Getting through this moment

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
User avatar
Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8419
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#826 Post by Bucolic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:28 pm

KlownKannon wrote:Did you say that house is 1:12? My my, you have some choices to make.


https://www.gijoeelite.com/Other-Scales ... llectibles
Dude!! Wolverine. With real adamantium claws!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
KlownKannon
Moderator
Posts: 8259
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#827 Post by KlownKannon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Bucolic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:28 pm
KlownKannon wrote:Did you say that house is 1:12? My my, you have some choices to make.


https://www.gijoeelite.com/Other-Scales ... llectibles
Dude!! Wolverine. With real adamantium claws!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might have to knock a few walls down to make it realistic.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 24343
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#828 Post by CDFingers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:51 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:48 pm I should be sitting on that porch in my muklulks and parka sipping a hot apple cider, reclining in a rocking chair with a .45 under my lap robe.

CDFingers
smoking a corn-cob pipe....
:mrgreen:

CDFingers
ImageImage.
but Delia whistled a different tune...what tune could it be?
The song that woman sung was Look out Staggerlee.

User avatar
Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#829 Post by Wino » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Finally found the house I lived in circa early 1980 in Baguio City Philippines on Google Maps & Google Earth. Was surprised it was still there considering the large earthquake in the area in early 90's. No doubt it's the same place - matches my old photos and since there was no tract housing there in those days as designed and built by owners. A bit over grown with new vegetation, but to be expected after almost 40 years - same wall, iron gate, designed concrete railings - and in area I thought it was located - no street name made it difficult - last Google photo 2018. It was close to Baguio Country Club which was close to Marcos' Country Home and just east of John Hay USAF Base R&R center on dead end road. I lived on the top level, then on down the mountain side were three more levels. Only the second level was ever occupied other than my top level. The mines I worked at are long closed and now tourist attractions.

https://www.google.com/maps/@16.4125822 ... 6656?hl=en

What got me looking again was the thread here today which mentioned chess championship as I was there during the Karpov (and I I forget the other Russian-Korchnoi?) in late 70's. I had not been able to find in the past using just Google Earth as satellite just didn't cut the mustard - but now with Google Maps and ground level pics, was able to nail that puppy. Brought back some killer memories for sure. Particularly when I broke out the old photo albums to be sure, finding pics of my dog Porky (if you know the RP and their favorite food, he was aptly named). Lived there for about 3.5 years. The area has become much more densely populated and with lots of new constructions and housing. Made my day. Now it's Margarita time in Texas !! Happy New Year, y'all !!!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

User avatar
Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8419
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#830 Post by Bucolic » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 pm

Finished hot gluing about 800 little shingles, one at a time. Exterior is done. Wallpaper is on order. Interior doors and trim and window trim are finished and waiting for the wallpaper.

I figure I have about 60 hours in it. Shingles alone were >9 hours.

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18186
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#831 Post by lurker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:23 pm

looking good! if i were shorter, i could live in that. kinda drafty this time of year with the missing wall...

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 24343
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#832 Post by CDFingers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm

That's a lot of shingles. Looking very nice.

For me, making red cabbage the way my German Gramma did, and I'm making noodles the way my wife's grandmother did. I expect to add a new belt hole.

CDFingers
ImageImage.
but Delia whistled a different tune...what tune could it be?
The song that woman sung was Look out Staggerlee.

User avatar
Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8419
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#833 Post by Bucolic » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Yum!! Homemade red cabbage and noodles...
Image

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7750
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#834 Post by featureless » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

You are an excellent grandfather.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 20341
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#835 Post by highdesert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:30 pm

Wow, master mini home builder. Then you can move up to building a tiny house on wheels.
https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7750
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#836 Post by featureless » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 pm

I finally got the slide portion and hammer spring installed on my SP01 from the pro kit I ordered... in fucking February. Always a learning experience working on your own guns. Results are a nice DA. Maybe I'll get the rest installed before 2022.

User avatar
Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8419
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#837 Post by Bucolic » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:44 pm

highdesert wrote:Wow, master mini home builder. Then you can move up to building a tiny house on wheels.
https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com
I love those things. I always felt I could live in a tiny house if I parked it next to a 5000 square foot barn.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 17010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#838 Post by sikacz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm

Great job!
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14361
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#839 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Tonight's pizza, best yet.
Portobello mushrooms, sweet Italian turkey sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and got hold of Semolina flour.
A little big for the oven, hence the place where it touched the back of the oven rack.
Jan3-2021_Pizza (2).jpg
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 12352
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: ATL Metro
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#840 Post by K9s » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Dayum, YT! Looks great!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14361
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#841 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm

K9s wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm Dayum, YT! Looks great!
Thanks, K9!

When you live in the NY/NJ metro area you have a VERY high bar to clear, 'cuz EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!

I've been working on the perfect crust since the late spring and keep getting closer. I use Wegman's Pizza Sauce, but I augment it with Victoria Marinara sauce, which really pumps up the flavor. (OK, I cheat!)
Then I coat it with lots of basil, oregano, some thyme, and some garlic flakes. Then parmesan cheese, mozzarella, then the toppings. But the ratio of sauce to mozzarella is critical. Too many frozen pizzas are 'WAY short on sauce.

The crust, the sauce, the balance of cheese and how you bake it really seems to be the key to pass the high bar of local pizza.

Every time I make it I learn something new. The Semolina Flour adds a really warmer flavor to the crust. I learned early on NEVER use a rolling pin.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 20341
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#842 Post by highdesert » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:10 am

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm Dayum, YT! Looks great!
Thanks, K9!

When you live in the NY/NJ metro area you have a VERY high bar to clear, 'cuz EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!

I've been working on the perfect crust since the late spring and keep getting closer. I use Wegman's Pizza Sauce, but I augment it with Victoria Marinara sauce, which really pumps up the flavor. (OK, I cheat!)
Then I coat it with lots of basil, oregano, some thyme, and some garlic flakes. Then parmesan cheese, mozzarella, then the toppings. But the ratio of sauce to mozzarella is critical. Too many frozen pizzas are 'WAY short on sauce.

The crust, the sauce, the balance of cheese and how you bake it really seems to be the key to pass the high bar of local pizza.

Every time I make it I learn something new. The Semolina Flour adds a really warmer flavor to the crust. I learned early on NEVER use a rolling pin.
That makes me hungry just looking at it YT, yummy. Knew an Italian family that only used San Marzano plum tomatoes in their homemade pizza sauce. I've seen Cento brand in stores locally here.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14361
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#843 Post by YankeeTarheel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm

highdesert wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:10 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm Dayum, YT! Looks great!
Thanks, K9!

When you live in the NY/NJ metro area you have a VERY high bar to clear, 'cuz EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!

I've been working on the perfect crust since the late spring and keep getting closer. I use Wegman's Pizza Sauce, but I augment it with Victoria Marinara sauce, which really pumps up the flavor. (OK, I cheat!)
Then I coat it with lots of basil, oregano, some thyme, and some garlic flakes. Then parmesan cheese, mozzarella, then the toppings. But the ratio of sauce to mozzarella is critical. Too many frozen pizzas are 'WAY short on sauce.

The crust, the sauce, the balance of cheese and how you bake it really seems to be the key to pass the high bar of local pizza.

Every time I make it I learn something new. The Semolina Flour adds a really warmer flavor to the crust. I learned early on NEVER use a rolling pin.
That makes me hungry just looking at it YT, yummy. Knew an Italian family that only used San Marzano plum tomatoes in their homemade pizza sauce. I've seen Cento brand in stores locally here.
If I can't cheat on using sauce and have to make my own (I make an excellent red sauce but my wife makes an AWESOME one), I have San Marzanos plum tomatoes just in case. Because if you're making your own pizza sauce San Marzanos are necessary. But so far the Wegman's sauce punched up with Victoria Marinara gives you virtually ideal sauce.

As I work on it, I've learned that it's key to get a perfect balance. Last night's pizza was my best yet. I gave up on the pizza stone and use a thin cookie sheet close to the bottom burner, with baking parchment sprinkled with corn mean under the crust.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 24343
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#844 Post by CDFingers » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!
I have never met a pizza I did not finish my share, though I expect there are a few I wouldn't order a second time. I'm easy with pizza. I think it starts at "good" and goes from there unless it's too burned.

CDFingers
ImageImage.
but Delia whistled a different tune...what tune could it be?
The song that woman sung was Look out Staggerlee.

User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14361
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#845 Post by YankeeTarheel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!
I have never met a pizza I did not finish my share, though I expect there are a few I wouldn't order a second time. I'm easy with pizza. I think it starts at "good" and goes from there unless it's too burned.

CDFingers
Even in New Jersey, there's a way to get lousy pizza (besides getting it from Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Chucky Cheese). My MIL (now in the Atlanta area), always insists her pizza be "lightly done!" so it's half-raw! :yawn: :sick: :whistle:

When I started dating her daughter, and many years into our marriage, MIL never, ever HAD pizza! When, desperately hungry in an airport, she finally tried it and loved it, she instantly became a "Hochum" (Yiddish for "expert").
While I love her dearly, her taste in pizza is as bad as her driving was (when she drove).
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 24343
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#846 Post by CDFingers » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:59 am

Who knew diversity would foster such experimentation?

I mean, this morning I was feeling pretty chipper what with Mitch being relegated to second fiddle and all, so I became adventurous--knowing all along there are still candy canes on the tree that's coming down maybe today. Scrambled eggs with a bit of milk, locally baked sourdough toast, Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, and some left over German red cabbage, now sort of a relish. Oh, man. Excellent. All flavored with a soupcon of magatears. So sweet.

CDFingers
ImageImage.
but Delia whistled a different tune...what tune could it be?
The song that woman sung was Look out Staggerlee.

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7750
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#847 Post by featureless » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

"Magatears" :lol:

User avatar
Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#848 Post by Wino » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Nectar of the Gods - Mega Magatears !!

FDT
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 17010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#849 Post by sikacz » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Ouzo.
Attachments
C1787F63-9594-4B4D-B7B5-5BEF1D4786B1.jpeg
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7750
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Getting through this moment

#850 Post by featureless » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:59 pm

20210131_141339_copy_3024x2268.jpg
Moss n branches

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest