Getting through this moment

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Getting through this moment

#776 Post by CDFingers » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:09 am

I'm stuffing and baking a sugar baby punkin. Fixin's. New belt...

CDFingers
ImageImage
As Stagger Lee lit a cigarette she shot him in the balls.
Blew the smoke off her revolver, had him dragged to city hall.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#777 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:50 am

CDFingers wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:09 am I'm stuffing and baking a sugar baby punkin. Fixin's. New belt...

CDFingers
Wish I could eat pumpkin. I love it. It hates me, as do all squash other than zucchini. So do sweet potatoes. :confused: :sad:

How much longer is the new belt? :lol:
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#778 Post by CDFingers » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 pm

The pie: from five blocks over little green apples, with whole cranberry sauce, Meyer lemon from the back yard, quarter inch cubes of butter, ginger, sugar, cinn, and nutmeg. I piled the apples/crans so high they began to slide off the pre-baked bottom Marie Callender crust. Could barely wrap the top around it. Butter over the top of that rubbed right off the cube. Might leak onto the bottom pan. The extra apple mix I put in a little glass baking dish. Seems some salted caramel ice cream needs to be softened beneath some of that stuff.

Will start on the yams maybe. Or the punkin stuffing.

Yeah, punkin not in a pie is an acquired affliction. First time I ran this recipe was like 1974. I was house sitting a place deep in Trabuco Canyon in soCal, and this place had a dirt parking lot. And a great huge living room for a Thanksgiving party with a live band. Yeah, the house suffered a tad. Bad juju, but the party was great.

We had this good sized punkin and like twenty people to feed. So at sunrise we laid a fire in the pit we dug in the parking lot. Blazed it up to coals. We cooked up a boat load of rice and had a zillion different veggies, cranberries, peanuts and pecans, grated three or four cheeses, diced basil--all kinds of shit. Likely some beer, too. Then we stuffed the punkin with it, put on the top, lowered it on a window screen down into the coals, laid on a wet burlap sack, and covered it up.

We played music and volley ball while in states of non ordinary reality. No damages. Sweet.

At sunset we dug it up. Bummer about the wooden window screen frame.

Now, the the squash and the stuffing were cooked perfectly, the tastes remained distinct while blending nicely, and all the cheese melted in a great gooey way all through it. Sliced it like a birthday cake, which in retrospect was messier than necessary, owing to our altered mental states. Great meal of textures and tastes. The pit, though, the pit. I mean, dig a friggin' hole in the hard hard ground and get your hail all a smelling like smoke just to bake a squash.

Today I duplicated much of the baking today but no pit. or altered states. I have an oven.

CDFingers
ImageImage

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#779 Post by lurker » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 pm

i used to be a big fan of psilicybe mushrooms, but it's been 35 or more years since i've done anything more mind-altering than an occasional hard cider and i've occasionally wondered what it would be like to look in on myself at this more advanced age.
then again, i certainly don't want to have to deal with the issues inherent in finding the necessary components. oh, well.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#780 Post by CDFingers » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:39 pm

lurker wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 pm i used to be a big fan of psilicybe mushrooms, but it's been 35 or more years since i've done anything more mind-altering than an occasional hard cider and i've occasionally wondered what it would be like to look in on myself at this more advanced age.
then again, i certainly don't want to have to deal with the issues inherent in finding the necessary components. oh, well.
Yeah, done with that stuff--but interesting recent laws show that mushrooms are good treatment for depression. How can I be depressed when this is cooling under the navel orange tree that comes due around New Year's.

cranapple2.JPG

CDFingers
ImageImage

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#781 Post by sikacz » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:34 pm

A Cherry Manhattan! Cherries by my niece.
Attachments
2C350EEF-B28F-4095-A525-EB83D8DBC222.jpeg
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#782 Post by Wino » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Dang !! Got my second shingles shot today - forgot how much the last one hurt for days. At least this was the last for this series.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
**As of Nov. 06, 2020 we have an impeached one term lame duck loser as president until Jan. 20, 2021

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#783 Post by CDFingers » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:16 pm

I've been debating shingles shots.

CDFingers
ImageImage

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#784 Post by Wino » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:45 pm

My oldest daughter recently got over a case of shingles. She plans on getting shots as soon as allowed - said she doesn't want to go thru that, again.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
**As of Nov. 06, 2020 we have an impeached one term lame duck loser as president until Jan. 20, 2021

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#785 Post by Wino » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:45 pm

My oldest daughter recently got over a case of shingles. She plans on getting shots as soon as allowed - said she doesn't want to go thru that, again.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#786 Post by sikacz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:54 pm

A few years ago I had a shingles shot. I think I may have had some soreness at the injection site. Got a flu shot earlier this year after the Covid outbreak. All it took to entice me into getting a shot was nice young pharmacist with a great friendly smile. LoL.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#787 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:57 pm

I got the shingles shots last year, before the pandemic, wasn't too bad.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#788 Post by CDFingers » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Good advice for me to look into it.

CDFingers
ImageImage

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#789 Post by Bucolic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 pm

No debating the shingles shots here. I had the old vaccine a number of years ago and the new vaccine maybe two years ago. No negative reaction. The pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine kicked my ass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#790 Post by sikacz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:17 pm

Get your shots when you can...
ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#791 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:04 pm

The High Dose flu shot hit me harder than the regular flu shot--everything is true of the empty set--never had a reaction to the regular shot but...I'm now past 65.

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

#792 Post by wings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Mmm, novocaine.

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

#793 Post by geno » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:49 am

Wino wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:44 pm Dang !! Got my second shingles shot today - forgot how much the last one hurt for days. At least this was the last for this series.
I got my first shot last month for this newer one I think Jan 10th is when I can get the second shot. I had previously gotten the one shot one back in 2014 0r 15.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

#794 Post by geno » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:00 am

CDFingers wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:16 pm I've been debating shingles shots.

CDFingers
I got shingles, back in 2012, it was not a fun time. The weird thing was I didn't think I had ever had the chicken pox. When I told my mom that, she told me I had had them when I was six months, along with my sister.
Because I didn't get to the doctors quick enough I ended up with some minor nerve damage around the edge of my arm pit.
I tell everyone to get the vaccine.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member

#795 Post by Wino » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 am

My first shot of Shingrix was Oct. 4 along with 4n1 old man flu shot - one in each arm. I ended up in ER one day later (unrelated to shots - urinary tract infection), so never really felt any results cause I felt like crap anyway. Got the following off CDC site:
Most people got a sore arm with mild or moderate pain after getting Shingrix, and some also had redness and swelling where they got the shot. Some people felt tired, had muscle pain, a headache, shivering, fever, stomach pain, or nausea. About 1 out of 6 people who got Shingrix experienced side effects that prevented them from doing regular activities. Symptoms went away on their own in about 2 to 3 days.
Those items bold are symptoms I've experienced and just took an Aleve, put on a down jacket, wool cap and plan to return to bed for a bit. All in all, better than a case of shingles IMO.

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#796 Post by Bucolic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:57 am

On another subject (shingles is mentioned), I am going into crafty hell.

When my two daughters were young, I built them each a 1:12 scale doll house. I was much younger and more industrious at the time. One of those doll houses is intact and lives in Tucson, the other was ravaged by an over-amped a bulldog a couple decades ago.

My older daughter, in whose hands I am putty, called me the other day and asked if I would be willing to build a doll house for my two granddaughters. How could I refuse?

I am building it from a kit from a Vermont company that makes a really good product. I decided to go for a simple one because I expect that one granddaughter will conscript this one and the other granddaughter will ask grandpa to build her a bigger one. So the one that I chose is reasonably small. The kit arrived yesterday and I opened it. I am doomed.

Here are some of the parts. I thought about sending this image to my daughter with a note that says here’s a picture of your doll house after the tornado is done with it.

And here is an image of what the final version should look like. Note all the brackets under the eaves, etc. Lots and lots of sanding, dying the individual shingles, painting individual balusters, hanging tiny print wallpaper, etc.

Pray for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#797 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am

I had a bad experience with shingles myself, back on my 22nd birthday. We were siding a house with cedar shingles and one and my block plane slipped. A piece of cedar went under my thumbnail and I had to go to the ER to get it taken out....

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#798 Post by CDFingers » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 am

Great project. Please pic the itty bitty roofing nails. ;-) Speaking of shingles.

CDFingers
ImageImage

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#799 Post by lurker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:36 am

you are going to have a wonderful time. be sure to sign and date it in some obscure corner.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#800 Post by sikacz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:58 am

Looks fun Bucolic! I can tell it’s going to need an addition in the near future! :whistle: :roflmao: :clap2: Enjoy!
ImageImage