surprised me - total about 12 lbs.. The pizza plate is about 10 or so lbs. approx. 5/16" thickness.
Need to look into that pizza plate for sure.

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm .................................. snip......................... But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
My version of San Francisco Sourdough Loaf just out of the oven. Couldn't wait for cool down, smelled so good - and was, slathered with butter. The purple cutting board is 11" length for reference. Neighbors Mom will have to settle for three loaves. :)
sourdough baggy_1.jpg
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:38 pm
Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm .................................. snip......................... But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
My version of San Francisco Sourdough Loaf just out of the oven. Couldn't wait for cool down, smelled so good - and was, slathered with butter. The purple cutting board is 11" length for reference. Neighbors Mom will have to settle for three loaves. :)

sourdough baggy_1.jpg
:clap: Now I'm hungry for Boudin's Sourdough, but I'm not going to drive to Orange County to get some. My downfall, good sourdough bread.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:39 am Misc maintenance...
I'm fascinated: Not seen too many motorcycles with right-hand chain drives. Most I've seen were lefties, including my 1971 Suzuki T250 (in pieces in my shed), my 1981 Yamaha XS400 (sold, for a profit), and my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Down in my Bahamas house--haven't seen it since January). The 3 shafties I've had were all left-side Yamahas.

Harley-Davidson seems to have made both, right and left side drives. No idea why--not a Harley guy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:39 am Misc maintenance...
I'm fascinated: Not seen too many motorcycles with right-hand chain drives. Most I've seen were lefties, including my 1971 Suzuki T250 (in pieces in my shed), my 1981 Yamaha XS400 (sold, for a profit), and my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Down in my Bahamas house--haven't seen it since January). The 3 shafties I've had were all left-side Yamahas.

Harley-Davidson seems to have made both, right and left side drives. No idea why--not a Harley guy.
It’s a 2005 Triumph Thruxton, essentially a Bonneville variant.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Got too late last night, so making my first pizza on Lodge pizza plate for breakfast. Got all the ingredients together yesterday - home made marinara, moz cheese, Italian hot sausage, onions. Will top with anchovies after cooking. It smells good, but kinda ugly - my first in many years. Pic to be added if not too embarrassing !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:16 am Got too late last night, so making my first pizza on Lodge pizza plate for breakfast. Got all the ingredients together yesterday - home made marinara, moz cheese, Italian hot sausage, onions. Will top with anchovies after cooking. It smells good, but kinda ugly - my first in many years. Pic to be added if not too embarrassing !!
The one I posted is my fourth try in 4 weeks. Have a 15" round pizza stone I just bought. 16" won't fit in the oven. This will fit in the grill as well.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Pizza in October.jpg
Flavor is great. Not crazy about the non-yeast crust I made (baking powder) as it's more like cake than pizza dough. Next one will be either yeast and/or sourddough crust. Used too much moz cheese, so will cut back on that, and not enough Italian sausage or pepperoni. Must slice and place with wedge pie spatula on plate - not able to hand eat. Ran out of anchovies with just three pizza slices. Store was out of stock when last shopped.

So, not too embarrassing for first shot in years.

I also ordered a wooden/bamboo pizza paddle/slide from Amazon last night - should be delivered Nov. 1. That will allow building pizza on paddle, then slide onto preheated Lodge CI pizza plate in oven and easily remove pizza when done. The CI plate is awkward to handle hot and heavy.

Yeah, one of the things that non-NY/NJ pizza makers do is use too little sauce, basil and oregano, and too much mozzarella. Frozen pizza frequently has the same problem.

I'm going to try a sourdough crust tonight, and I'm going to use the grill to get over 500 degrees. My stone came with a nearly useless tiny bamboo peel so I bought a much bigger one from Amazon, a 15" one, and that really helps.

Having to spend some time convincing Jake the Boxer that he will be fed today, albeit one hour later (7 AM is the magic hour). So far, he's not having it and getting a bit pushy. I'm getting the Boxer evil eye as I sit at keyboard along with an occasional whine as he sits in kitchen doorway.

Wino wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:03 am Having to spend some time convincing Jake the Boxer that he will be fed today, albeit one hour later (7 AM is the magic hour). So far, he's not having it and getting a bit pushy. I'm getting the Boxer evil eye as I sit at keyboard along with an occasional whine as he sits in kitchen doorway.
Yup; two cats whose tummy clocks did not get reset. At 5:00 AM I found myself directly in the path of a two cat race track.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Jake and I spent the day watching Tom Selleck "Jesse Stone" series (all nine episodes). Will finish up today. Then think we'll move to "Lonesome Dove". I've quit football and politics due to turd exhausting me these past four years. Wish I could go to sleep and wake up Nov. 6 to find our dystopian life has come to an end, but alas, I fear it's just going to get worse. After "lonesome" I may just watch all 22 years of "Midsomer Murders", again. Our nation has turned into a monstrous cluster fuck !!

When you're in NJ, and don't live near Philly, football is insanely painful this year. Combined, the Giants and the Jets are 1-12, and possibly 1-13 by night's end (Giants are on MNF). Jets are 0-7 and naturally are trading away their best players, 2 on defense, 1 running back. I watched yesterday's game only to see a gadget play cost the Jets nearly 10 yards.

I've been so desperate for distractions I'm actually watching The Mandolorian, which is about as dumbed-down and two-dimensional as the "Star Wars" universe can get, aka "Disney takes over from George Lucas". However, I did enjoy "The Queen's Gambit" and am sorry it was only 7 episodes. The character reminds me vaguely of the young Bobby Fischer, who was about that age. My cousin was the same age as Fischer and knew him after Fischer's family moved to Brooklyn in 1950. Apparently, he drove my uncle nuts with his constant fidgeting (my uncle had MS)...Obviously, Fischer's mental illness eventually took him to some horrible places, where he became a virulently anti-Semitic self-hating Jew.

I also enjoyed "Unorthodox" and WISH that "The Expanse" S5 would drop now instead of next month.

The obvious violent fascism is even reaching the Blue states of NJ and NY, where yesterday, the "Trump Train" deliberately shut down the Garden State Parkway and the Mario Cuomo, aka the Tappan Zee Bridge. Obviously this won't gain Trump votes but the object clearly is to make voting for Biden more difficult and treacherous. So while I'm trying to avoid it when I can, it continues to poison everything.

Getting out and turning off all political media. Watching stuff I'd never watch in normal times, but since the pandemic times haven't been normal. When I was out yesterday I was listening to Premier League football, the real stuff not America's gridiron football. Listened to yesterday's game between Man U v Arsenal - two great teams which my favorite Arsenal won.

Arsenal started as a team of workers at the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich. The Royal Arsenal is no more, but Arsenal Football Club is one of the greats known by it's nickname "The Gunners". Their home is Emirates Stadium in north London and at the front of Emirates Stadium are the guns.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan