Re: Getting through this moment

Bucolic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:28 pm
KlownKannon wrote:Did you say that house is 1:12? My my, you have some choices to make.

https://www.gijoeelite.com/Other-Scales ... llectibles
Dude!! Wolverine. With real adamantium claws!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might have to knock a few walls down to make it realistic.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Finally found the house I lived in circa early 1980 in Baguio City Philippines on Google Maps & Google Earth. Was surprised it was still there considering the large earthquake in the area in early 90's. No doubt it's the same place - matches my old photos and since there was no tract housing there in those days as designed and built by owners. A bit over grown with new vegetation, but to be expected after almost 40 years - same wall, iron gate, designed concrete railings - and in area I thought it was located - no street name made it difficult - last Google photo 2018. It was close to Baguio Country Club which was close to Marcos' Country Home and just east of John Hay USAF Base R&R center on dead end road. I lived on the top level, then on down the mountain side were three more levels. Only the second level was ever occupied other than my top level. The mines I worked at are long closed and now tourist attractions.

https://www.google.com/maps/@16.4125822 ... 6656?hl=en

What got me looking again was the thread here today which mentioned chess championship as I was there during the Karpov (and I I forget the other Russian-Korchnoi?) in late 70's. I had not been able to find in the past using just Google Earth as satellite just didn't cut the mustard - but now with Google Maps and ground level pics, was able to nail that puppy. Brought back some killer memories for sure. Particularly when I broke out the old photo albums to be sure, finding pics of my dog Porky (if you know the RP and their favorite food, he was aptly named). Lived there for about 3.5 years. The area has become much more densely populated and with lots of new constructions and housing. Made my day. Now it's Margarita time in Texas !! Happy New Year, y'all !!!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Tonight's pizza, best yet.
Portobello mushrooms, sweet Italian turkey sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and got hold of Semolina flour.
A little big for the oven, hence the place where it touched the back of the oven rack.
Jan3-2021_Pizza (2).jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

K9s wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm Dayum, YT! Looks great!
Thanks, K9!

When you live in the NY/NJ metro area you have a VERY high bar to clear, 'cuz EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!

I've been working on the perfect crust since the late spring and keep getting closer. I use Wegman's Pizza Sauce, but I augment it with Victoria Marinara sauce, which really pumps up the flavor. (OK, I cheat!)
Then I coat it with lots of basil, oregano, some thyme, and some garlic flakes. Then parmesan cheese, mozzarella, then the toppings. But the ratio of sauce to mozzarella is critical. Too many frozen pizzas are 'WAY short on sauce.

The crust, the sauce, the balance of cheese and how you bake it really seems to be the key to pass the high bar of local pizza.

Every time I make it I learn something new. The Semolina Flour adds a really warmer flavor to the crust. I learned early on NEVER use a rolling pin.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm
Thanks, K9!

When you live in the NY/NJ metro area you have a VERY high bar to clear, 'cuz EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!

I've been working on the perfect crust since the late spring and keep getting closer. I use Wegman's Pizza Sauce, but I augment it with Victoria Marinara sauce, which really pumps up the flavor. (OK, I cheat!)
Then I coat it with lots of basil, oregano, some thyme, and some garlic flakes. Then parmesan cheese, mozzarella, then the toppings. But the ratio of sauce to mozzarella is critical. Too many frozen pizzas are 'WAY short on sauce.

The crust, the sauce, the balance of cheese and how you bake it really seems to be the key to pass the high bar of local pizza.

Every time I make it I learn something new. The Semolina Flour adds a really warmer flavor to the crust. I learned early on NEVER use a rolling pin.
That makes me hungry just looking at it YT, yummy. Knew an Italian family that only used San Marzano plum tomatoes in their homemade pizza sauce. I've seen Cento brand in stores locally here.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:10 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm
Thanks, K9!

That makes me hungry just looking at it YT, yummy. Knew an Italian family that only used San Marzano plum tomatoes in their homemade pizza sauce. I've seen Cento brand in stores locally here.
If I can't cheat on using sauce and have to make my own (I make an excellent red sauce but my wife makes an AWESOME one), I have San Marzanos plum tomatoes just in case. Because if you're making your own pizza sauce San Marzanos are necessary. But so far the Wegman's sauce punched up with Victoria Marinara gives you virtually ideal sauce.

As I work on it, I've learned that it's key to get a perfect balance. Last night's pizza was my best yet. I gave up on the pizza stone and use a thin cookie sheet close to the bottom burner, with baking parchment sprinkled with corn mean under the crust.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!
I have never met a pizza I did not finish my share, though I expect there are a few I wouldn't order a second time. I'm easy with pizza. I think it starts at "good" and goes from there unless it's too burned.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 pm EVERYONE's a critic when it comes to .... PIZZA!
I have never met a pizza I did not finish my share, though I expect there are a few I wouldn't order a second time. I'm easy with pizza. I think it starts at "good" and goes from there unless it's too burned.

CDFingers
Even in New Jersey, there's a way to get lousy pizza (besides getting it from Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Chucky Cheese). My MIL (now in the Atlanta area), always insists her pizza be "lightly done!" so it's half-raw! :yawn: :sick: :whistle:

When I started dating her daughter, and many years into our marriage, MIL never, ever HAD pizza! When, desperately hungry in an airport, she finally tried it and loved it, she instantly became a "Hochum" (Yiddish for "expert").
While I love her dearly, her taste in pizza is as bad as her driving was (when she drove).

Who knew diversity would foster such experimentation?

I mean, this morning I was feeling pretty chipper what with Mitch being relegated to second fiddle and all, so I became adventurous--knowing all along there are still candy canes on the tree that's coming down maybe today. Scrambled eggs with a bit of milk, locally baked sourdough toast, Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, and some left over German red cabbage, now sort of a relish. Oh, man. Excellent. All flavored with a soupcon of magatears. So sweet.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack