Getting through this moment

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Getting through this moment

#701 Post by geno » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:20 pm

I guess it turned my pic sideways to save space, but there's two of Doggie "On the Job"
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#702 Post by Wino » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm

geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

This is my second white Boxer. Chance, may he RIP, did the same many years ago, except he weighed about 35 lbs. more than Jake. He went thru window glass, screen and all, killed the cat that was crossing on his caged in front porch. Fortunately, no dog damage then, either. I replaced both panes in that window with tempered glass. Plan on same with bedroom window. Did get a price from one company today - two tempered glass panes installed - $380 + tax these are 15" x 22.5" single panes . Think I may just have some panes cut to size and install myself or just buy another complete window with double pane if I can find one with tempered glass. Or maybe just leave the window boarded up and let my heirs worry about it! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
**As of Nov. 06, 2020 we have an impeached one term lame duck loser as president until Jan. 20, 2021

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

#703 Post by geno » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

This is my second white Boxer. Chance, may he RIP, did the same many years ago, except he weighed about 35 lbs. more than Jake. He went thru window glass, screen and all, killed the cat that was crossing on his caged in front porch. Fortunately, no dog damage then, either. I replaced both panes in that window with tempered glass. Plan on same with bedroom window. Did get a price from one company today - two tempered glass panes installed - $380 + tax these are 15" x 22.5" single panes . Think I may just have some panes cut to size and install myself or just buy another complete window with double pane if I can find one with tempered glass. Or maybe just leave the window boarded up and let my heirs worry about it! LOL
Not sure what type of window you have but double strength ( double thickness) might well be enough. I my case the window was a wooden double hung and I believe I fastened the plastic to the wooden sash with six or eight #6- 3/4" wood screws after replacing with the double strength glass. I'm not a big fan of tempered, which might as well have been called temperamental glass, I was once moving a piece 32'x 70", quite the rush to be holding about eighty lbs. of glass one moment and air the next. :oops2:
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

#704 Post by sig230 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#705 Post by CDFingers » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 am

The days of miracle and wonder: watched an archeology video about frozen Ice Age mammals like cave lion cubs, then clicked over to watch live another StarLink satellite cluster launch, first stage landing smoothly on a ship in the ocean again. I type and someone on the East Coast reads it. Carbon fiber button and carpet thread. Walking down the frozen food aisle and the lights turn on as you walk then turn off when you go by. Coffee from Ecuador.

Dang.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Wait until that Deal come 'round
then don't you let that Deal go down.
No, no.

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#706 Post by Wino » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am

sig230 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm...................................................Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
No iron bars on my windows. Have personally known two people that died in home fires they could not escape from because of burglar bars on windows.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
**As of Nov. 06, 2020 we have an impeached one term lame duck loser as president until Jan. 20, 2021

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

#707 Post by wings » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 am

CDFingers wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 am The days of miracle and wonder: watched an archeology video about frozen Ice Age mammals like cave lion cubs, then clicked over to watch live another StarLink satellite cluster launch, first stage landing smoothly on a ship in the ocean again. I type and someone on the East Coast reads it. Carbon fiber button and carpet thread. Walking down the frozen food aisle and the lights turn on as you walk then turn off when you go by. Coffee from Ecuador.

Dang.

CDFingers
Sure beats back in the day, when you had to carry your own torches through the frozen cave lion aisle, while the dire wolves howled in the shadows.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

#708 Post by sig230 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am

Wino wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am
sig230 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm...................................................Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
No iron bars on my windows. Have personally known two people that died in home fires they could not escape from because of burglar bars on windows.
Interior ones can be quick removal and still keep pets from trying to go through the glass.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#709 Post by lurker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm

i just suggested to another member in a different time zone that we needed to unwind together over a brew of our choice, so at 8pm eastern time (that's 7 for him) i'm going to pop open a woodchuck hard cider and relax. y'all are welcome to join us. :beer2:

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#710 Post by Wino » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm i just suggested to another member in a different time zone that we needed to unwind together over a brew of our choice, so at 8pm eastern time (that's 7 for him) i'm going to pop open a woodchuck hard cider and relax. y'all are welcome to join us. :beer2:
I'll join ya. But I'll probably start a bit earlier. 2.5" round Ice ball in Old Fashioned size glass - 3-4 oz. Rebecca Creek Texas Ranger 1823 Blended Whiskey. I really need an unwind!! :yikes:

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#711 Post by lurker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:26 pm

no harm in that.
if it works out maybe we should consider making it a regular thing, at least until the election.

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#712 Post by Wino » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.

wooglin
Been around awhile

#713 Post by wooglin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
The last thing I need is more cast iron. That said, pics?

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#714 Post by CDFingers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm i just suggested to another member in a different time zone that we needed to unwind together over a brew of our choice, so at 8pm eastern time (that's 7 for him) i'm going to pop open a woodchuck hard cider and relax. y'all are welcome to join us. :beer2:
I'll join ya. But I'll probably start a bit earlier. 2.5" round Ice ball in Old Fashioned size glass - 3-4 oz. Rebecca Creek Texas Ranger 1823 Blended Whiskey. I really need an unwind!! :yikes:
Popped a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA a few minutes ago. In California it's always beer o'clock.

CDFingers
ImageImage
No, no.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#715 Post by lurker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 pm

CDFingers wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:09 pm Popped a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA a few minutes ago. In California it's always beer o'clock.
CDFingers
i'll post a reminder in a while, unless i get caught up in some stupid political thing.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#716 Post by CDFingers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:25 pm

I shall await your prosit.

CDFingers
ImageImage
No, no.

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#717 Post by Wino » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm

wooglin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
The last thing I need is more cast iron. That said, pics?
Guessing I've got about 150-200 Lbs of CI. Best loaf pans ever - better than my SS loaf pans and makes better looking bread.
Lodge Combo_Pizza Pan.jpg
The Dutch Oven portion of combo unit is about 1/3 the weight of lid/skillet which surprised me - total about 12 lbs.. The pizza plate is about 10 or so lbs. approx. 5/16" thickness.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#718 Post by CDFingers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 pm

I have a Griswold No. 9 was my mom's dad's, who fought in WWI. You wanna talk 'seasoned'? Oh, yeah, a frying egg floats in there.

CDFingers
ImageImage
No, no.

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#719 Post by Wino » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:02 pm

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:26 pm no harm in that.
if it works out maybe we should consider making it a regular thing, at least until the election.
Lurker & Guest:

Salud!!

Just settled down.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#720 Post by sikacz » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm

E57D8DDD-DAE1-4E23-98CE-E3860666F3D2.jpeg
Kippis! A wasp and a cat!
Last edited by sikacz on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#721 Post by lurker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:05 pm

l'chaim!
LUGO2279.JPG

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#722 Post by CDFingers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 pm

prosit2.JPG
About three weeks to carving.

That's a pretty vicious cat there, sika.

CDFingers
ImageImage
No, no.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#723 Post by sikacz » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:55 pm

F9A836C8-3DFF-41C6-B40C-07BA974A55F0.jpeg
Bourbon tangerine napoleon...kippis. I may soon take a nap. LoL. Get unwound.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

#724 Post by wings » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Best plan I've heard all year, short of legally removing every elected and appointed official from the executive branch post-haste.

Started without ya on the cider. On to the whisky - a very nice Nikka.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#725 Post by sikacz » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 pm

wings wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm
Best plan I've heard all year, short of legally removing every elected and appointed official from the executive branch post-haste.

Started without ya on the cider. On to the whisky - a very nice Nikka.
Yes. This does sounds like the best plan yet! To y’all’s health!
ImageImage