What tool do I need for this?

Hello folks,

:newhere:

I’m struggling with tightening one of the screws on the portion of my bipod that quick releases/ clamps onto the pic rail. I need to tighten this screw (pictured with my index finger pointing at it in the photo below) in order for the clamp to make a tight fit.

The grooves on the screw are really shallow, and a typical flathead screwdriver head is too narrow to span the diameter of the screw head and get leverage. I’ve also tried a quarter and a nickel, but they are ever slightly too thick, or they don’t really make enough contact with the screw to bite in.

I’ve had experience with these types of screws before on a quick-release scope mount. However, the grooves on those were deeper and allowed me to use a regular screwdriver to tighten them.

I’m wondering if I’m missing a tool or technique here!

Thanks very much for your help in this probably very basic question!
ABA2AA9B-2AB0-4BF9-8B72-F6FD6594C937.jpeg

Re: What tool do I need for this?

Large allen wrench? Butter knife? Hard to tell what is happening there. I have used cheap gas station pocket knives for such things before, but I am sure something exists that I don't know about.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

wooglin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 am What's inside the hole? Anything in there that looks like it is supposed to be turned?
I believe it is the nut to the quick release skewer, so the threaded end of the rod would poke through, you just need to keep it in place.

But now that I'm thinking about it, if this is a quick release you should only be needing (wanting) to screw it to finger tight so that the clamp has enough space to crank to taught. If it is screwed in too tight, to the point requiring keeping the nut in place, it will likely be too tight to actually utilize the quick release, right?

I have a Leatherman multitool with an extra wide flathead screwdriver. If the tip doesn’t work for this type of screws, I can use the side. I can also use the back of the knife or file. In any case, I think everybody should have at least one multitool.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

keenanmj85 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:04 am I believe it is the nut to the quick release skewer, so the threaded end of the rod would poke through, you just need to keep it in place.

But now that I'm thinking about it, if this is a quick release you should only be needing (wanting) to screw it to finger tight so that the clamp has enough space to crank to taught. If it is screwed in too tight, to the point requiring keeping the nut in place, it will likely be too tight to actually utilize the quick release, right?
I'm wondering sort of along the same lines. That the screw in question is designed to turn easily. So I'm wondering if there is a locking mechanism somehow associated with the hole in the center of the screw.

Thanks everyone, these ideas are helpful.

So the center hole in the screw is just round and smooth, it won’t receive an Alan wrench or anything similar to that. I attached a better pic. (It’s the black screw near the flag & company emblem)

I like the idea of using a butter knife, I just tried with the bipod detached and unfortunately the grooves are so shallow that it’s still hard for the knife to “bite” in. Unfortunately the multi tool I have, the screwdriver part is a bit dinky. We do have a beefier one somewhere that I’m going to find that may have an extra wide flathead. I agree that an extra wide flathead seems needed!

Just to answer someone’s question up there, Even with the clamp closed the bipod is a little loose on the rail—by a few millimeters, so it just needs to get tightened a little bit.
E63C7340-9155-41CC-BB07-4C037F5950B2.jpeg

BorealFaun wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:29 pm Thanks everyone, these ideas are helpful.

So the center hole in the screw is just round and smooth, it won’t receive an Alan wrench or anything similar to that. I attached a better pic. (It’s the black screw near the flag & company emblem)

I like the idea of using a butter knife, I just tried with the bipod detached and unfortunately the grooves are so shallow that it’s still hard for the knife to “bite” in. Unfortunately the multi tool I have, the screwdriver part is a bit dinky. We do have a beefier one somewhere that I’m going to find that may have an extra wide flathead. I agree that an extra wide flathead seems needed!

Just to answer someone’s question up there, Even with the clamp closed the bipod is a little loose on the rail—by a few millimeters, so it just needs to get tightened a little bit.
E63C7340-9155-41CC-BB07-4C037F5950B2.jpeg
I see six flats on the bolt. Can you get a socket on it?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 am try to pay attention, people. black, round hole (no hex socket), slotted.
Now as I look at it, the nut is not supposed to turn! It has 6 flats on the outside matching to 6 flats on the unit, to keep it from turning. It has to be addressed from whatever is screwed into it from the other side.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:04 am
lurker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 am try to pay attention, people. black, round hole (no hex socket), slotted.
Now as I look at it, the nut is not supposed to turn! It has 6 flats on the outside matching to 6 flats on the unit, to keep it from turning. It has to be addressed from whatever is screwed into it from the other side.
Yup. Usually, there is a spring involved that allows one to push from the opposite side, pushing the nut outside of its capture well where it can be manually tightened. Alternatively, the "thingy" on the other side that has the threaded end going into the nut either turns or levers to create tension. Usually, there's no need to tighten the nut, just the screw/lever/thingy on the opposite side.