Getting through this moment

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Getting through this moment

Post by CDFingers »

I have my own archery range. Wish I had a firearms range like yours. Nice. Watch the spaces between the logs for pass throughs.

CDFingers
ImageImage
You arrest the girls for turnin' tricks
but you won't touch Stagger Lee

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

DavidS that's awesome!

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Lucky DavidS, I wish I could do that!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Oooh!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

Marlene wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 pm
Oooh!
we may not be very cosmopolitan out here in the sticks, (and some of us like it that way) but there are certain compelling benefits.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

what exactly does cosmopolitan mean in this context?

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

My guess is it means "lacking backyard woods into which we may shoot firearms."

CDFingers
ImageImage

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

CDFingers wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 pm
My guess is it means "lacking backyard woods into which we may shoot firearms."
close enough. but i suppose the question deserves a serious answer. cosmopolitan means interested in diversity with respect to art, literature, science, culture, race, religion, modernity.

*full disclosure: i live in small town, but aspire to live out in the sticks. i appreciate peace and quiet and nature, and frankly find people in general something of a bore, if not an out-and-out bother. there are exceptions.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

I am sure David will invite us all over, now, won't he? After all the lockdowns, of course.

(I need to sight in a rifle, man!)
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

DavidS
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by DavidS »

K9s wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43 pm
I am sure David will invite us all over, now, won't he? After all the lockdowns, of course.

Absolutely K9s. In fact, I'll wipe everything down and you can come sight that rifle in any time. Only at 25 meters though, or shorter.

I have some other neighbors who don't give a peep about making noise with their range. They go at it for hours, always on Sunday afternoons for some reason. Over three hours yesterday of very loud shooting. Lots of handguns and large caliber rifles I'm guessing. They spend a lot of money out there! Sometimes it seems they're just seeing how fast they can empty a magazine. It gets really annoying and is definitely on my mind when I'm shooting. For now I'm sticking to the Quiet .22. I bought a couple of cases and a lot of AQT targets while ammunition was still available! Still having trouble consistently hitting that simulated 400 yd stage. I need some expert instruction!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

DavidS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:28 am
K9s wrote:

Absolutely K9s. In fact, I'll wipe everything down and you can come sight that rifle in any time. Only at 25 meters though, or shorter.

I have some other neighbors who don't give a peep about making noise with their range. They go at it for hours, always on Sunday afternoons for some reason. Over three hours yesterday of very loud shooting. Lots of handguns and large caliber rifles I'm guessing. They spend a lot of money out there! Sometimes it seems they're just seeing how fast they can empty a magazine. It gets really annoying and is definitely on my mind when I'm shooting. For now I'm sticking to the Quiet .22. I bought a couple of cases and a lot of AQT targets while ammunition was still available! Still having trouble consistently hitting that simulated 400 yd stage. I need some expert instruction!
We actually have a police outdoor range about a half mile away that's in a valley and the sound echoes up. When they are going at it, it's almost as annoying as all the landscapers with their multiple backpack leaf blowers. And they train at all hours of the day even into early evening. Like your neighbors, sometimes they just seem to be burning ammo. Not just handguns but a lot of rifles as well.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

Burning ammo is therapeutic.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

DavidS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:28 am
K9s wrote:

They may be hard of hearing, so they yell. Or, they could be from NY.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

I've been making my daughter go for a 45 minute walk with me every day. Between the stress and my wife's cooking comfort foods (did I mention we had chocolate mousse the last two nights?), there is a very real threat of coming out in May looking like a wolly mammoth. Walking helps both stress and fatness! Don't know what to do about the mane I'm growing...

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by geno »

I hadn't gotten a hair cut through the winter; just hadn't felt the need. Then at the start of March I didn't because of
Washington leading the way, case wise. I'm on track to have hair longer than its been in forty-five years.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

I've actually gone through two boxes of crap a day for about...three days. But good, eh.

We're some bit of pack rat in our ancestry, so there are boxes. Condensing, throwing out, giving to GW or SA.

Not quite as therapeutic as shooting up ammo, but in a pinch I'm OK with shooting later.

CDFingers
ImageImage

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Working from home, I need some tunes to stay focused (not go see what the family is talking about). Earbuds hurt after a bit, so got some over ear studios (audio-technica). Delightful. I'd forgotten how nice music is with good headphones. Testing with a little Bjork. Violently happy.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

SailDesign wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm
Sheltering in place here, and trying to persuade my 94 year old mother to do the same. :) She goes shopping for entertainment and lives just around the corner...

Plenty to do, if not out in the yard or riding a bike (slowly, but the wheels go round) I can be found designing comfy boats to calm the mind. This one is Prudence, and if I ever find a client for her, I'll have one for myself at the same time. Designing quiet comfy boats is soothing. :D

In the meantime, I have a lovely wife, a friendly dog, and grandkids to Skype. Peace.
I'm late to this thread, but the boat pics caught my eye.

Have you ever had anything to do with steam launches? That's kind of what these make me think of. Lovely.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 pm
SailDesign wrote:
Sheltering in place here, and trying to persuade my 94 year old mother to do the same. :) She goes shopping for entertainment and lives just around the corner...

Plenty to do, if not out in the yard or riding a bike (slowly, but the wheels go round) I can be found designing comfy boats to calm the mind. This one is Prudence, and if I ever find a client for her, I'll have one for myself at the same time. Designing quiet comfy boats is soothing. :D

In the meantime, I have a lovely wife, a friendly dog, and grandkids to Skype. Peace.

Have you ever had anything to do with steam launches? That's kind of what these make me think of. Lovely.
Nothing in genuine steam yet. The design challenges are very similar to any powered boat, but the space required for fuel and powerplant is way larger. I'll have to have a go at one soon. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

featureless wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm
Working from home, I need some tunes to stay focused (not go see what the family is talking about). Earbuds hurt after a bit, so got some over ear studios (audio-technica). Delightful. I'd forgotten how nice music is with good headphones. Testing with a little Bjork. Violently happy.
Army of Me, Featureless. Good test song.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Yes it is!

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Today I will finish the heavy lifting in my wife's craft room. Been waiting to get it done.

CDFingers
ImageImage

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

i'm moving my reloading gear from the main workbench to a dedicated bench in the corner of the shed. in theory, nothing but guns and ammo will happen there. this is how i hope to organize things in there: a bench and shelves for general woodworking, a wall for bike and mower and auto repair, and a corner for gun stuff. no actual guns will live in the shed, though they may visit occasionally. might have to get one of those fancy LGC mats. but first, i must finish building the bench. maybe this afternoon, after lunch and the nap that surely will follow. there will be pics in time.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

SailDesign wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm
bajajoaquin wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 pm
SailDesign wrote:

Nothing in genuine steam yet. The design challenges are very similar to any powered boat, but the space required for fuel and powerplant is way larger. I'll have to have a go at one soon. :)
Maybe 20 years ago there were a bunch of surplus Navy launches available locally. I talked to my step father about buying one to make a low-spead runabout. There were some steam engines available and we got a little ways into planning. But then reality set in, and I realized that I needed another hobby like a hole in the head, and we let it drop. Every now and then, though, I think to myself, "woulda been cool."

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

As if we didn't have enough on our plate - my SIL wrecked his Harley Sunday afternoon, colliding with another biker as they entered a curve when it swung into his lane. He was in ER until Monday, then admitted to hospital after sewing up left side leg from ankle to wrist. Road burn to the bone, fortunately nothing broken. Was to come home yesterday, but Doc's decided he needed more skin grafts and scheduled for this afternoon. No one can see him - not even my daughter due to the corona. I wouldn't go near a hospital myself what with my COPD and other aging ailments, so I'm not much help. Their son and his girl friend live with them, but he works at a golf course pro shop which he said is a disease unto itself and no protection, so I avoid him like the plague. I'm guessing I won't be seeing any of them anytime in the near future, even if I were to end up in a hospital.

Cross street neighbors wife was in hospital week before last with flu symptoms and no one was allowed in to see her, either. First day or two they allowed one visitor per day, then none, no matter the relationship.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo