Old bayonet resurrection

There was a thread where one of us had made a handle for a knife, and I said I'd ordered the specialized screws to fix the handle and so on.

I misplaced the thread. Looked a while and gave up. So I had this old bayonet, no idea what rifle it went to, as I got it in a pile of stuff with some now-forgotten trade. It had half a grip on one side. The chunks of what is left of it is taped to the blade.

P1010030_1.JPG

I had two pieces I think of mahogany. I cut the angle and left them very thick. The screws let me have between 3/4 and one inch unless I counter sink the screws. I will carve it to fit my hand to see if I need a counter sink. All rusty with no markings, but if you tink the blade with your fingernail, it rings pretty nice.

P1010029_1.JPG

I know bayos are not designed to have an edge, but rather to serve as thrusting weapons. Perhaps very brittle steel that might break on a slash.

Have to consider about it. I mean, it's not like you can have too many mele weapons lying around or anything. We have to remember the mele master who, when having tea with a student, was bothered by a fly. The student said, "If you're such a Master, take out that fly with that sword there." Master makes a lightening quick slash and the sword is back on the table before an eye can blink. The fly files away. "Hay! The fly still flies," wailed the student.

"But he will never again have children."

So. A short project begins with a bad dad joke. So sue me. :wave:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Old bayonet resurrection

lurker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 pm french perhaps?
Maybe. The muzzle ring is right up there on the blade.

on edit:

Dudes: look at the close up pic. The bayo/tape thing was lying on my shop floor. Look there at the tape. There's a spent primer stuck to the tape. Maybe have to sweep the shop some time.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack