Re: Getting through this moment

Oh dang! That is f’n beautiful. Having lived in Japan where everyone gets stinking drunk under the cherry blooms each year (except this one due to stay at home orders), I highly suggest that you and your wife open a bottle of white wine or sake and have a “Hana-mi” picnic under that cherry tree this year.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Woke up to some freshly baked Bimini Bread this morning, I fell asleep last night before it was done but man is it delicious. If you've never had Bimini Bread, it's bread made with coconut milk and it is and absolute delight. Got the recipe from a friend in the islands, and I'd say my wife did a pretty great job at her first attempt at baking bread :)

I’d like to bake that recipe wearing just speedos. And a cooking apron of course. Safety first.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

One of my favorite meals of all time, anywhere in the world is Bahamian lobster salad, so simple yet so delicious. Steamed lobster chilled then chopped and combined with chopped tomatoes and sweet onions, a whole crap ton of fresh squeezed lime and goat pepper (not ghost pepper) sauce to taste. I'd eat this every day if I could, and right now it's a little taste of some of my most vivid memories.

Dang. Photos that scrumptious looking should be illegal. I’m complaining.

Wino wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:55 am Recipe ?? I need a project today. :thankyou: I down loaded a couple off net but they differ.
Bimini bread recipe:

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dry milk powder
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 1/2 tbsp soft butter
1 1/2 tbso veg. oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup shredded coconut

-Preheat oven to 350f
-Sift together flour, sugar, salt, dry milk powder in large bowl
-Add dry yeast and mix well
-Once mixed, make a well in the mixture and add 1 beaten whole egg and 1 egg white, softened butter, and veg. oil, mix well
-Add coconut milk and shredded coconut, mix again
-Kneed for 20 minutes on cutting board w/flour until dough is stretchy
-Roll into ball and place into a greased bowl
-Cover bowl with a warm, damp towel and leave in a warm place
-Let rise to double size, usually about 1 hour depending on temp
-Punch down dough and kneed again for 10 more minutes
-Place dough in greased bread pan and brush with egg wash
-Bake for 35 minutes until top is brown
-Serve warm! Butter if you want

rockhound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 pm Damn, that salad looks good! I started some hybrid Bahamian Goat x Yellow Congo seeds in March, now I just need to figure out how to get some lobster seeds to germinate...
Yeah let me know if you figure that one out...

By the way, how'd you hear about goat peppers? Most people don't even know they're a thing and they're one of my favorite peppers ever.

kronkmusic wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 pm
rockhound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 pm Damn, that salad looks good! I started some hybrid Bahamian Goat x Yellow Congo seeds in March, now I just need to figure out how to get some lobster seeds to germinate...

By the way, how'd you hear about goat peppers? Most people don't even know they're a thing and they're one of my favorite peppers ever.
It was mostly accidental. Back in January the S.O. and I were looking for a couple of new varieties to add to the flock this year and she and I really like Lemon Habaneros. I started out looking for Yellow Congo seeds and found a vendor in Canada that had the Yellow Congo/Goat hybrid.

They also had a Chiltepin/Aji Limon hybrid (we're big fans of both) so we decided to order from them. We've had a really good germination rate on both seed packets, though we won't know until autumn (at the earliest) how the hybrids turn out. Because of the early winters in MN, we do container gardening with the peppers so we can overwinter the plants indoors.

rockhound wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 pm

It was mostly accidental. Back in January the S.O. and I were looking for a couple of new varieties to add to the flock this year and she and I really like Lemon Habaneros. I started out looking for Yellow Congo seeds and found a vendor in Canada that had the Yellow Congo/Goat hybrid.

They also had a Chiltepin/Aji Limon hybrid (we're big fans of both) so we decided to order from them. We've had a really good germination rate on both seed packets, though we won't know until autumn (at the earliest) how the hybrids turn out. Because of the early winters in MN, we do container gardening with the peppers so we can overwinter the plants indoors.
Nice! Good luck with your goat pepper hybrids, goat peppers are delicious! Think of a sweeter, more flavorful scotch bonnet but with all the same heat. Curious to know what the hybrids are like.

Mostly I'm in good spirits, or in reasonably good spirits. But the more things get worse, the more the sick bastard in the WH revels in them and finds more and more ways to hurt "regular folks" and focuses on HIMSELF and getting re-elected. I know we're all seeing this and being disgusted (except maybe one or two) and outraged. And it's going to get far worse before it gets better.

Today is a rare day that I am down, struggling a bit. For the first time in 6 weeks, it's gotten to me. We've had a lot of grim, chilly, overcast and windy/rainy days so I can't get some outside work done for weeks on end. Yet today, after weeks of trying to find a local of groceries, going on-line for stuff packed in dry ice, I got an InstaCart delivery slot from the local Wegmans (a store I've never been to). My wife's job is more than safe, it's secure so we're financially more secure than most. Plus, we got a delivery of Lou Malnati's Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, which we haven't had in 3 years (since our son graduated from NU).

Not sure what is the cause of being a bit down, but if it's nice tomorrow, i'll probably be better.

I also realize that sooner or later this panemic, and the total sick bullshit from that sadistic narcissistic shithead making things far worse every day is going to get to ANYONE, sooner or later. So I guess today is my day....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

i'm having the same sort of issues. beautiful day, nobody i know personally is sick but a sense of as yet slow distant impending doom and the people who are supposed to fix it are making things worse instead of better. count your blessings wherever you can find them.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?