Getting through this moment

Hey y'all, we are in a trying moment. It's real easy to get tied up in discussion and speculation about what's coming next or how horrible the current moment is.

Remember to take breaks. Remember to walk around.

I definitely need less of that kind of shit.

This post is mostly to remind you that you can go to the user control panel and then usergroups and then you can add yourself to the group "I prefer not to play". It limits you to the gun and club areas of the forum and out of the general and political areas.

I just put myself back in that group and I'm already feeling better.

I'm also already living under a "shelter in place" order, as I expect more of us will be (or really already should be) living in isolation to some degree. I'm also ramping up my personal project pile.

I got the casting stuff from my neighbor (we co-own a bunch of equipment) who works in an industry that has been deemed critical, so he's still going to work. I'll probably post about that. I have a mold for a bullet I've never used before, which I'm excited about. I'll give it its own thread.

Shinzen and I started a conversation this morning about some online discussion/teaching sessions, so that might be a thing that develops.

This all really sucks and you should give yourself room to do the fun things you can and also room to feel the feelings. Please do not drag details of current developments in here. Leave people a choice about being immersed in that.

How you doin'?

Re: Getting through this moment

Gardening is one thing I'm digging, as it were. Just tonight we had pasta with pesto sauce supplemented by chard and parsley from the garden. Tasty. Up here, in this county, we grow rice, beans, corn, squash, almonds, and walnuts. I think I've got about four weeks until my peas come in. I'll plant beans two weeks before that and use the same trellis after we scarf all the snow peas.

I also have some reloading projects, after I clean out the winter flotsam and jetsam left over from the cold times.

Finally, we have a basement. There are boxes down there we put when we moved in in 1992. Total dread at what we'll find. We're going to clean out the nest. Is our plan. If we don't strangle each other first. :lol:

We're old, so hangin' out seems natural. Just talked to our son from Livermore and he and his wife have always been out all the time, so they're discovering I suppose certain things, eh.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

i spent the day at the range with another member. my shooting was meh, but the polytech is on paper at 50 yards after replacing both sights. i got tired, so next time i'll take it out to 100yds. while i went up to the pistol bench i loaned my spotting scope to two ladies shooting an AR. i did much better with pistol, which is unusual, and when i stopped to get my scope on the way out, gave the ladies a pair of LGC stickers. hearts and minds, one at a time.

go out and get some fresh air and sunshine, chat up a stranger, maintain your bubble.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I have a CGW pro carry kit sitting out waiting for me to attempt installing it in my sp01. I have a shit ton of weeds that need a tugging. I have a hallway torn down to subflooring that needs some vinyl plank flooring put down. Yesterday, I started working from home and had to build a desk to faciltate it and am fortunate enough to have a month or so of work in the pipeline before I have to really start puckering on that front.

Most importantly, I have a loving, inquisitive, intelligent wife and a wonderful daughter. I have a dog and a cat. As long as the family is healthy, none of the rest matters.

Thanks, Marlene and everyone else here.

Sheltering in place here, and trying to persuade my 94 year old mother to do the same. :) She goes shopping for entertainment and lives just around the corner...

Plenty to do, if not out in the yard or riding a bike (slowly, but the wheels go round) I can be found designing comfy boats to calm the mind. This one is Prudence, and if I ever find a client for her, I'll have one for myself at the same time. Designing quiet comfy boats is soothing. :D

In the meantime, I have a lovely wife, a friendly dog, and grandkids to Skype. Peace.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
Prudence-198A_resize.jpg

SailDesign wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm She goes shopping for entertainment
i do that. i live within sight/walking distance of a grocery store. i can see it now, looking out my window. bright, shiny, full of food and pleasant people. bakery and deli. i could get up a list, be efficient, go once a week, but why?

I have been walking the dogs more and farther, trying different holsters out, and cleaning guns. It was 80 today and high pollen, so staying inside was a good idea except with dogs.

One of the old dogs still likes to run 1/4 mile or so, so that is fun. Here is a picture of her from 9 years ago:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
dogs_2326a.jpg
aurora_2331.jpg

I'm trying to get out and hike at least 2-3 times a week. The Shelter In Place orders for the Bay Area counties explicitly allow (encourage?) getting out in nature, as long as distance from other people is observed.

I'm wondering whether some of the outdoor ranges might find a way to responsibly stay open, maybe by throttling the number of people so space can be preserved.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:00 am I'm trying to get out and hike at least 2-3 times a week. The Shelter In Place orders for the Bay Area counties explicitly allow (encourage?) getting out in nature, as long as distance from other people is observed.

I'm wondering whether some of the outdoor ranges might find a way to responsibly stay open, maybe by throttling the number of people so space can be preserved.
My private range is kind of open for members only, and certain types of shooting (trap), as long as we are allowed to legally be out. Sadly, shotgun is one of those things I don't reload for, and I also don't have a surplus of ammo for it that is suitable for such things.

Distraction is good. We need it right now.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

highdesert wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 am The whole state of CA is under a stay at home order signed by Newsom. It's no longer just the Bay Area and LA.
https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf

The 16 critical infrastructure sectors referenced in his executive order from DHS.
https://www.cisa.gov/critical-infrastructure-sectors

c'mon man, have a heart
Marlene wrote: This all really sucks and you should give yourself room to do the fun things you can and also room to feel the feelings. Please do not drag details of current developments in here. Leave people a choice about being immersed in that.

Awesome pic, Eris!

We are working from home here, too. Weird, isn't it?

SO NICE to be at home with the dogs all day, though. I am not sure I ever want to work in the office again. Any office.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Great pic of the family Eris, my sister would love it she's a cat fanatic.

Walking and hiking I do it every day if I can, the weather's been bad here lately. My legs usually nag me that they need a walk, plus it clears my head and staying at home and talking food is not good for me.

LA Times had this:
Cooped up, bored and on a budget? Here’s how to stream TV without paying a dime
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... rial-deals

If you can't get through to the site let me know and I'll copy and paste it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Marlene wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:18 pm
I got the casting stuff from my neighbor (we co-own a bunch of equipment) who works in an industry that has been deemed critical, so he's still going to work. I'll probably post about that. I have a mold for a bullet I've never used before, which I'm excited about. I'll give it its own thread.
I'd be super interested in that thread, I've been sorely tempted by bullet casting since I got your Martini and moreso now that I got a trapdoor.

I'm expecting a shelter in place soon up here in Portland, which is hard because I worked from home before this happened in a company that does online collaboration tools so work continues but without any of my normal decompression of eating out or visiting with friends on the weekends. Its all vacation and hobbies for my spouse but it really feels like a cage for me.

I might try and get out to the range for 'exercise' if I'm permitted to by the state, otherwise I guess I'll set up the progressive press and see if I can't order up some 9mm and 5.56 and load in the garage with the door open.

Got away from everything tonight by essentially rebuilding the electrical junction box from hell to add another GFCI outlet in the master bathroom. This thing had been retrofitted more than once and it was pretty obvious that the last guy who worked on it ended the job by saying "fuck it, it's good enough." My fingers are sore as can be, but it was good to be productive around the house and and let some frustration out on that horrible cobweb of wires and electrical tape. I definitely feel better now :)

That's an awesome photo,. Eris! My home office cat has been sleeping on the bed wile I work. It's really nice, even if I'm a bit jealous.

@K9, yeah, I've never had the option to work from home before. It's really nice so far. I can roll out of bed, stumble downstairs to the coffee pot, listen to it gurgle while catching up here, stumble back upstairs with the morning nectar and be to work by 6:00. Had lunch with my family yesterday and was done by 3:00. It gives me like 3 extra hours of my life back. I'm hoping it's a new cultural norm that sticks.

Cat on lap as I type. Seems I'm the bed and the guy who can open cat food. If I get up to get more coffee, Cleo looks at me with the most sad look. Cats sleep a lot. Miss my dog, though. Maybe next year another doggo.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

we have a cat who thinks that if i'm stroking the keyboard i should be stroking him instead. he is not transparent, so errors abound.
featureless wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 am I'm hoping it's a new cultural norm that sticks.
me too, think of the effect on oil prices if working from home became more normal. but beware - they will try to intrude into and absorb more and more of your life. just another couple of minutes lather rinse repeat. been there, done that.

If work from home and tele education and online shopping and delivery services actually turn out to work ...

think of the Real Estate.

Think of all the empty sky scrapers in Manhattan?

Think of all the empty schools?

I see much of what is currently happening as a dress rehearsal for three or four years from now when ubiquitous communication really becomes available.

The key threat is planning on mitigating the changes in what jobs will really be available in the second half of the 2020s and 2030s. There is no reason with true high speed communication and intelligent self testing machines that even the heavy industries could not operate with just a very minimal onsite staff. Ubiquitous Communication, 5G as the first step, will have a big an impact on what is done where as the British Canal systems had.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Hey y'all. Well life in Kentucky is pretty good under the circumstance. I have some money in the bank, cash at home and kale started in a window box. Garden seeds are ready to sow around the last of April. And the fridge, freezer, and pantry are stocked.
My food preps are not as good as I would like, but I have at least a month's worth and maybe more. My yard will be full of dandelions in a month or so. I have a 200 gallon seamless, food grade stainless steel rainwater catchment tank. After last nights rain that sucker is full!!!
The best thing I have is young neighbors. We've all talked and we are going to look out for each other. Since I am high risk because of age and some other things, they call me whenever they go to the grocery and offer to pick up stuff for me. I some homesteading skills with them.
Things that I don't have that I would really like to have: a sweetheart, a lap cat or goofy dog, being 30 years younger.
Last edited by Hiker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle